Forums are back in action! ×

Can you teach a 30 something year old Jedi penguin new tricks?

Whew, 

Were to begin, I’m 31 years old and an army veteran.  I got out of the military about 8 years ago due to a back injury I earned while deployed.  Since then I have treated my body horribly.  I ate pretty much anything that you could image was bad for you and used the excuse of my injury to avoid any and all forms of exercise.  To occupy my time between going to my semi sedentary job and sleeping I would play MMO’s or just hang out with my son’s (who both have autism) and wife.

When I was in my last year of college (about 3 years ago <late bloomer>) I really started to pack on the weight and was at about 270 pounds.  My wife was concerned so I did the classic exercise yoyo.  I went on a strict diet less than 1400 calories a day and cardio daily at the gym.  Occasionally I would cheat, but I basically stuck with this routine for 3 months and managed to get my weight down to 210 pounds.  As we all know this is not sustainable so gradually over a year I reached 250 pounds again.  Now 3 years later here I am 285 pounds and in probably the worst shape of my life.  My work schedule is complicated to say the least but, basically its 12 hour shifts with a 1.4 hour commute both ways so I have very little time to do anything other than sleep on the days I work.   In a 7 day period I have either 3 or 4 days off so a normal routine won’t work for me.  Not to mention I do still have the back injury so I have to be gentle with it. 

Despite all the challenges since I have started reading/ lurking on nerd fitness I have been inspired.  All the positive energy and unbiased info has ignited my desire to become not skinny, but fit.   I started walking on the days I am off and am going to start strength training on the days I work.  I am also considering the on ramp class at my local cross-fit box.  For my diet I am not going paleo despite all the benefits ( I fracking love cheese), but am going to keep my calories to a reasonable 1800 and work from there once I start strength training.   I have to lose this weight for both myself and my family.  I’m ready to join the rebellion!

Height: 5’9

Weight: 285

Class: previously warrior, now marshmallow, soon to be ranger.

MMO’s Played: WoW,GW1, GW2, D3 (I know it’s not technically an MMO),Aion ,TOR, Wild star open beta