Forums are back in action! ×

Lower Back Soreness after RDLs

Hi everybody,

I just started incorporating single-leg romanian deadlifts (RDLs) into my routine. I did them for the first time last Friday with probably a 10lb dumbbell in each hand. When I was doing them, I felt it in my hamstrings (like I'm supposed to), but after (like 1-2 hours), I felt it in my lower back. In fact, I still feel it in my lower back and it's Monday morning... My hamstrings are also still sore. So my question is, did I do something wrong or am I just not used to that movement? I should mention that Friday was kind of a "backside" day, meaning most of my exercises focused on my back and my hamstrings. I also did one-arm dumbbell rows, but I've never had those cause soreness in my lower back.

On one hand, I'm like - good! That means I'm strengthening my lower back!

On the other hand, I'm like - uh, was that too much? Was that wrong? 

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

If it's a muscle that's not used to taking a beating, it can be sore 3-4 days. It does happen. If I go and do 100 chin/pulls ups in a night my back and lats are almost broken for 3-4 days and I'm using to doing 30-40 chin/pull ups on every workout I was doing this summer.

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

When I first started single leg RDL's I felt them in my lower back as well as the hamstrings, so you're not alone!  As long as it's just DOMS pain, and not I just ruined my back pain, you'll be fine.  Form check could be a good idea as well.

It definitely feels like the type of DOMS you get where it sucks to sit down for a few days. But it did come on pretty fast. I'm supposed to do more RDLs on Friday and I'll use the same weight and see if I get the same results (OR the muscles have repaired and rebuilt). 

In the past, whenever I've done RDL-type movement, it's made me sore so I avoided them. But maybe it is sore because it needs to build up!

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Maybe you should video yourself to check your form. Your back is supposed to be straight, if you are rounding your back, that might put bad pressure on your back. I like to warm up by doing a few without weight to make sure I am doing them properly

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27