Forums are back in action! ×

Britain: For all members of the American Expeditionary Force

http://hardscrabblefarm.com/ww2/britain.htm

So I found this and love it.

I thought it might aid understanding within the community even this long after it's production. I would also add that the sign a Briton likes you is when he starts offending you. In fact I'd go so far as to say despite the included sense that American's believe the British to be polite, being as offensive as humanly possible to your friends is a popular British past time.

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

Some of that does still hold true (minus the war stuff) especially the difference between english reservedness (hacked away somewhat by americanisation) and the american exuberance (this is easy to see in the 'overheard in the gym' thread) and it's true about insulting people, i'd never say to a stranger, no matter how dickish they're being, the things i say to my mates (i wouldn't say them in front of my mother either but that's by the by). Accents definitely vary quicker in the UK than the US, it's said that in yorkshire the accent changes every mile, an exaggeration but you get the picture. Also 'bloody' has died off a bit and is no way near the worst swearword (that's held by the loveliest of C words) and swearing is much more accepted than in america, with only the C-word being bleeped out after 9pm, sometimes it can be left in though

and now a QI clip to highlight the hilarity of accents :)

and another for our use of swearwords on the telly 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_fAoJY_v4I

as you can see the f word is bleeped but shit isn't, we're odd like that 

'The whole of Great Britain-that is England and Scotland and Wales together-is hardly bigger than Minnesota. England's largest river, the Thames (pronounced "Terns") is not even as big as the Mississippi when it leaves Minnesota.'

Funnily enough, I'm a Brit living in Minnesota. But I beg to differ that the river Thames is pronounced 'Terns'. It's closer to 'Tems'. And my maiden surname is the same (Thame), but pronounced 'Tay-m'. I can honestly say I've never heard it said 'Terns' in any accent.

'It is always impolite to criticize your hosts;

It is militarily stupid to criticize your allies.'

I thought this was common courtesy world over. Sadly not the case.

Pixie Ranger Drunk on Tea~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

'The whole of Great Britain-that is England and Scotland and Wales together-is hardly bigger than Minnesota. England's largest river, the Thames (pronounced "Terns") is not even as big as the Mississippi when it leaves Minnesota.'

Funnily enough, I'm a Brit living in Minnesota. But I beg to differ that the river Thames is pronounced 'Terns'. It's closer to 'Tems'. And my maiden surname is the same (Thame), but pronounced 'Tay-m'. I can honestly say I've never heard it said 'Terns' in any accent.

'It is always impolite to criticize your hosts;

It is militarily stupid to criticize your allies.'

I thought this was common courtesy world over. Sadly not the case.

Yes, no one I spoke to knows what terns is all about. The river is pronounces "Tems" though slightly breathy on the T. There is a village in Berkshire called Thame though which is said "Taym"

I grew up around an American Air Force base which was closed at the end of the cold war. The American's were always overly polite and on their best behaviour, even when sneaking into the brothel. I think they were probably cautioned with this.

Where as our Squaddies tend to be more of a case of lock up your women and remove the pool cues.Which I imagine is how American troops are at home anyway.

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2