Forums are back in action! ×

Blown away by this site! So impressed. Also introductions

Ok so I've already posted up my challenge, so I figured I better do some introductions.

Wanted to start by saying I'm blown away by this site.  The fact that strangers on the internet are actually actively wanting people to complete the goals they set themselves in itself is pretty amazing (I think this site shows the true potential of the internet!).  But the nerd motivation?  Pure genious!
I have decided that as far as this site is concerned I'm training to join the Brotherhood from the Assassins Creed games!  It was a toss up between that and the N7 program from Mass Effect, but my love for parkour won out! :D

Ok, I'm 22 and I'm here to train my body.  I'm a very small person; 5ft tall, 46kg, size 6 (US size 4), and I have a wicked fast metabolism.  I feel very lucky that I have never had to worry about gaining weight so I feel I owe it to my genetics to be the absolute best I can be!  Also I should get into it while I'm young too!
One of the things I was drawn to, after I learned about it's existence, was parkour.  I'm tiny so therefore light and agile, perfect.  But I never knew how to start or where.  I didn't/don't feel comfortable with going out and practising it in public, 1. because it's pretty showy and 2. because I'm practising, I don't want random members of the public staring at me when I inevitably make a mistake! :tongue:
But anyway a couple years ago I found I group in my home city of London that meet up in a gym to train.  Unfortunately I found this group like 2 months before moving away to university so I didn't get much training in.  Only now, 2 years later, have I found a similar club in the city of Derby!  Ecstatic!  I can train again! So part of my challenge is to join up with the group and start my weekly training again.  Can't wait!

My other big thing is working out my diet.  I'm trying out the paleo diet; easing into it by working on only 2 days a week of paleo, then 3 days, then 4 etc.  However, as a student I have a pretty small budget so I've had to get frozen meat & veg.  Not ideal but better than nothing.  I also doubt I'll be able to go full paleo what with my budget, but I'll see what I can do.

The other sports that I do are yoga, TaeKwon-do, kayaking and scuba diving.  I'm studying zoology at university and want to go into marine biological research.  I also practise bushcraft.  The art of living off the land in relative comfort.  My eventual aim is to bring all of this together as a researcher and possibly make documentaries branching out in the "science communication" aspect of things.  I feel that all the sports, especially parkour will enable me to be ready for anything; that and I love the freedom and mental stability of it.

Sorry for the massive long post, but I have a lot of reasons for joining this site and I really wanted to get them all down somewhere ^^

Level 2 Elf - Assassin

| STR 2 | DEX 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2 | STA 3 | CON 3 |

2nd Challenge                               Battle Log

Welcome from way across the pond,

This site impressed me as well. Crossing cultural and geographic boundaries with weirdness, quirks, and eccentricities. I hunt a bunch and fish and living off the land is fun. living out of my camper is funner lol. Nothing beats a microwave and TV in the wilderness. You sound active, if you ever want to sell off that metabolism, I want dibs. Enjoy your time here, and good luck.

You are only a conspiracy theorist until you are right. Then you are a visionary.

Ah! You'd be an awesome rogue. :)

Oh, sorry, I mean hello and welcome to the nerdery!

Never fear, many many of us here are on a university budget as well, and we have several tricks up our sleeves for affordable paleo eating ;) There is a whole forum section dedicated to paleo eating, with many useful tips.

Now that, is a documentary I would watch. Get that going :)

Good luck to you in your endeavor!

And, peace be upon you.