Forums are back in action! ×

Toss the Red Shirt

Hello Everyone

I've been subscribed to the Nerd Fitness articles for a while. The're amusing and pretty interesting to read. I've never been into sports and fitness but after I turned 30 I started to make some changes to my life.

I've been overweight since high school and I got fed up with having a lack of energy. 

I've been dieting and exercising since February of this year. I mostly do yoga and play video games on my exercise bike. It's worked out pretty well and I've lost 30ish pounds.

I met my goals of getting to a healthy body weight and completing a warrior dash event. I'm not really sure where to go from here though.

If any of you have suggestions ideas or questions I would appreciate the input.

Welcome! 

What are your current goals?  Do you want to be faster? stronger? healthier?   Once you figure that out, you can start looking around for a push in the right direction.

Level 1  Wild Elf Druid
Introduction, Battle Log

Challenge #1,  Challenge #2,  

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." ~ Joss Whedon

"Only those who risk going too far, find out how far they can go." ~ Walter Bishop

Welcome! 

What are your current goals?  Do you want to be faster? stronger? healthier?   Once you figure that out, you can start looking around for a push in the right direction.

My current goals were to lose some weight and run a warrior dash event. I lost 40 pounds and did the race. I only have a few more pounds to lose before I'm right in the middle of the healthy BMI range. I guess next I'm going to work on muscle tone and getting better at yoga. 

Hi Outlier! First off, welcome to Nerd Fitness, it's always good to have more Rebels aboard :)

And let me also say well done on achieving so much already! 40 pounds is a big achievement!

Personally what I'd do in your situation now is take stock of some epic goals you might have. I'll give you a couple of mine as an example :) First off, I want to be able to do a one armed, hand-stand push up (modeled here by Vegeta) and a 90 degree push up. These are SUPER FAR AWAY goals but give me a good idea of what I need to be doing to get there. So for now I'm working on a handstand and getting stronger.

And I also want to be able to do a handstand when I go on holiday to Norway (I don't know when but it's next) so I can go the Jutenheimen Mountain range and 'hold it in my hands'

So my advice would do is think about where you want to be when you're max level. A burly warrior? A weight lifting regime perhaps. A dashing swordsman? Fencing or Historical Fencing would suit. Maybe you want to be like Ezio or Altair, then parkour and climbing would do well!

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Playing video games on exercise bike, that is an epic idea haha. They should like get most video gamers to do that these days, but you can't out ride a bad diet haha.

Excellent work losing 40lb!

I think you should set some goals, go into the 6 week challenge and work on some strength training.

Race: Hobbit

Class: Warrior

Level: 3

STR: 12 DEX: 3 STA: 4 CON: 4 WIS: 3 CHA: 4

Check out my first challenge! http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38158-lawrences-super-adventure/

Playing video games on exercise bike, that is an epic idea haha. They should like get most video gamers to do that these days, but you can't out ride a bad diet haha.

Excellent work losing 40lb!

I think you should set some goals, go into the 6 week challenge and work on some strength training.

Everyone thought my "gamer cycle" was a silly idea but it works well for me. It took a while to get my legs moving on their own so I didn't slow down when I started concentrating on harder parts of a game but after a while it makes 40 minutes on the bike feel like 5 minutes. 

I tried reading on a treadmill as well but I kept getting motion sickness or tripping on my own feet. 

Hi Outlier! First off, welcome to Nerd Fitness, it's always good to have more Rebels aboard :)

And let me also say well done on achieving so much already! 40 pounds is a big achievement!

Personally what I'd do in your situation now is take stock of some epic goals you might have. I'll give you a couple of mine as an example :) First off, I want to be able to do a one armed, hand-stand push up (modeled here by Vegeta) and a 90 degree push up. These are SUPER FAR AWAY goals but give me a good idea of what I need to be doing to get there. So for now I'm working on a handstand and getting stronger.

And I also want to be able to do a handstand when I go on holiday to Norway (I don't know when but it's next) so I can go the Jutenheimen Mountain range and 'hold it in my hands'

So my advice would do is think about where you want to be when you're max level. A burly warrior? A weight lifting regime perhaps. A dashing swordsman? Fencing or Historical Fencing would suit. Maybe you want to be like Ezio or Altair, then parkour and climbing would do well!

I had to check youtube to see if a one handed hand stand push up was actually humanly possible. That looks really awesome I hope you get to that point. Your power level will be over 9000 by then for sure.  

I'm going to spend a little time thinking about that max level idea. I'm not 100% sure what direction I'm going. Visualizing the end result is a good plan to see what I want.

Maybe something that's part yoga / cardio and part strength training would work for me. I'm not sure if that's a super effective approach.

And I will consider it a win when my power level is that high :P

Hmm, how about some of the bodyweight skills with the assassins? That is kind of a mix of strength and yoga (maybe :P ) Things like planches or holding yourself on gymnastic rings. A few of the assassins have goals for that this challenge so it could be worth looking into

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4