Forums are back in action! ×

So my wife has Bell's Palsy...

Hey there Rebels!

Just looking to see if any of my fellow rebels has gone through and overcome Bell's Palsy.

Over the weekend, my wife was hit with it.  I did my nerd thing and did a metric $% ton of Bing/Google searching after the diagnosis at the Dr's and found out that it is on the great majority, able to be overcome.  Most people recover from it.

If you have gone through this, what did you do?  Were you a part of the Rebellion when this happened?

We plan on getting a follow up visit with her doctor to get her checked out and possibly further tests.  There are Bell's Palsy related cases with people who are diabetic - while she is not, her family has a history of diabetes.  Also this can happen to pregnant women - while she is not currently, you can never be too sure.  The Kenobi swimmers are a mighty proud race.  :victorious:

So anywho...  that's what's up in this Time Lord's corner of the universe.

"First, decide who you would be and then do what you must do." ~Epictetus 

My fiance went through that, she basically just had to wait it out. She has no noticeable effects from it now. If I recall, hers happened after she took some prescription meds, antibiotics I believe.

She can even look back and laugh at it now... watching her try and drink water was.. interesting.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Sorry don't have any helpful advice, but give your wife a hug from all of us at NF.

Thanks, E.G.!  It means a lot to me.  :-)

My fiance went through that, she basically just had to wait it out. She has no noticeable effects from it now. If I recall, hers happened after she took some prescription meds, antibiotics I believe. She can even look back and laugh at it now... watching her try and drink water was.. interesting.

Thanks, Insanity.  Yeah, brushing teeth, drinking, chewing.  Kinda crazy.  Her taste buds are kinda fried, for the now anyway.  I picked up a nice meal replacement shake for her to have in the mornings to help her along.  Thanks for the input.  From what I've read, sometimes it can come back....?  Did your fiance or does she ever have any returning symptoms?

Thanks, E.G.!  It means a lot to me.  :-)

Thanks, Insanity.  Yeah, brushing teeth, drinking, chewing.  Kinda crazy.  Her taste buds are kinda fried, for the now anyway.  I picked up a nice meal replacement shake for her to have in the mornings to help her along.  Thanks for the input.  From what I've read, sometimes it can come back....?  Did your fiance or does she ever have any returning symptoms?

Nothing to date, and it's been a couple years now...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Oh, I'm really sorry to hear this. It happened to one of my best friends - for him it was likely stress-induced. It lasted a few months and was pretty unpleasant... no pain, but people staring, and the difficulties you're talking about with brushing teeth and eating and drinking. Eventually it went away on its own and hasn't come back since. I wish your wife a speedy recovery.

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.

Hit me for 2 to 3 weeks. My neice was 4 plus weeks as I recall. We both recovered fully. It was not painful but was tiring.  Hard to explain.  Drinking and eating were a pain in  the arse!  Be careful with the eye on that side.  My niece ended up with a pretty nasty infection and it was attributed to the eye not fully closing and drying out overnite.  ????

As best I can recall. full recovery is the norm. I'm sure she will be fine.

Oh, I'm really sorry to hear this. It happened to one of my best friends - for him it was likely stress-induced. It lasted a few months and was pretty unpleasant... no pain, but people staring, and the difficulties you're talking about with brushing teeth and eating and drinking. Eventually it went away on its own and hasn't come back since. I wish your wife a speedy recovery.

Thank you, Huntress!  Much appreciated.  She has a follow up visit with her doctor tomorrow.  

Hit me for 2 to 3 weeks. My neice was 4 plus weeks as I recall. We both recovered fully. It was not painful but was tiring.  Hard to explain.  Drinking and eating were a pain in  the arse!  Be careful with the eye on that side.  My niece ended up with a pretty nasty infection and it was attributed to the eye not fully closing and drying out overnite.  ????

As best I can recall. full recovery is the norm. I'm sure she will be fine.

Thanks, Fly!  Yeah, the eye lid can in many cases not close fully.  As is the case with my wife, so we bought her some protective one-use eye patches that she puts on during the night to protect her eye.  Worked so far.

Thanks again ALL REBELS for the input and support!  Much appreciated!

all my love to you and your family...

portada_stay_strong_by_dayiii-d5f0nx8.jp

You never fail to back a brotha' up ETF.  :victorious:  Thanks man.

News Update.  My wife's doctor's appointment went well.  Doctor isn't worried, she said we did the right thing and got diagnosed during the whole fiasco instead of waiting and seeing what happened, so that's good.  My wife is on the mend, noticeable improvements the last few days.  Better control of her facial muscles, but not complete control.  Her tongue is still numb too.  Definitely thankful that she is on the mend!