Forums are back in action! ×

Newbie who wants to improve

Hi all,

I've been reading the blog for the past couple of days at work and think it's bloody awesome, really love the writing, examples and also the exercises in there.

I'm hoping you can help if possible, I'm currently trying to get in shape for my wedding next year (as I'd like to look ok on the photos!) - I'm thinking I'd like to be a ranger/monk as I've got a black belt in jujitsu and will be going back to that in November this year after a 3 year break! but I'd like to be strong and mobile enough to do my hobby as a volunteer police officer.

I'm using a few different programs to track my workouts:
Jefit when weight lifting
Endomondo when running
Fitocracy (I like this because it's a bit like an RPG, you can level up for doing exercises and going on quests!)

Do you know of anything that combines all of these?

I'm working out 2 -3 times a week, although I do a couple more if possible, I'm following the workout plan from this website:
and using the following routines:

Workout A

1. Squats
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    1 minutes rest between sets.
  2. Bench Press
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
  3. Rows
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
  4. Triceps Press Downs
    1 set of 10-12 reps.
  5. Calf Raises
    1-2 sets of 10-12 reps.
    1 minute rest between sets.

Workout B

1. Deadlifts
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
  2. Pull-Ups (or Lat Pull-Downs) (I'm on lat pull downs but after reading your article I'm going to give inverse rows a try when I can't do any more pull ups!)
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
  3. Overhead Shoulder Press
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
  4. Biceps Curls
    1 set of 10-12 reps.
  5. Abs
    1-2 sets of 10-12 reps.
    1 minute rest between sets.
If I'm doing consecutive days then I'll go running (intervals after reading the blog!) or do a cardio session instead at the gym to rest the muscles, but I was wondering if there was anything you can see that I could improve?

I'm not one for cooking but again have been inspired to try and start cooking, maybe one meal here and there and build up.  I do live with a vegetarian though so was wondering if you had any advice around that?  Should I just do veggie stuff, or 2 meals?

Cheers!

Edit - bit more about me:
I live in the UK and work normal office hours as well, I'm a fan of craft ales and like trying new and different ones...I'm not the healthiest of eaters so that is one of my targets after I get my workouts into a semblance of normality and into the habit of doing 2 or 3 a week for strength and some cardio as well

I'm too much of a Newbie myself to answer your questions.  But I wanted to say Welcome!

And my husband is vegetarian too.  I've learned several healthy tofu/veggie recipes that we enjoy. 

Stir fry is really easy and we are big on homemade black bean burgers too.

Level 1  Wild Elf Druid
Introduction, Battle Log

Challenge #1,  Challenge #2,  

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." ~ Joss Whedon

"Only those who risk going too far, find out how far they can go." ~ Walter Bishop