Forums are back in action! ×

returning from a long and arduous journey

hey guys, I'm back after a little over a year(?!) away from the rebellion.  It's been a really rough year and a half and my Christmas gift to myself is making some changes in my life.  I guess the best way to summarize it is this: I found myself pursuing a course in school that I wasn't interested in (but everybody else thought I should go into) and had reached the point in school where being smart alone wasn't enough to get good grades, so I did abysmally in classes and barely scraped through the year and had issues with depression, etc.  I've been slowly getting my academic life together, but so much of school is mental and improving my mental well-being means also improving my physical well-being.  So that's part of what brings me back.  The other part of what's bringing me back is that my mother recently had a health scare and turns out to have a genetic heart condition which I'm at risk for (going to the doctor tomorrow to get it checked out).

Since I think I've more or less done the equivalent of dying without any recent save points, let me reintroduce myself: 

I'm currently in college studying to be an electrical engineer.  In my free time I've been working on building an electric racecar, which has been super fun as well as super hard.  In my free time I enjoy video games--recently Mass Effect, Bioshock Infinite, and Civ 5 have been my favorites--along with any TV show Aaron Sorkin has written, and sci-fi books like the Honor Harrington series.  

I've currently been attempting to eat keto, which I've had a much easier time sticking to than any other diet I tried, though my brother eats paleo so I tend to switch to that when I'm home (aka right now).  The main thing I've discovered over the last year is that when I cut down on carbs, everything gets better.  I feel better, I pay better attention in class, etc.

Fitness-wise, I've mostly been doing body weight fitness off and on but want to get back into a regular schedule with some more concrete goals than "stop being weak".  I also want to get back into running, since my stamina has really tanked since I stopped running regularly.  I've also found that running is by far the best way to clear my head, which is exactly what I need.

Looking forward to participating in the next challenge and in the mean time I'm looking forward to getting to know everybody!

• Like 1

"It is not childish to live with uncertainty, to devote oneself to a craft rather than a career, to an idea rather than an institution." -Mamet

Ah, the struggles of wondering whether you'll actually enjoy what you are studying in school! I know how you feel! I wish you luck in that and think you're on the right track working on your physical wellness to enhance your mental wellness. Welcome back to the rebellion!

Race: Half Orc/Elf. Class: Assassin. Level: 3 STR: 7 DEX: 9 STA: 4 CON: 5 WIS: 5 CHA: 2

Current Challenge: Tommy Khaos VS Gravity!