Forums are back in action! ×

Yo! New member looking for some tips please

Good day!

My name is Daisy :)

I'm a musician, vocalist and theatrical performer who loves cooking, science, movies, music (obvs!), dressing up, dancing and being a little bit silly sometimes.

I was doing weight watchers for a while, lost 2 stone and learnt a hell of a lot about what I am capable of. However, the plan didn't work for me in the end and I found this site by searching for paleo advice after a friend got me interested.

That was about 2 months ago, and since then I've been doing the 'faileo' diet, mostly just loving eating healthy fats a bit too much after being on a dirty empty calorie, low fat, aspartame encouraged regime (that's weight watchers, baby!).

Then I totally flipped and went mad on the carbs for about two weeks. My yearning got the better of me, fo sho.

But, I'm back in the game and am mustering up a new plan.

THE PLAN:

My plan involves using the 'MyFitnessPal' app to keep track of calorie and nutrition intake, and especially to monitor and ensure that I don't consume too many calories.

I just photoshopped my head onto a load of bodies that I'd like to aim for, mostly curvy size 12's, as I'm a size 20 at present and, having been obese since childhood, sometimes can't seem to see the wood for the trees when it comes to what I'm actually aiming for?! This was a) hilariously funny (I added 'inspirational words') and B) truly inspiring. Having some visual aid means that I'm finally able to work towards a positive goal, rather than work against a negative fear!

Regarding exercise, whilst doing WW, I joined my local leisure centre and enjoyed some classes and using the gym. However, in June I got brassic and had to cancel. Plus, my motivation had taken a nose dive. In general, I cycle most days to pick up groceries or get to uni and I am known ;) to have a dance to DJ's or live music at the weekends. I am going to join the leisure centre again with a bit of financial help from my partner (he's a sweetie) as he knows how much I want to get back on it.

To be honest, exercise hasn't been very easy for me to get into. I shunned away from sports during childhood and in my teens, due to my size and a bit of standard bullying. I've always cycled around London, but I don't feel a drive to use my bike in a sporting way, as the traffics system here isn't too safe if you're going fast (my partner really goes for it and has just had his 4th major accident!). I'm quite happy to use it as a seat with wheels , although I do live up a major hill which means I get in a little bit of burn.

HOWEVER I know that I would love to feel more freedom in my body. I have friends that trick and free run, do acroyoga and trapeze, and when I watch them it gets me so happy. I feel it's too late to lose all the weight that I'd need to, and train to do these sports, but, these days, when I see them being so free and in love with movement, it inspires me.

Out of the activity classes I've tried, I enjoy circuits and boxercise the most. I like the full on environment, the loud music so I can yell or make noise if I need to. I really appreciate an encouraging, firm but friendly, class leader. I am hugely motivated when I feel supported and encouraged (ie. one day, a replacement circuits leader had to fill in, and brought with him a 'boot camp' attitude, where he told us to 'get down and do 10!' and shouted kind of negative stuff. That shit is whack. I left).

I like the idea of kettlebells and weight training but where does one start? With Kettlebells they have an all female class at the centre that I'm going to give a go. I saw them at it once, and boy, those ladies were so fit! Some part of me feels that old fear that I won't be accepted, but do you know what, over the past year or two I've really felt the love that individuals have for their bodies and I know that if I show that love for myself it will be returned and celebrated by others. I reckon there are a lot of fit, healthy people that love to pass on their experiences/advice (like you guys)... It's cute :)

Weight training ...

From what I read on this site, natural weight training is better than some other kind (um. I know nothing). I think I'm attracted to it because I have always felt like I am a physically strong person anyway. But then, the idea of pulling myself up on a bar makes me laugh, in a sad kind of way, because I have a 16stone 4lb body which I feel I can't lift. So I guess I'm not that strong after all.

My body is curvy. I love my bum. In getting more fit and losing weight, it's really important to me that I sculpt the body that I want. I can't actually visualise myself in a very slim body and I'd live to work towards weight loss on my stomach and general toning all over, with some focus on butt sculpting to make sure it doesn't just waste away (my worst nightmare!).

With paleo, I'm not sure how much I can keep up with it tbh. Loads of meat is expensive anyway and I can't find grass fed except one butcher that costs a small fortune. Plus, when I did kick the carbs and go as paleo as I could about 2 months ago, I just ate loads of fats. I would really like to get a really nitty gritty guide breakdown of daily nutrition intake levels/percentages that I should be aiming for, with protein, carbs, fats etc. a Furthermore, if anyone has a food plan or diary that they might fancy sharing, that would be superb. I'm really interested in what is best to eat at which time of day, the correct spread of calories through the day to help metabolism (I think mine might be quite sluggish) and different food/nutrient combinations (I keep reading about the omega 3/6 balance... What is this?).

So, thanks got tuning in. I got all beefy with my topic, so apologies if it's been a long read. That where I'm at and any advice or tips on diet, nutrition or exercise will be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks and all the best

Daisy x

Hi Daisy!

Well, I am by no means an expert, but as far as the paleo diet is concerned, it's not just about eating meat. Basically, eating paleo means that you eat anything that a caveman could have found before the agricultural age. That means meat, eggs, fish, veggies (lots!) fruit (in moderation, they contain a lot of sugar). Most people go with 2 parts plant matter and 1 part meat.

As for the work outs, find something you like and stick with that. It's really hard to make yourself do something you don't like.

I suggest you head over to the diet section of the forum. There a lot of lovely, well-informed people there who can help you out.

Oh, and it's never too late! Don't give up! Remember the Little Engine that Could: I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

Stay sharp!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Diet: If you are trying to lose weight, you'll have to consume fewer calories than you burn. That's it - it's that simple (note I did not say easy). So I would start with that. Regarding the macronutrient ratios, I would at first aim for at least 100g protein per day. Most people don't get anywhere near that, so it's a good place to start. (If you don't know how many calories you need, do a little research on BMR and TDEE and those can give you some estimates - you might have to tweak from there.)

Regarding exercise - like SilverRapier said, find something you like and stick with it. Move more. If you're interested in strength training (which I would definitely recommend - it will help you look MOAR AWESOME as you lose the weight), look up barbell training. A couple of good beginning programs are Starting Strength and Stronglifts. SS is a book that costs some money, and SL is free (but I think you have to put up with some marketing BS). 

Of course I am biased on the exercise since I am a Warrior ;)

At any rate...that's the basics. It should get you started.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8