Forums are back in action! ×

Things that drive you absolutely bananas.

Oh RandMart..... Where's the fun in that? :D

I usually add colorful metaphors when I make statements about some of the Facebook updates I read. I don't comment either, myself, but the status updates can typically tell us more about the persons character than we care to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:strawberry: GolfCart34 :strawberry:

Twitter | FaceBook | Instagram

*I'm not the type of person who is scared of something.  If something is going to happen it's meant to be. - Kimi Raikkonen*

*We have to remember these days.  We have to enjoy them while they last.  You should never lose the passion and the joy and always remember the days when you were just dreaming of these things happening.  For all of us it is important just to enjoy the moment and realize there is more time later on in our lives to realize what it meant. - Sebastian Vettel*

We always have clear expectations for the kids.  They know what we want them to do and what the consequences of not meeting those expectations will be.  It's been that way since they could walk.  Discipline is consistent every single time.  We are generous with affection and praise good behavior and any achievements the kids make.  We never talk down to our kids, we talk to them like the smart, capable little people they are.  We encourage creativity, and regularly engage in family arts and crafts activities.  We read to the kids and teach them how to read and write, and that learning is fun.  Television, games, toys, etc. are rewards that are earned by doing good things for other people, chores, and following the rules.  We teach our kids that nothing is freely given, you earn what you want through hard work.  We also use a reward system of 'treasure coins.'  Every time the kids exercise, do a chore, or do a good deed for someone else they earn a coin for their little treasure chest.  Coins can be spent to buy back toys that were taken away, television time, game time, etc.  We're strict parents, but the resulsts speak for themselves.  My four year olds are learning to read and write.  Before kindgergarten my six year old was reading books at a 3rd grade level, could do math, tell time, etc. 

People that don't have kids or have spoiled, rude children tell me I'm an overly strict a-hole of a parent.  I laugh it off and go home to my wonderful children.  We'll see what an a-hole the kids think I am when they graduate from college in a couple decades.  :playful:

Oy, when can I start this.

My little one is 1.5 and dicipline is near impossible.  He just dosent connect things like a rational human being, the other day I had to inform him that throwing dirty clothing in the hamper does NOT mean we are throwing him out.

The kid equated tossing dirty clothes with tossing him.

I don't even know what to do with that in a logical sense.

On that note I would like to thank/apologise to the local diner & supermarket for letting us test-run the Smush.  He's doing better, but occasionally he gets loose!

Crazyjerseygirl, Level 1 Beast Adventurer
STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 1

Move the decimal to the right & switch "him" for "her," and you're in my Hell

But at least teenagers are somewhat logical.  They understand cause and effect.  Mine is still having problems figuring out that jumping on the sofa = tumble.  You figure, hey he'll figure it out if he falls once or twice, LIES, ALL LIES!!!!

But at least teenagers are somewhat logical.  They understand cause and effect.  Mine is still having problems figuring out that jumping on the sofa = tumble.  You figure, hey he'll figure it out if he falls once or twice, LIES, ALL LIES!!!!

Or you wind up with a kid who is into parkour. The only downside is you might be seeing a lot of your doctor and/or dentist.

What we are born with, we must make our own
Or it remains a mere appurtenance.
-Faust

The concept of being 'overtired'.  This drove me crazy with my son.  It doesn't make any sense at all and it still clashes with my ideas of reality.  How can you get too tired to go to sleep? How can not getting enough sleep make you too tired so then you can't sleep?  agh!

When I'm tired I can fall asleep anywhere.  When I don't get enough sleep and I'm even more tired, I sleep.

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time."  When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

Driftwood's Battle Log

First Challenge:  24 Feb - 6 April 2014

Second Challenge (Monks) :  14 April - 25 May 2014

The concept of being 'overtired'.  This drove me crazy with my son.  It doesn't make any sense at all and it still clashes with my ideas of reality.  How can you get too tired to go to sleep? How can not getting enough sleep make you too tired so then you can't sleep?  agh!

