Forums are back in action! ×

Excited to be joining the Rebellion.

Aside from the last few years of my life, I have always been in pretty good shape.  I was a dancer my whole life, until I graduated high school.  I lost most of my muscle in college, but due to constantly walking and not eating very much I kept pretty thin.  It's been a few years since graduating college now, and being a real adult and having to balance my work, my social life, and my budget, has taken its toll: I haven't been taking care of myself.  I've put on a decent amount of weight and am overall embarassingly weak.  When I was out the other day and had trouble opening a door I realized something really needs to change - I seriously need to start strength training.  Apart from the general health benefits of being strong, I want to be able to do things on my own.  I'm tired of needing to get a guys help to lift heavy things at work!  Also, as a female living in a city I would like to be able to have some confidence that I can even slightly defend myself if for some reason I had to. 

The problem is, I have trouble staying committed to work out plans.  I'll work out (usually dance or running with a very small amount of body weight exercises) consistantly for a month or two, then I'll have to travel for work for a few days, and when I come back I don't start again and don't start again for a few months.  Rinse and repeat.  I need more motivation, more accountability.  I tried doing this on my own by  just tracking my progress on My Fitness Pal, but this hasn't proved enough.

Then a few days ago I found Nerd Fitness! I've been reading the blog and lurking on the forums pretty much every free moment I have had since then.  I LOVE the idea of role playing in real life!  I am a huge nerd (my NerdFitness handle minus the numbers is also my D&D character name, and is also short for Raxacoricofallapatorius. Enough said.) and I think both a community and the nerdy aspect of working out and leveling up will keep me motivated.  So off I go to join the current 6 week challenge.