Forums are back in action! ×

Stepping off of the Sidelines

I’ve struggled my entire life with being fat. Not just a little pudgy or “over weight†but fat. Some of my earliest memories are of my older brother asking my parents why I looked normal everywhere else except for my belly. I also remember wearing t-shirts to water parks thinking that wet layer of cotton clinging to my body somehow made the reality of my bulging torso invisible. Those were good times. Looking back, 4th grade was the hardest for me. I wore a size 30 jeans that year, and the harsh reality is they don’t make size 30 jeans for 4th grade boys. So not only was the fat kid wearing pants roughly two sizes smaller that my teacher, but I had denim leg-warmers to boot. Yeah, good times in deed.

Throughout my adult life, I’ve been battling the bulge one way or another with varying levels of success. But no matter what I do, it always seems to make it’s way back like that relative you don’t want around, but you just can’t say no to. Up until now, I’ve just accepted it as how my life is. I have always wanted to look at myself in the mirror and be proud of what I saw, but I’ve never really expected it. But its definitely something I want passionately.

The catch is, as a father and a husband, I cannot allow myself to be completely consumed with training and dieting. I can’t put life on pause and go to live on the ranch for a few months like they do on the reality shows. I have a life to live, a family to provide for and responsibilities at work that cannot be over-looked. At the same time, I have to make this a priority, because I’m not getting any younger.

There comes a point where you have to make a decision though. Are you going to throw in the towel once and for all? Are you going to settle for the status quo, or are you going to grit your teeth, dig in, and for the first time in your life believe that its possible?

Consistency and discipline are two attributes that I've never been good at. But to be completely honest, the more time I spend on this site and read the comments from the community here, the more I'm starting to believe that my dream could actually become a reality for the first time ever.

Your post made me smile, because I was having the same thought processes all afternoon... and I finally decided to get off my butt and get something started... that's all you really need:  a first step... You've already got cheerleaders lined up to holler when you cross the goal line and give the world your touchdown dance... I believe you can do it! 

Female Wood Elf Adventurer - Level 0
STR0  |  DEX0  |  STA0  |  CON0  |  WIS0  |  CHA0

My First Challenge EVAH!

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.†-  Oscar Wilde

Joining the Rebellion is a great first step. the people here, as you may have noticed, are really supportive. Don't be afraid to ask questions especially about balancing family, work, and fitness. My advice is to start a battle log and document your current status and keep track of your progress, it really does help with understanding what does and doesn't work for you. 

Space_Elf, Fallohide Hobbit Level 0. STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log | 

Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Right on man!  As someone who is a newbie on this site as well, it is unbelievable the amount of support you get!  I personally have been on Paleo and the beginner body circuit/intervals for a week, and I haven't felt this much energy...well...ever!  I'm eating better, feeling better, and I am already at a point where I can not wait to do my next workout!

Everyone here is with you, you have taken the hardest step and faced it.  Now, with an army of Nerd Fitness behind you, get it done!

I haven't made a goal, I have made a lifestyle change.

I am not where I want to be, but I am closer than I was yesterday.

It was hard to make changes at first, I will never go back.

The only person that was standing in my way was me.

Now that I have gotten out of my way, nothing can stop me!

Level 4: Burger-Flipping Ass Kicking Ogre Ranger:  STR:7 DEX:8 STA:11 CON:2 WIS:5 CHA:12

Challenges -(1),(2),(3), Current