Forums are back in action! ×

Ways to quit the dirty habit

Hi all

Wasnt sure on the best part of the forum to post this.

At the moment I'm one of those dirty smokers. I've tried to quit numerous times in the past, and never suceeded. I now feel like this is really holding me back.

I do want to quit, money and health reasons alone make this worth it, I just don't know how to do it.

I currently live with my parents who both smoke, and work full time in a job which tends to get stressful.

Can anyone please suggest a few tips that they have used themselves or know has proven to work for friends/family?

Thanks

Champix helped my sister quit. She said it made her hate the Smell of them.

And lots of support from friends and family.

And she chews gum a lot now... But better than smoking.

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens

Associate more pain to smoking and more pleasure to no smoking.

Set goals, make yourself accountable to friends and family.

Inflict pain every time you smoke, like you have to wear something you hate and that is embarrassing around public.

Every day you don't smoke reward yourself with something.

Race: Hobbit

Class: Warrior

Level: 3

STR: 12 DEX: 3 STA: 4 CON: 4 WIS: 3 CHA: 4

Check out my first challenge! http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38158-lawrences-super-adventure/

The Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Allen Carr

It has helped myself, my mom, my girlfriend, her father, her mother, and her uncle quit. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Protip: it also requires a bit of willpower. Make sure you have some of that.

"That's it!  You people have stood in my way long enough.  I'm going to clown college!"

"Some curs'd fraud of enemy hath beguil'd thee, yet unknown, and me with thee hath ruin'd, for with thee certain my resolution is to die."

This is going to sound silly, but keep a small bottle of strong mouth wash with you. When you get the urge to smoke, go to the washroom and rinse your mouth. I find the tingling sensation can easily replace the 'satisfaction' from a smoke. I'm an ex-smoker myself.

Also, check out this website, they have lots of neat tricks. http://whyquit.com/

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

I'm on Wellbutrin. I smoke. I'm not really trying to quit, but since I've become stabilized on Wellbutrin (taking it for like 6 weeks), I only feel like smoking about half (or less) as much. I went 8 hours without a cigarette one night when hanging out with the bf. We weren't even really doing anything, and I didn't even think much of smoking. It was slightly chilly out. That was enough to stop me from wanting to.

It's about $30/mo for the generic, if you are on 150 mg. It activates the nicotinoid receptors, so you don't feel like smoking. Your Dr. could prescribe it to you as it's commonly given to smokers as a cessassion aid.

The Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Allen Carr

It has helped myself, my mom, my girlfriend, her father, her mother, and her uncle quit. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Protip: it also requires a bit of willpower. Make sure you have some of that.

+1 for this.

I tried all sorts over the years and this book is the only thing that allowed me to stop and that was about 14 years ago so it definitely worked :)

You have to really want to stop, but definitely read Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

+1 for this.

I tried all sorts over the years and this book is the only thing that allowed me to stop and that was about 14 years ago so it definitely worked :)

You have to really want to stop, but definitely read Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr

+2 for Easy Way

For me, the first key was working on breaking habits. For example I would say to myself "I am going to drive all the way to the store without smoking" because smoking in the car was a major habit of mine. Granted, I would smoke one right before I got in of the car and one right after I got out of the car, but it was all about breaking that habit. I also used the nicotine patch as a mental crutch, but I honestly think that did more harm than good... kicking the patch was physically tough (stomach aches, insomnia, mental break down, etc.) and it left red marks on my skin for weeks.

But I REALLY think Carr's book was the kicker. While I was reading it I would think "this is so stupid and it will never work for me," but then I noticed I was constantly thinking about the book whenever I was smoking or wanting a cigarette. 

I smoked for 15 years and never thought I'd quit (which I finally did 4 months ago). Now, I can honestly say I LOVE being a nonsmoker. Not having cigarettes run my life is amazing. I love not having to worry about it when I travel or am around people who don't smoke. I used to NOT do something fun because I wouldn't be able to smoke.  

I definitely recommend Easy Way. Its not expensive, give it a shot. 

Good Luck!

It's not easy being green.