Forums are back in action! ×

Time for a hard reset.

Starting statistics:
Age - 20
Height - 6'0"
Weight - 245 lb

Quest:
To weigh around 154 lb
To drastically improve my endurance running (Minimum of a half marathon.)
To be able to do parkour (increased upper body strength.)

Hey all,

I'm Kane, a 20 year old Electronic and Electrical engineering student from the U.K who has had enough of being overweight.

I’ve always been overweight, I was always the chubby kid who ignored the extra weight as irrelevant and pretended that he could eat whatever he liked because he was “a growing boy.†I should have seen the signs of impending doom when I was in secondary school, I was pretty slim then (especially by today’s standards) weighing in at ~126lb in year 8. Over the course of the 6 years since then I put on almost double that to become ~245lb most of which came within the first 2 years. 

Now I’m coming up to the mid point in my first year at University and I’ve finally had enough. I am sick and tired of being overweight (actually, according the the NHS I’m obese, which is even worse) and I’ve decided to do something about it.

Let's do this.

• Like 1

Honestly for a 6 foot tall male 154 is a little light. It depends entirely on your goals of course but if strength training is any part of your plan you will end up weighing more than that.

I know I'll probably weigh more than that because of the strength training, but I would rather set a low goal weight at the moment because I know that if I set the goal weight to be higher I'll probably just give up with strength training when I reach that weight, so I'll be the target weight for muscle but it'll still just be fat and I'll be in pretty much the same place as I am now. All goals are subject to change throughout the course of the program anyway.

• Like 1

That's why I generally don't set physique goals. I just decide I want to gain weight and stop whenever I feel like it. If I want to make my triceps bigger, same thing. I'm pretty anti goal setting in general actually which is not a common philosophy around here but it works for me.

• Like 1

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Good to meet you, Kane! And welcome to the Rebellion!

I'm going to add to Simon's advice about weight. It's a number, and that is something you are not. It really seems like a good goal, but I'll tell you something funny; weight is screwy. If you're working out and eating right, you're going to burn off fat. You might hit 200 pounds and find yourself in the best shape of your life!

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm tall, and I am carrying more insulation than I want. I've been focused on weight my whole life. This time around, though, I'm trying to make it just a number. It's not me. I'm using goals based off of the clothing size I want to fit into, and if I weight the same exact thing as I did when I started, but fit in those clothes? It's a win!

Regardless, you came to the right place. The Rebellion is all about getting people fired up about those habits that are keeping us down. Fight on!

Race: Half Elf/Human. Class: Wildling Ranger. Level: 3 STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 5 WIS: 3 CHA: 0 

First Campaign Second Campaign

Daily Campaign Battle Log

MY FITNESS PAL LOG

That's why I generally don't set physique goals. I just decide I want to gain weight and stop whenever I feel like it. If I want to make my triceps bigger, same thing. I'm pretty anti goal setting in general actually which is not a common philosophy around here but it works for me.

Good to meet you, Kane! And welcome to the Rebellion!

I'm going to add to Simon's advice about weight. It's a number, and that is something you are not. It really seems like a good goal, but I'll tell you something funny; weight is screwy. If you're working out and eating right, you're going to burn off fat. You might hit 200 pounds and find yourself in the best shape of your life!

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm tall, and I am carrying more insulation than I want. I've been focused on weight my whole life. This time around, though, I'm trying to make it just a number. It's not me. I'm using goals based off of the clothing size I want to fit into, and if I weight the same exact thing as I did when I started, but fit in those clothes? It's a win!

Regardless, you came to the right place. The Rebellion is all about getting people fired up about those habits that are keeping us down. Fight on!

Yeah I get what you're both saying, but at the moment while I'm still getting into the habit of training and eating right it's nice to have a numeric goal to work towards rather than an arbitrary "get healthier" thing. I'm sure over the next few months the actual goal weight will fall by the wayside.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong I think a weight goal can point you in the right direction but the trap people fall in is thinking a certain number will get them a desired look and that's just not how it works. All we're saying is to be careful of falling into that train of thought.

• Like 1

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.