Forums are back in action! ×

Biggest Loser

Forgetting about the aesthetics entirely you do realize there are adverse health effects from being too skinny right?

^This was my reaction to that comment as well. Just as many adverse health effects to being that much underweight as over.

It might be worth adding that the adverse health effects from being underweight tend to present them selves more immediately than the adverse health effects from being overweight. You don't hear about people that stay underweight for 15+ years without adverse effects, but you do hear about being who stay overweight for 15+ years without adverse effects.

But I wouldn't for an instant presume to suggest that one is better or worse than the other, they both pretty much suck.

I completely agree with these comments above; I don't think there's as much of a problem of being 'too skinny' as there is skinny enough to pose some serious health risks. These problems can compound very quickly when they're being caused by being underweight as opposed to overweight, and they can get out of control even faster. Speaking from personal experience, pre-NF I was at a BMI of around 15.5 for a period of time. Although I wasn't severely underweight for a very long period of time (think 6-8 months hovering around 15.5-18), a visit to the doctor eventually revealed organ damage to my liver, heart and kidneys, as well as osteopenia and a variety of deficiencies. That's not even including the effects of lethargy, hair loss, and the complete inability to maintain homeostasis. 

Like what others are saying, I think she's at a bit of a crucial point right now; I can completely understand the need to lose all the weight for the competition. What I think everyone is waiting for now is to see if she can do what I (and actual medical professionals, I'm sure) believe to be best for her health, which is to restore some of that needed tissue and mass. It was mentally difficult for me to do that, and I hope she has an easier time of it. To me, it doesn't matter if she's happy with the changes or not; if she's pleased with it, but it's not healthy, that's when those close to her should be on alert.

• Like 1

Level 5 Dryad Druid + Adventurer

STR 7 | DEX 10 | STA 9 | CON 8 | WIS 13 | CHA 10.5

Leo's Dawn of Dragons Challenge

Yeah, the problem with the competitiion idea is everyone's definition of fitness is different. Plus, It then basically becomes a training for a competition show which is no longer something that the majority of possible viewers can relate to. Losing weight or body fat is. If  they were to make it a body fat % loss show, then they could actually help redefine to viewers which statisitcs and goals are actually important and really help them all get healthier in a better way. Like has been said though, the error in those measurements bounces around way too much, even for some of the most accurate scans, and certain people could go home undeservedly.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Yeah, the problem with the competitiion idea is everyone's definition of fitness is different. Plus, It then basically becomes a training for a competition show which is no longer something that the majority of possible viewers can relate to. Losing weight or body fat is. If they were to make it a body fat % loss show, then they could actually help redefine to viewers which statisitcs and goals are actually important and really help them all get healthier in a better way. Like has been said though, the error in those measurements bounces around way too much, even for some of the most accurate scans, and certain people could go home undeservedly.

Plus you lose all the tension of the contestant standing on the scales and waiting for the number to come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

They could do a fake laser body scan with a kinect or something and "measure" their bf %, but really all the measurements they need are done pre-weigh in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Here's an interesting take on the "addicted to losing" angle.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/10/opinion/cupp-biggest-loser-been-there/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

500 / 330 / 625

Plus you lose all the tension of the contestant standing on the scales and waiting for the number to come up.

You could add the tension of the contestant going into a BodPod. Throw in some suitable sound effects and bam! instant edge-of-your-seat inaction!

• Like 2

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss