Forums are back in action! ×

New here, lots of good information on this site

Hi everyone,

My name is Dev, and I have been working to try to be more fit for a while at this time.  After reading the various stories on this site, i felt I could relate to a few, and also attach a bit of mine.

A little about myself, I'm a recently college grad who majored in mathematics and am working full time while pursuing a graduate degree.

I find working out a good way to resolve and reduce my stress levels, and also furthermore boost my energy. Yet I do have one problem, I never felt like I was in very good shape. I'm 5'9-5'10, male, and weigh about 162 pounds (im guessing most of it is fat). My goal is to try to convert that to mostly muscle and reduce my fat percentage to less than 8% WHILE eating enough to give me ample energy through the day. This is a tough goal for me and in the past I felt I went in many the wrong ways to address it.

In the past I have been hitting the gym doing high reps and low weights (never felt much of a gain), and doing intense cardio. The truth is I will probably continue to do cardio because I enjoy running, hiking, walking, stair climbing alot (gets me more energized), but I am also looking to work on my strength training heavily. After reading here, I am going to try lower reps and much more higher, almost impossible to lift weights.

I understand dieting is heavy, after reading many articles here, I am going to start cooking the majority of my food or eating at restaurants I can understand what is going in the foods (not McDonalds and other fast foods). I love my wheats and carbs so those will be difficult for me to end, so I will continue to eat multigrain whole bread and whole wheat pasta in MODERATION. but also include heavy protien in chicken and fish.

Regardless, this is where I am starting. Now off the fitness talk and a bit more about myself.

Outside of work and school (hate both, sitting at desks and stuff), I enjoy nature, scenery, going out and stuff. As a kid and even now, I get depressed if I must sit at home for a long time. I like to be out and about and explore things. In my free time i typically go for good drives, walks, shoot photgraphy (which I am slowly getting back into!) and other things of that nature. I also tutor from my mathematics background whenever I have time, and just be outgoing and energetic. I love to party, hit the clubs, drink a ton (bad habit), but I have been slowly trying to cut down on that alongside my stress levels.

Well that is alot of me at once. I'll be sure to update and keep good touch with the community here, ya'll seem like super cool people!