Forums are back in action! ×

What do you do besides handstand pushups that hits your upper traps?

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

What do you do besides handstand pushups that hits your upper traps?

One arm handstand and flag work

The way I do one arm handstands just annihilates the upper traps; hold for 15 sec, switch arms, hold for 15 sec, switch arms, and so on. Its sort of like rest pause trap work.

Think doing long isometric pause 2x BW shrugs. I would think with a barbell eventually grip is going to be a bigger limiting factor than the traps when shrugging.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

It seems more like circus dumbbell lockouts, but I get the idea. Is it a big trick once you're strong to pull off a human flag? Do you have any resources for a progression on them? They'll never be a staple of my training but they look like a fun trick movement.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

It seems more like circus dumbbell lockouts, but I get the idea. Is it a big trick once you're strong to pull off a human flag? Do you have any resources for a progression on them? They'll never be a staple of my training but they look like a fun trick movement.

There aren't a lot of good flag resources, all of them have big gaps. Beastskills.com has a good write up on it.

I think a lot of guys find it kind of easy. Once you reach a level of general strength to weight ratio it just comes to you. This is why most of the "progressions" suck, most people that got it didn't really get it progressively. Most BW folks tend to be small and have small legs. In the world of BW I'm a near giant.

OTOH I've been working on it a long time now. I started doing short inverted holds, getting near vertical and holding it for a second or two, just practicing that motion (basically doing a one arm handstand, using the upper arm to prevent you from falling). Once I could get inverted and hold it for a few seconds, then I started tucking my knees and doing tuck flag negatives from that inverted position. And that is where I am now. I actually held a tuck flag the other day.

The point of max stress in a flag is the traps of your lower arm, really extending the shoulders. It is very similar to a one arm handstand.

currently cutting

don't panic!

My cut is officially over.

I had a choice, exceed my goal of 17500 cals deficit total by 75 cals OR drink a beer and miss my goal by 80 cals. I'm drinking a beer. Will know final measurements tomorrow, but I exceeded my goal on the tape measure.

Went to the splash park today. Got a much better reprise of the same photo I took at the pool.

56f6e18a-f8de-49c6-9ef2-bb2883401446_zps

Here's a photo from the same place almost exactly 2 years ago. Just as I finished losing weight, starting my first bulk:

2fe5ed84-8700-423a-b58a-c8ccf2555168_zps

One more shot, a comparison of similar shots from 2013 and 2014. I'm 1 lb heavier this year than last and my waist is 3.5" smaller.

5a361c8e-ecc3-4518-84be-a434fabf64f6_zps

• Like 2

currently cutting

don't panic!

Back to bulking, started yesterday.

Measurements at the end of my cut were a bit scary, but things popped back to normal once cals were raised.

I have chest DOMS today! I didn't notice it until I started today's workout, but it is definitely there. I haven't had chest DOMS in a long, long time, including times when I was just silly with volume in hopes of prompting DOMS.

What did it? I'm nearing/in the transition point, learning to open my knees while in a tuck planche. Baby steps at the moment. I'm going to blitz the movement GTG style to really find that groove in my mind. It worked for the front lever (at the exact same point). I did several short holds throughout the day on Sat/Sun. Took a break yesterday and today due to elbow soreness (taking the cautious approach for sure). All I'm really doing is getting into a tuck planche then opening the knees just a smidge while tilting forward, holds no longer than 5 sec. Its enough though to train that movement. But apparently it hits the chest pretty good too.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Yeaaah.

Great day of measurements today. Odd given that it is week 1 of bulking, but I'll take it. Up across the board from last week, and almost all areas are to where they were at their largest last bulk. Upper arms and the bi-delt measurement are new records.

Man I scored yesterday. Our current house is still on the market, interest here and there, hopeful that today's tours lead to an offer, however... One requirement for our next house is a proper man cave. Which means we either have a finished (or finishable) basement or 3 livingroom/familyroom/den type areas in the house. I plan on building a MAME (full size arcade game with lots of various classic games), I want a pool table (though will probably have to get a house that has one if I'm going to have one any time soon); yesterday I just scored another piece. Neighbor is moving across coutry, getting rid of stuff. He had an unopened/unassembled hockey game table (very similar too foosball) that he sold me for $50. Worth over $500. So the man cave is starting to come together. Going to have a screen on the wall to watch games, a comfy couch, a kegging system for homebrew, and various distracting toys.

• Like 2

currently cutting

don't panic!

Your man cave sounds glorious!! Nice score on the hockey game table! Cha-ching!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Hey Waldo, throughout your bulking / cutting, have you seen any differences between meat-based protein and whey / casein / protein through shakes and bars? 

I'm starting my first real attempt at a cut and I'm thinking I'm just going to turn my lunch into my standard protein shake (542 cals, 38g Carbs, 10g Fat, 76g Protein).  I'm assuming as you are a big proponent of IIFYM, you have NOT seen any downfalls to getting protein through shakes versus meats, but I was just curious. 

