Forums are back in action! ×

Time to stop the Yo-Yo

Hey all, been lurking around here for a few days and decided I'd like to join the ranks. I've tried other fitness forums in the past but never really found much help hoping this community will be what I need.

Long story short I'm 28 and overweight 5'10" ~ 295lbs, but I "carry it well" according to most. :rolleyes-new:

Thing is I've always been a big guy and have accepted that over the years. My wife's son once said I was "cool fat.. like a biker, not gross fat" but I'm growing tired of big and fat being attached to my names. 10+ years ago (high-school) I was in pretty good shape thanks to football and power lifting (1300 lb club) . But once that structure was gone I just kept eating however I wanted (and not working out) and my weight shot up pretty darn quick. Quick to the point where I have strech marks on my sides and stomach. I'm not sure what my heaviest ever was since years went by when I didn't own a scale. It's been a long 10 years of ups and downs married, divorced, moved 9 times in 6 years and remarried lay offs and all the other crap life throws our way. My weight has bounced all over the place too due to various diets or jobs and as of last year my job is 99% desk time.  Needless to say it's taken quite a toll on my body and mind. Last winter/spring I did manage to go from 315 to 275 and down from a 42 to 40's but they're getting snug again. I probably haven't worked out for more than 4-6 months straight since HS. Seems every time I get in a rhythm something happens, I get sick or hurt take a week or two off and never start again.

My biggest hurdle to get past is motivation. Years ago I always had a team or coach to help hold me accountable or push me harder. When I get home from work get my 2 year old situated and start dinner the last thing I want to do is work out. My wife and I are very quick to be lazy and just hang out together. But I know I need to push past this. I want to get my wife involved on the site as well since she's also struggling with weight loss and shares many of the same motivation problems I do.

I've been reading "The Paleo Manifesto" recently and we've slowly started to work our way into a Paleo style of eating. Starting with no bread, legumes, refined sugar or drinking milk, haven't given up yogurt or cheese yet. We've replaced all our cooking oils with coconut and olive oil we've always used real butter so that wasn't a change. I want to work on getting as close to 100% paleo as I can stand on a day to day basis but still have a treat/cheat now and then. Money is fairly tight for the next 18 months so I can't afford to throw out food we already have but as it gets used up we'll be going more Paleo. That being said we can't afford any type of gym membership so working out at home is our only option.

One of my goals is to complete the Warrior Dash in July or Sept. Maybe the Tough Mudder in Sept if I can be ready. I hate running, always have so a regular 5k etc does not excite me at all.

I have so many more things I want to accomplish, but since this was supposed to be just and introduction and I've typed an essay I'll end things here.

So here goes nothing :nevreness:

Level: 2 Half Orc Class: Adventurer  STR: 3 DEX: 3 STA: 3 CON: 3 WIS: 2 CHA: 1

My Daily Battle

"Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda

You will never be free until you free yourself from the prison of your own false thoughts.

Welcome Zarklin!

Hey, taking it slow is fine! I hope your life stabilizes over the next few months. I know how much it sucks to have an uncertain source of income. But take heart! The rebellion will always be there for you!

Keep us posted on your progress!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Thank you for the warm welcome. Looking forward to making some positive changes. 10lbs a month is my goal for now. I need to find a different way to "reward" myself. Typically when I reach a goal in life I celebrate with food. Blame the Italian in me, we eat when we're happy, sad, holidays, well pretty much any reason is a good reason for a feast when I was growing up..... I know better heath will be reward enough but sometimes you need a little more. Anyone else do that?

• Like 1

My Daily Battle

You will never be free until you free yourself from the prison of your own false thoughts.

Thank you for the warm welcome. Looking forward to making some positive changes. 10lbs a month is my goal for now. I need to find a different way to "reward" myself. Typically when I reach a goal in life I celebrate with food. Blame the Italian in me, we eat when we're happy, sad, holidays, well pretty much any reason is a good reason for a feast when I was growing up..... I know better heath will be reward enough but sometimes you need a little more. Anyone else do that?

I didn't know I was Italian! Woohoo!

Welcome to the Rebellion, Zarklin. You're going to kick some ass here. You already have the muscle knowledge from High School, you just need to tweak your approach a little. Nutrition is going to be a BIG deal, because that's not only how you're going to fuel your crusade, that's how you're going to keep from getting sick or hurt. That machine you're driving around needs some quality fuel, and cutting out the bread and processed foods is a good first step! Get lots of veggies, nuts, and fruit. "Real" foods are going to burn cleaner, and better, and keep your energy levels higher.

Oh, and check this out, if you haven't already:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Happy to have you here, man! Now go kick some ass!

Race: Half Elf/Human. Class: Wildling Ranger. Level: 3 STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 5 WIS: 3 CHA: 0 

First Campaign Second Campaign

Daily Campaign Battle Log

MY FITNESS PAL LOG

What citizenkade said. That link is amazing, you don't need a gym to start getting fit :)

You have your foot in the door, and it sounds like you have a reliable partner in crime! (Or fitness, in this case.)

Your goal is very attainable, and never be afraid to ask in the forums if you need clarifications or tips

Good luck!

Thanks guys, I really want to stick things out for the long haul this time. Looking forward to getting involved in the community here too, seems like a great group of folks so far. Few adventures can be completed only relying on yourself. And besides everyone can use an email reminding you to get off your arse do some pushups now and then  :playful:   Hope to find my workout niche soon, I need to make it fun again.

My Daily Battle