When I'm tired I can fall asleep anywhere.  When I don't get enough sleep and I'm even more tired, I sleep.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a point where you're body just say "Ok, I'm not going to sleep anytime soon so what can I do instead"

Kids and logic don't go together, I'd have to look at my psychology book, but I don't think kids have gotten their "consequence processing" part of their brain by that age yet.

I could be wrong...

Besides, jumping off couches is fun...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Or you wind up with a kid who is into parkour. The only downside is you might be seeing a lot of your doctor and/or dentist.

I have good insurance, I can deal with this!

It wouldn't be so hilariously annoying if it weren't for the fact that it bothers him!  He can bump his head a million times, meh.  But you would think putting 2&2 together wouldn't be this difficult!

That said he's a strong kid and is never injured in these endeavours.  I figure it's a delicate balance between letting him figure it out on his own and him hitting his head so many times that he goes stupid.

Oh, this is me.  I get overtired.  I will run about the house doing crazy stuff until my husband physically stops me (usually by engaging me in some dorky conversation) and I pretty much fall asleep standing up.

Looks like the Smush takes after me too.  Poor husband.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a point where you're body just say "Ok, I'm not going to sleep anytime soon so what can I do instead"

Kids and logic don't go together, I'd have to look at my psychology book, but I don't think kids have gotten their "consequence processing" part of their brain by that age yet.

I could be wrong...

Besides, jumping off couches is fun...

I'm pretty sure he hasn't.  I mean he's juuuuuust processing "turning cup = spillage"

Its a great age, and I love watching him figure stuff out, but some of these lessons are painful to watch!

I don't want to be terrible strict.  My parents were...couldn't cross the street till I was 12 and was constantly yelled at for dressing to provocativly (got lady-parts at age 9, so yay awkward!)  I'd rather Smush figure out stuff for himself rather than me tell him whats what.  But oy i dunno if his head can take much more!

I'm pretty sure he hasn't.  I mean he's juuuuuust processing "turning cup = spillage"

Its a great age, and I love watching him figure stuff out, but some of these lessons are painful to watch!

I don't want to be terrible strict.  My parents were...couldn't cross the street till I was 12 and was constantly yelled at for dressing to provocativly (got lady-parts at age 9, so yay awkward!)  I'd rather Smush figure out stuff for himself rather than me tell him whats what.  But oy i dunno if his head can take much more!

There's plenty of evidence that shows that the best way for them to learn, is to let em explore,and that includes getting hurt. Getting hurt has been shown to help kids later in life with knowing their limits and being more cautious. There's an entire movement based around this idea. And his head can, mine took WAY more abuse than most heads take and I turned out ok, well maybe ok...

There's just times that you need to guide em, but not hover.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

There's plenty of evidence that shows that the best way for them to learn, is to let em explore,and that includes getting hurt. Getting hurt has been shown to help kids later in life with knowing their limits and being more cautious. There's an entire movement based around this idea. And his head can, mine took WAY more abuse than most heads take and I turned out ok, well maybe ok...

There's just times that you need to guide em, but not hover.

Oh I know.  I did the research (which is insanely tough, too much "mom-science" IMO) and I like the idea of letting kids make their own errors.  But even though my logical mind is all about this, the part of me that is crazy and motherly wants to protect him from everything out there.  Welp, no one ever claimed it would be easy!  And it does have benefits, he is very aware for a 1.5yo.  He's brave, but not stupid and knows to stop when there is a car.  Mind you, he just freezes, even if he's in the middle of a park...but it's a start :)

Oh I know.  I did the research (which is insanely tough, too much "mom-science" IMO) and I like the idea of letting kids make their own errors.  But even though my logical mind is all about this, the part of me that is crazy and motherly wants to protect him from everything out there.  Welp, no one ever claimed it would be easy!  And it does have benefits, he is very aware for a 1.5yo.  He's brave, but not stupid and knows to stop when there is a car.  Mind you, he just freezes, even if he's in the middle of a park...but it's a start :)

HAHAHA... and yeah, my mom still worries about me, so I don't think that's EVER going away.