My thinking is that if making a few pieces of chicken breast every week, and doing one less scope of Whey will work better, I'll do it, but whey is cheaper then chicken and easier. 

Hey Waldo, throughout your bulking / cutting, have you seen any differences between meat-based protein and whey / casein / protein through shakes and bars? 

I'm starting my first real attempt at a cut and I'm thinking I'm just going to turn my lunch into my standard protein shake (542 cals, 38g Carbs, 10g Fat, 76g Protein).  I'm assuming as you are a big proponent of IIFYM, you have NOT seen any downfalls to getting protein through shakes versus meats, but I was just curious. 

My thinking is that if making a few pieces of chicken breast every week, and doing one less scope of Whey will work better, I'll do it, but whey is cheaper then chicken and easier.

No I haven't noticed any difference. If anything the shakes are better anyway, when it comes to protein quality, whey is the shit. In regular ol milk, whey is a fairly small portion (something like 10%, I forget).

Then again, I don't use shakes very much; I did more in the past. My current 5 lb sack of whey has got to be at least a year old, and there's still plenty in there.

Though I do love me some protein bars.

currently cutting

don't panic!

So, going a bit crazy right now.

Some people came to tour the house today for a 2nd time. The feedback we got from their Realtor gave the distinct impression that we should be expecting an offer soon. They spent forever there talking things out, have been searching forever (>6 mo), and the wife absolutely loves our house. Going to talk to the bank this afternoon.

Last Sunday we had another couple tour the house for a 2nd time. Literally the first people to tour our house the first day it was open for showing. Our agent had been trying to get some feedback from theirs and didn't hear anything until they asked for our disclosure this morning.

Tomorrow will be day 28 since we listed. We had one offer about 2 weeks ago, but it was a lowball offer, we countered at asking price, also setting our negotiating terms; they rejected it and walked away. Lotta whatif hindsight head games with that since we took a real hardline stance; our house had only been on the market for 10 days and we are in a hot neighborhood/area, plus they could easily afford it (protip, if you are making a lowball offer on a 250K house, don't include a preapproval letter from the bank approving you to 325K). After they rejected our counter, things really cooled off withe tours, though things appear to have picked back up.

And if the signs are right, well damn, it looks like we're going to have multiple offers in hand in the next day or so (would guess if they are going to offer it is going to happen tonight/tomorrow, due to banks being closed Fri). Of course our Realtor knows both are very seriously considering, so if we get an offer from one, the other is going to know about it.

But, given the situation overall, once we accept an offer, we have to rapidly shift into buy mode. Which we are prepared for. We've been to a couple open houses, have the areas limited to a few school districts, know all the neighborhoods from driving around, and have printouts of all listings arranged in tiers. We want to move straight from our old house to our new house, which means we'll have to have an offer of ours accepted in a week or so. So all goes well, this weekend could be spent seriously home shopping.

So yeah, I'm a bit giddy and very stressed at the moment.

currently cutting

don't panic!

I can feel the adrenaline - good luck man!!

Thanks.

Tonight's workout is perfect.

Wednesday nights I run (~2.6 miles) and work in the park. At about the half mile mark I stop at the park to do a few muscle-up sets and get in some flag practice. Overall a light workout, but one where adrenaline will really feed it. Plus will have enough time when running to think about things without any distractions.

So, here's to hoping not only that all goes well with the house, but also that the adrenaline gives me a bit more oomph on the muscle-up work.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Squee! Fingers crossed for you!

(also: lololol @ preapproval letter and low ball offer. really guys? REALLY?)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Squee! Fingers crossed for you!

(also: lololol @ preapproval letter and low ball offer. really guys? REALLY?)

Thanks. Nothing yet this AM but lots of day left.

Yeah, I can understand doing what they did on the weekends, but they made their offer in the middle of the day in the middle of the week. Dudes, just ask the bank for a preapproval letter at or close to what you are offering, chances are they'll have one to you in a couple of minutes. I fully understand that banks preapprove you for way more than you can reasonably afford, but you you pretty much cede any "this is all we can afford" negotiating leverage if you let the seller know what you are actually preapproved for and it is WAY more than you offer. If you are offering full price or near, it really doesn't matter since you have no need to claim poverty, but if you are lowballing, showing your full preapproval amount is a poor move.

Depending on the house, if we're going to offer well under list (some houses are just way overpriced but nice), my bank is totally on board with sending a preapproval letter for exactly what we are offering.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Woooot, accepted an offer on the house today. Full price with very nice terms (we get more than a week to find a new house, very flexible!). Very happy to get full price as the money situation for the next house will be in good shape. 20% down, oh yeah.

Tomorrow we start serious house hunting (to this point we've been window shopping, browsing, as of today we can actually make a legit offer).

Good thing my whole diet/fitness routine is so locked in nowadays. I've been just going through the motions as of late, being so distracted, but seeing as though not doing my usual routine would be so foreign, its no big deal to stick to it.

• Like 1

currently cutting

don't panic!