Forums are back in action! ×

Hello Rebels and Superheroes! November of this year marks my Saturn return, which in astrology is when Saturn has made a full orbit around the sun and returned to the point in the sky it was at when you were born (usually when you turn 28-29). This is a great time to let go of old patterns and ways of being that don't serve us anymore--and basically get your ass into gear. So here I am, doing my best to make that happen!

I'm a mental health therapist that works at a couple elementary schools, and I too often have let myself believe the story that I'm too stressed and/or too exhausted to take good care of myself. But the older I get, the more I realize how true it is that you have to take good care of yourself before you can really take truly good care of another person. I just started doing wellness coaching, started a MWF 6:30-7:30am boot camp that incorportes mindfulness and spirituality (tomorrow is week 2 of 6)..... AND!... I just started the 6-week Nerd Fitness Challenge! I'm super pumped about finally making some life changes that stick. I have years of yo-yoing, getting super hardcore about a plan, burning out fiercely and then sputtering out into discouragement and lack of motivation. I'm going for consistency more than anything else this time around. Slow and steady wins the race...

Which is where community comes in, in where I really need my fellow nerds' support. In the past, I've always been the type of person to deny my own needs and never ask for help, but this is HARD to do without other people supporting your goals--people with similar visions who can encourage you and maybe jab you in the ribs when you get lazy. I'm really hoping to make some awesome allies on this website, so please check out my challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39706-ashcension’s-rise-to-awesomeness/ and I will be sure to do the same.

More about me:

Things I love: Astrology, cats, chocolate, philosophy, yoga, zumba, beer and wine (sigh), reading fantasy novels (Sword of Truth series is my favorite), mythology, writing, studying psychology, learning about different cultures, languages (I speak Spanish and want to learn German next... next life quest!), personality typing systems (Myer-Briggs, Enneagram), old-school video games (especially RPG and adventure games), table-top RPGs, magic, faeries, dressing up and costumery, Renaissance faires, music, festivals (Burning Man!), frolicking, snuggling, and sleeping.

What I want support with:

Consistency, Paleo (tips, tricks, and recipes), self-love and self-care, and ideas for working out smarter (instead of harder).

Good luck to everyone beginning their challenge tomorrow!!!

post-23690-0-88719300-1384144453_thumb.j

Level 2 Half-Elf Druid

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Current Challege

"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed."

"If the road is easy, you're likely going the wrong way."

(from Terry Goodkind, the Sword of Truth series)

A type personality here wishing you well. Welcome fellow rebel. I work with the most hardened gang members and criminals out there,and they are cream puffs compared to the average grade school kid. You must be tough. Sleeping is one of my hobbies too. Welcome, you will find much support here.

You are only a conspiracy theorist until you are right. Then you are a visionary.

Hola y bienvenido!

This site is a good start for paleo recipes, I've found many a deliciousness from it :) But there are many many to be found in the depths of the forums; in fact, I believe there is an entire forum subsection devoted to it.

You definitely have a druidic air, 'tis quite lovely.

Everyone here will give all the support you could possibly want, and we'll be here with advice for you, suggestions, and good vibes to send your way :)

It's not dangerous to go alone, per se, but take us with you :)

(That was a poorly rehashed LoZ reference. Ahem.)

Slow and steady, that is the way to go.

Stay grounded and draw energy from the earth. (An instruction I have used to improve punching power.)

(I do however find that self-loathing is my main strategy, so I probably would be of little help in that aspect. Haha)

28-29 is when great spiritual awakenings happen too. Buddha became enlightened and Jesus went into the desert and came out to the Holy Spirit baptism initiation at 29. Saturn return, huh?

Taijibum, that is super interesting!!! I'm really interested in Buddhism and Christian Mysticism, and I did not know that! Yes, Saturn return!

A type personality here wishing you well. Welcome fellow rebel. I work with the most hardened gang members and criminals out there,and they are cream puffs compared to the average grade school kid. You must be tough. Sleeping is one of my hobbies too. Welcome, you will find much support here.

Thanks so much hawgsquatch! I appreciate the support! You comparing gang members and criminals to cream puffs when placed beside grade school kids made me lol--a couple of the little ones I've met may indeed make them look like cream puffs, that's for sure ;) Hehe

Level 2 Half-Elf Druid

Current Challege

Hola y bienvenido!

This site is a good start for paleo recipes, I've found many a deliciousness from it :) But there are many many to be found in the depths of the forums; in fact, I believe there is an entire forum subsection devoted to it.

You definitely have a druidic air, 'tis quite lovely.

Everyone here will give all the support you could possibly want, and we'll be here with advice for you, suggestions, and good vibes to send your way :)

It's not dangerous to go alone, per se, but take us with you :)

(That was a poorly rehashed LoZ reference. Ahem.)

Gracias y mucho gusto, SillyAnneh :) Love the LoZ reference!

LoZ Cat

Thank you for the link, I appreciate it!

Slow and steady, that is the way to go.

Stay grounded and draw energy from the earth. (An instruction I have used to improve punching power.)

(I do however find that self-loathing is my main strategy, so I probably would be of little help in that aspect. Haha)

Machete, I love the advice to draw energy from the earth, a good reminder on my path to becoming a druid :) Aww, self-loathing! It does bring a certain kind of gratification as a driving force, but it could be refreshing to try out the self-love! It's relatively new to me, too :)

Level 2 Half-Elf Druid

Current Challege

Hiya,

Best of luck with everything.  I used to be really into various spiritual practises too, still quite like them just don't pracrise them.  So it was super nice to read your post ^^

Thank you Evelfa! Good to meet you and thanks for the encouragement :)

Level 2 Half-Elf Druid

Current Challege

Hola Ashcension! Bienvenido! (I speak very little Spanish, but I also want to learn it.)

Ooh, a mythology fan! What kind? Greek? Roman? Celtic? Egyptian? Babylonian?

Did you ever study the influence various languages had on each other and how languages have evolved so far? (linguistics nerd here).

Anyway, good luck with you goals! Keep us posted on your progress!

Stay sharp!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Hola Ashcension! Bienvenido! (I speak very little Spanish, but I also want to learn it.)

Ooh, a mythology fan! What kind? Greek? Roman? Celtic? Egyptian? Babylonian?

Did you ever study the influence various languages had on each other and how languages have evolved so far? (linguistics nerd here).

Anyway, good luck with you goals! Keep us posted on your progress!

Stay sharp!

Hola SilverRapier, y gracias! I think my favorite mythology is Greek mythology, but I'm also I fan of Celtic mythology and the Arthurian myths :) I did take a couple of linguistics classes in college, and it's suuuper interesting! I've learned a bit about how languages evolved but always love to learn more, please hit me up if you want to nerd out about language, I'm so there with you  :tickled_pink:

Level 2 Half-Elf Druid

Current Challege