Forums are back in action! ×

Worst Advice =EVER=!

As long as you work out you can eat whatever you want, whenever you want. Also, the 5 people I know that have had weight loss surgeries saying they can eat whatever they want because it's in such small amounts. All of them are bigger than when they had the procedures!

• Like 2

And in this existence, I'll stay persistent

And I'll make a difference, and I will have lived it- MFTP

Battle Log

You need to eat more...

Said to someone who was pretty sedentary, though skinny. It also wasn't a reference to eat more meat and veggies, just eat anything...

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I know better, and told him this wasn't true... But my boyfriend said "just eat whatever you want and workout." -_- in his defense he's really tall and fit and can eat everything in sight and not gain a pound... He doesn't get that isnt normal and I want to be healthy inside too

This was me until I found NF.  I'm very similar to your boyfriend in that I find it difficult to gain weight no matter what I eat.  It has gotten better since I started to actually watch what I eat though in addition to working out.  I'm still not what you would call a "healthy eater", but I'm definitely more healthy than I was.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Yeah, I went to the nurse last year (before finding NF) and she told me that I should change my diet to a "low fat" diet to help me get to my target weight.

"But I think I eat healthy, lots of vegetables, no processed foods, and all my fats come from natural sources.... Like butter, milk, nuts, oily fish.... Aren't they GOOD fats???"

"No, you should switch to low-fat versions and watch your calorie intake"

Errrrr...... Nope! I don't do "low-fat" or count calories (unless it's to make sure I'm getting enough!). Shortly after that conversation I found James Duigan's 'Clean and Lean' book. That made waaaay more sense to me than the nonsense peddled by the nurse.

Still losing weight (fat) and gaining muscle. Up yours nurse! :D

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

The whole starvation mode concept.  The little shred of truth to it that allows it to live on applies to <0.000001% of the people worried about starvation mode.

Overtraining.  Again the little shred of truth to it that allows it to live on applies to <0.000001% of the people worried about overtraining.

Turning fat into muscle.  This is downright nonsensical.

Recomping and all other assorted zero fat (or even fat loss) attempts at muscle gain.  Waste of time that scared noobs are overly herded toward.

Eating clean.  Vaguely defined arbitrary rules to define good/bad and right/wrong which is little more than the obfuscation of reality.

But I don't want to turn into a bodybuilder, Arnold, or get too bulky.  Lots of noobs say this and believe this, but it is downright insulting to people trying to get leaner and bigger due to how believing the phrase requires a gross miscalculation of difficulty.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

This was me until I found NF.  I'm very similar to your boyfriend in that I find it difficult to gain weight no matter what I eat.  It has gotten better since I started to actually watch what I eat though in addition to working out.  I'm still not what you would call a "healthy eater", but I'm definitely more healthy than I was.  

This gives me hope... :-)

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

"Don't squat passed parallel. It's bad for your knees" 

signle worst piece of advice I have ever heard. And hearing it still makes me so full of anger. 

Am I the only person who never received this piece of advice?

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

But I don't want to turn into a bodybuilder, Arnold, or get too bulky.  Lots of noobs say this and believe this, but it is downright insulting to people trying to get leaner and bigger due to how believing the phrase requires a gross miscalculation of difficulty.

I've said this, but I think the context is what makes the difference.  As I see it, my goal is to get stronger and if I happen to get bigger as a by-product of that, all for the better.  I just didn't set out with "get big" as a goal.  

Nothing against those whose goal is to get big.  If that's your goal, don't let me stop you! Go for it! 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

The whole starvation mode concept.  The little shred of truth to it that allows it to live on applies to <0.000001% of the people worried about starvation mode.

Overtraining.  Again the little shred of truth to it that allows it to live on applies to <0.000001% of the people worried about overtraining.

Turning fat into muscle.  This is downright nonsensical.

Recomping and all other assorted zero fat (or even fat loss) attempts at muscle gain.  Waste of time that scared noobs are overly herded toward.

Eating clean.  Vaguely defined arbitrary rules to define good/bad and right/wrong which is little more than the obfuscation of reality.

All of this.

I have a coworker who constantly uses the word "tone". As in muscles that are toned or doing exercises that help with toning or "getting that toned look". It really makes my head hurt.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

This is a great topic. Will help me if I am told anything that is on the list.

Deslok

Level 2 Human Adventurer

Stats: STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 3 CON - 3 WIS - 3 CHA - 2

Begin Date: 1/6/2014 - Target Date: 1/5/2015

Begin Weight: 302.5 lbs - Current Weight: 288.0 lbs - Target Weight: 200 lbs

Height: 5'8" - Age: 43

Daily Battle Log No longer updated

6  Week Challenges

4th challenge

I Floop the Pig!

This one annoys me to a great degree whenever I hear it. It's like Arnold got that way by accident. Oops I'm Mr. Olympia.

The worst piece of advice, from more than one person, was that I was genetically predisposed to be skinny and I shouldn't bother to lift weights because I would never get bigger. I get very angry whenever I hear this being perpetuated to anyone else.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Still losing weight (fat) and gaining muscle. Up yours nurse! :D

Sorry Waldo. What I should have said was increasing strength not gaining muscle. I stand corrected, please don't shout at me.. ;)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously