Forums are back in action! ×

I'm just really bad at this kind of thing and hey I'll admit really not at tech anything kind of person (I can't even get a picture to work).  I found Nerd Fitness when a few friends and a doctor recommended the Paleo Diet to solve some major stomach and intestinal issues that have plagued me for almost ten years.  I did a ton of research and decided to try it on my own.  I've been doing great for about six weeks, but know I could be doing better.  

I at least made some baby steps on my own and I feel that baby steps are best for me.  I'm not ready for something extreme, though a lot of people think my diet is extreme, I'm sure they haven't had the problems I've had, like being in the hospital for months with no help on a liquid diet. Low fiber, bland and gross. Not very nutritious or tasty, sick several times a week.  So i decided to try Paleo for 30 days, I had nothing to lose and it worked. It hasn't been about the weight loss or getting ripped so far, its been about being healthy and functioning like a normal person. 

The results just for my guts have been amazing and it's made me want to strive for more, I want to be the way I was before i got sick, but I feel now i have a great set of "blocks" to build from, I just need some great people around me to make it work.

Just a bit of back round- When i first got sick I was in ok shape, I've always been pretty active and I walk everywhere just because I can't drive (I have extremely poor depth perception and am really near sighted so learning to drive was a nightmare. I gave up about ten years ago and rely on my feet and public transportation) When I first got sick i weighed about 150, worked out regularly and was super built. After i got sick and spent my first almost three months in the hospital i was about 110 weak and gross.  I really never gained the muscle back i just kind of grew into a soft mass, like Jaba only i can walk long distances and lift a ton of weight as long as i use my legs (Eastern European stock). I've slimmed down a bit with Paleo and can eat a wider variety of foods with the exception of raw carrots and cabbage (i can't digest them and they make me very sick) but the more i get into it i want to change to the healthy side I don"t want to end up like my Mother a former gymnast and cheerleader who gained a hundred pound after having three kids and then having a massive stroke at 54, my dad who had a stroke at 57 or even my grandpa that died at 64 after two strokes and two heart attacks.

so yes six weeks into what was a 30 day Paleo challenged changed me, i want to be healthy its not a numbers game. I wore a smaller size 10 years a go at the same weight because i had the muscle i was fit, lean and mean. It is possible and like i said baby steps. 

over the last 6 weeks, my mind set has changed I just need a bit of motivation and from just following quietly here I think its possible to find some help.  Not looking for a miracle just a shoulder.

Just a bit of what I'm looking for- Just some support I work a lot about 50 hours a week with about 36 hours of that being 12 hour shifts on my feet lifting heavy things and running around like ET stuck in the pit of that old Atari game.  I have two rescue pups in a tiny apartment that  are not apartment friendly breeds and I am fully aware of their needs (I walk about 4-5 miles a day just so they are exercised and happy  not including just play, I'm a responsible pet owner and sometimes their needs come before mine but i grew up with K-9s and hunting dogs a happy dog is a tried dog and I enjoy our walks and ball time in the yard) i need to fit in some weight training and how do i eat when i have no time? those twelve hour shifts kill. I still want time to read and relax but my down time is usually spent cleaning and relaxing.

sorry to ramble but it is what it is i'm stuck in the middle, and the transition is hard when you have the party crowd around and you want to grow up. 

i feel good here and hope if you can help me I can help you!

Welcome!  It sounds like you have some good motivation for getting healthier and that you are already off to a good start.

Stick around and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.

Level 1  Wild Elf Druid
Introduction, Battle Log

Challenge #1,  Challenge #2,  

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." ~ Joss Whedon

"Only those who risk going too far, find out how far they can go." ~ Walter Bishop