Forums are back in action! ×

Can't Stop Biting

One of my goals is to stop biting my nails and I can't seem to get any traction on this! I can go a day without biting them but then they start peeling. So I try to get the peeling bits off and that takes away that whole nail. Then I start getting stressed about it and I just end up biting them anyway.

I've been trying to stop biting my nails for years now and I swear I've tried every trick in the book. I've tried fakes and bad tasting polish. I even wore gloves for weeks on end just so I couldn't see them. But nothing has worked.

Does anyone have any advice?

Starting weight: 195    Now weight: 160

A past will chase you if you try to escape from it, but once you confront it, it's just an old memory inside you.

That sounds really good for work. I end up biting when I'm working on a particularly difficult problem so I tend to do it mindlessly. Should bring it back to the forefront.

A past will chase you if you try to escape from it, but once you confront it, it's just an old memory inside you.

Dip your fingers in Tabasco!!! 

I thought their was some sort of stuff that people put on fingers to make it taste bad for thumbsuckers.

Have you tried just chewing gum?

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

I-Jo - I don't mind replacement stuff but I don't think I can chew on baby spoons at work and that is where I do the majority of my biting.

KAllen- I tried the bad tasting stuff but it wouldn't stop me. I just chewed the polish off. I tried gum and it works for a while, but then my jaw gets really tired.

I do exactly the same thing, I pretty much only bite when concentrating hard in front of the computer. What helped me is switching to a standing desk. That wasn't the main purpose of course but I noticed that when I couldn't slouch and hang on my elbow I actually sort of stopped biting as well. Win-win.

Also have a nail file and scissors next to you at all times and as soon as you see any loose bits trim them off instead of biting them off. 

I've found that as I've severely decreased my soda intake (and the caffeine that went with it), I've also stopped biting nearly as much. Now it's only a want if I get bored. I've also purchased a mini manicure set to make sure my nails are as clean as pretty as possible for as long as possible. It's been about three days since I really bit anything, give to take a hangnail here or there.