Forums are back in action! ×

Level 1 Adventuring Scholar

Hi everyone,

I'm Asa. I just turned 30 last month and have come to terms with the fact that I'm incredibly large and maybe not as in charge as I once thought I was. I've been obese all of my adult life essentially. My long-term relationship ended a year ago, and I've pretty much self-medicated with food and inactivity since. (And before... and... I guess always) - I have a disordered relationship with tasty things.

I'm working towards my PhD, and I've been selected to accompany my advisor to do fieldwork in Africa next summer. That's incredibly exciting, but I know I'm not in shape for 12 hour days, 7 days a week, for something like 6 weeks. In order not to be a big whiny jerk about it while I'm there, I need to put in some effort in the gym with both weights and cardio. When I moved to the city, I chose a place that was walking distance from my University. Then I sold my car. I've walked every workday since. It's not much, but it's more than I used to do.

I want able to manage my fieldwork without excessive whining as my 6 month goal.
Beyond that, I would like to get to looking like an average guy - Which according to the CDC is around 195lbs with a 37.5 inch waist.
After that, well, I can re-evaluate.

Main plan of attack:
- Paleo Diet
- Weights (squats, overhead presses, pushups, deadlifts, and pull ups) - Every exercise at least 1x a week
- Cardio - 30 minutes on bike 5 days a week

- Walking - 30 minutes 5 days a week (my commute either to work or from work, I take the train to my gym)

- Mobility work daily
- Daily update thread in Battle Logs forum

Thanks for reading.

Walking is a great practice.  It's benefits are manifold, both physcially and mentally.  You've also selected some big-bang-for-your-buck movements to base your strength work around.  Looking forward to seeing you progress towards your goals!

• Like 1

illcDimension hopping Ranger-Cartographer, level 2STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 5 CON: 6 WIS: 5 CHA: 2

Training Log

Of Goats and Rucks Challenge (June -July 2013)

~Take care. Be bold.~

Walking is a great practice.  It's benefits are manifold, both physcially and mentally.  You've also selected some big-bang-for-your-buck movements to base your strength work around.  Looking forward to seeing you progress towards your goals!

Indeed. I've been doing the walking to work thing for all of summer and fall. It's a great way to get my mind set for the day ahead and then leave it behind in favor of home at the end of the day.

Hello fellow PhD candidate! While it sounds like we are not in the same fields I get the not wanting to be the out of shape person who holds people back on academic/research oriented activities.  Grad school is so stressful! I was in wicked good shape before and now I'm in terrible shape working on getting back on track. So far, managing stress and time have been something I'm working on.  I'm impressed that you've taken it upon yourself to walk and it sounds like you have a good motivation. Best wishes!