Better for him to be like that, than to learn like I did and actually get hit... :-)

My first challenge

I have good insurance, I can deal with this!

It wouldn't be so hilariously annoying if it weren't for the fact that it bothers him!  He can bump his head a million times, meh.  But you would think putting 2&2 together wouldn't be this difficult!

That said he's a strong kid and is never injured in these endeavours.  I figure it's a delicate balance between letting him figure it out on his own and him hitting his head so many times that he goes stupid.

ha-this cracked me up. My son was like this too. He survived and is now in college. Now I look back and see when he was doing that kind of stuff over and over, he was just trying to figure it out. Provided he doesn't knock himself silly ;) , he will most likely grow up to be the kind of kid who finds a goal and perseveres at it until he gets there.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

ha-this cracked me up. My son was like this too. He survived and is now in college. Now I look back and see when he was doing that kind of stuff over and over, he was just trying to figure it out. Provided he doesn't knock himself silly ;) , he will most likely grow up to be the kind of kid who finds a goal and perseveres at it until he gets there.

Oh he's already like that.

The nesting boxes.  They are his nemesis. 

He will go at the nesting boxes, tongue stuck out of the side of his mouth, for half an hour at a time.  He's almost got it!

If that sticks around till college (who am I kidding, by the time he's 20 you'll need a PhD to manage a McDonalds) I'll be thrilled!

Oh he's already like that.

The nesting boxes.  They are his nemesis. 

He will go at the nesting boxes, tongue stuck out of the side of his mouth, for half an hour at a time.  He's almost got it!

If that sticks around till college (who am I kidding, by the time he's 20 you'll need a PhD to manage a McDonalds) I'll be thrilled!

:lol:

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

tsscchhhh tscchhhh tsscchhhh tscchhhh tsscchhhh tscchhhh tsscchhhh tscchhhh....

What am I?

The sound of people who don't PICK UP THEIR DAMN FEET WHEN THEY WALK!!

• Like 1

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

tsscchhhh tscchhhh tsscchhhh tscchhhh tsscchhhh tscchhhh tsscchhhh tscchhhh....

What am I?

The sound of people who don't PICK UP THEIR DAMN FEET WHEN THEY WALK!!

I can only assume you have an equal love for mouth-breathers as well. :peaceful:

What we are born with, we must make our own
Or it remains a mere appurtenance.
-Faust

As long as I can't hear it, breathe away!

The guy sitting next to me sleeps at his desk every day, then he twitches and wakes himself up slurping, then he clears his throat. It goes like this....

*twitch-jump* *SLUURRRP* *UGGH-HUH*

Every.......day......

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

Here's another one: the goddamned scale!

I swear, that thing is a filthy liar. Either that, or it can't make up its mind. A few weeks ago it said I was around 132 lbs after the gym and on an empty stomach. Awesome! A few days ago, I was 139 lbs, which is bullshit, and I knew this because it was after supper and I had just finished drinking three large cups of tea. Whatever.

Today I weighed myself before showering: 140 lbs.

...and after showering: 144 lbs.

WHAT THE FUCK. I MEAN REALLY. SDFGADFGFADF

I'm not doing anything different. I can still see ab veins (maybe more than before? Dafuq?) and I still pass the pants tests that I give myself daily. Well, okay, maybe I am doing something a bit differently: I went from very low-carb to regular low carb in the last few weeks, and I didn't have any alcohol on weekdays last week, but...THAT much muscle, that fast? I don't even think that's possible. Maybe I've gained a little bit of fat because I love peanut butter and trail mix too much? I don't even know. All I DO know is that now I feel fat X(

Die in a fire, scale.