Forums are back in action! ×

New guy in need of weight loss

Hey everyone.  I'm new on here and need to loose weight.  I'm hoping to loose to about 170 or less by the time I'm 50 (2 and half years). Right now I'm 215.  The hard part for me is I have emphysema, so exercise is difficult.  I still have fairly decent lung function (about 72%), but still can't do a lot at 1 time.  Part of what attracted e to the rebellion was the exercises being less difficult for me.  Happy New Year to all and here's to us all meeting our 2014 goals!

• Like 1

Cutting weight is entirely a function of diet. Get a notebook and track your calories. If just cutting wieght is the priority then all you need is a scale. Step on it the sae day and time every week. If the weight goes up or remains the same, cut calories. If it goes down then stay where you are. It's pretty straightforward stuff. If you can tolerate some suffering then you can cut your 40 pounds in a few months. I started at 202 and cut to 182 in two months.

As for exercise, don't fall into the "easy" trap. I'm assuming by 72% you are referring to FEV1 on your PFT (the measurement that matters most in COPD). That's really not bad at all. I would steer away from aerobic type exercise and pick up heavy shit. You can pace yourself more, and getting more efficient energy systems through weight training will carry over for much longer down the road than aerobic conditioning.

You did quit smoking, right?

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Hey man I hear ya on the breathing issues... I have severe interstitial lung disease... it's hard.. but you can still lose weight and get fit... it's all about baby steps and learning where your limitations are... when I first started I couldn't ride my bike an entire mile... I thought I was dying... I worked my way up slowly and painfully and now I can ride long distances (I'm talking we take trips and do 160 miles in three or four days).... when I first started I couldn't walk a mile without stopping (and feeling like I was dying) now I can run a 5k I climb mountains and I'm training to hike the two thousand mile Appalachian trail...

weight loss comes as part of decreasing your calories yes.... but it's also about increasing muscle... a lot of lungers do well with a low carb higher fat and protein diet... I've switched to paleo and I'm doing insanely well... I notice a difference in lung function when I don't get enough protein for a few days... and I've lost a hundred pounds so far so I'd say something is working for me :)

I'm not trying to brag on myself but to show you it's possible... it's all about baby steps... learning that line... the more than this kills me but less than this makes me grow line... it's about listening to your body... pushing when you can resting when you need to...

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

You did quit smoking, right?

Please don't assume... I haven't checked his other threads to see if he's talked about smoking....

Emphysema doesn't always come from smoking... my lung disease is considered emphysematic and I was diagnosed at 13 and I've never smoked a day in my life

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

If you have interstitial lung disease then your diagnosis was wrong if it was called "emhysematic" which to the best of my knowledge isn't a descriptor used in any modern literature. The two pathologies could not be farther from each other and I apologize for your misinformation. To the best of my knowledge no restrictive pathologies have ever been tied to cigarette smoking. That said, what you have accomplished with a restrictive lung disease is quite astounding an I applaud you for the effort.

As to quitting smoking, I've had exactly two patients with COPD that did not have a smoking history and one of them had A1A deficiency. If I somehow offended the OP by the insinuation I apologize. It's typically the first place to start and the one that will yield the biggest benefit soonest.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

A1a deficiency (what I have) is an emphysematic disease... I also have components of scaring which makes it also interstitial...

Sorry to hijack the thread... it just frustrates me when people assume that emphysema automatically means the person smoked... because I know many many people with emphysema who haven't ever smoked

Spoiler

Indeed, apologies for the hijack.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Yes, I am an alpha.  My mother's entire family died of emphysema.  My mom died of it and never smoked.  My bother died at 54, but he smoked.  I quit smoking many years ago, then found I had alpha 1.  Most of my doctors agree that if I hadn't smoked, I would likely have been undiagnosed until much later in life.  Thanks for the cheerleading.  I'm happy to know that someone out there does understand what it's like trying to lose weight when you are limited on what exercise you can do. 

I didn't mean to imply that the exercises on here were easy; just that they are easier for me since the cardio isn't as heavy.  I walk as much as I can, but usually it amounts to no more than 30 minutes at a time; although, I try to walk between 3.5 and 4 mph. 

At any rate, thanks to you all for the encouragement. 

oh yeah... it's taken me a long time to actually ENJOY cardio... and now I mountain climb and run and bike ride... 

one of the most important things for me was realizing that I hold my breath and so learning to use a pattern like this one (square breathing) or using the tips on this site... both were important in helping me to increase my capacity :)

and I don't think I said it already... WELCOME to the rebellion!!

Spoiler

Go get 'em, Kwe! Good luck!

WarfighterKev, Level 0 Human. Warrior Monk
STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | INT 0 |CHA 0

Introduction Post I Battlelog I Current Challenge

"It is spiritless to think that you cannot attain that which you have seen and heard the masters attain. The masters are men. You are a man. If you think that you will be inferior in doing something, you will be on that road very soon."

Yamamoto Tsunetomo