Forums are back in action! ×

Worst Advice =EVER=!

Yeah, bit of a c-up there. I assumed it would follow up when I mentioned the falsely assumed "1+ hour of feeling hunger" lol. Anyways, FIXED!

And btw baby carrots are awesome... but not as awesome as baby corn on cob! :-)

IntroductionBodyware: Fitness Journal

Challenge Belt: (1)(2)(3)(4), (5), (6), (7), [WOOT](8), [TEMP HIATUS], (9)

Bodyweight Info: Starting: 264.5lbs, Current: 167.8lbs (NEUTRAL)

IronGlider v2.10, Adventurer Rank: Level 8

Oh and then there was my brother. Who tried to convince me that Maccas (Edit: McDonald's) and Pizza Hut is good for you because fat is good for you and I just.

Actually... if they're done in moderation (Once or twice a week, or less) they're perfectly okay food choices.  Its when you're killing an entire large pizza or big mac, shakes and fries every day for any period of time that it gets to be an issue.

I love my fast food, but i'm lucky to live in a place with healthy-friendly places.  Grilled chicken at Panda Express and Chick Fil A are great, as is a Lion's choice if you're anywhere near one.

Then again, i'm sure there's other places that i'm missing... I just don't do subway becasue of the amount of bread involved. X_X  Of course i say this while feeling sorry for myself in a can of pringles, but... yeah... <_<

Edit:

Whoops.  I realized I gave a bad answer.  The problem with McDonalds' menu is the massive presence of Trans Fats.  Y'know, stuff that's been processed a lot.  While they won't kill you, they do awful things to your gut.... which i guess means they'll eventually kill you.  Or something.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-are-trans-fats-bad/ discusses the topic in his usual brain-melting detail.  In short: Don't eat mc donalds.  Ever.

• Like 1

Mark Sisson is a fear-mongering quack. I don't hold him in much higher regard than Dr. Oz. Yes, I said it.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Actually... if they're done in moderation (Once or twice a week, or less) they're perfectly okay food choices.  Its when you're killing an entire large pizza or big mac, shakes and fries every day for any period of time that it gets to be an issue.

I love my fast food, but i'm lucky to live in a place with healthy-friendly places.  Grilled chicken at Panda Express and Chick Fil A are great, as is a Lion's choice if you're anywhere near one.

Then again, i'm sure there's other places that i'm missing... I just don't do subway becasue of the amount of bread involved. X_X  Of course i say this while feeling sorry for myself in a can of pringles, but... yeah... <_<

Edit:

Whoops.  I realized I gave a bad answer.  The problem with McDonalds' menu is the massive presence of Trans Fats.  Y'know, stuff that's been processed a lot.  While they won't kill you, they do awful things to your gut.... which i guess means they'll eventually kill you.  Or something.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-are-trans-fats-bad/ discusses the topic in his usual brain-melting detail.  In short: Don't eat mc donalds.  Ever.

So, Trans Fat is bad, Sat Fat is good? I always got the two confused quite a bit. <.<

Things that I've been told as "advice" for fitness... note, this isn't all the "worst" advice but I'm putting it down because a lot of people, sometimes the same people, contradict themselves when trying to give me advice. 

• Don't do squats, they're bad for your knees.
  • Don't do squats, it'll make your arse big. 
  • You don't need to squat so low. All you need to do is squat slightly and then flex your quads. 
  • Deadlifts are bad for your back. 
  • Cranberry juice burns fat. 
  • You should do pyramid training - start light, each set gets heavier until you reach maximum. 
  • Don't lift heavy weights because it'll make you slow and bulky, if you want power and speed you need to lift light weights with lots of reps. 
  • As long as you exercise you can eat whatever you want.
  • If you're trying to lose weight you can't eat anything bad at all. 
  • You won't lose weight by lifting weights, you have to do cardio and lots of it. Go for a run. 
  • You're having too much protein, that's bad for you.
  • You're not getting enough protein in your diet, that's bad for you.
  • You shouldn't stretch before doing weights, you'll lose gains.
  • Don't do cardio, you'll lose gains.
  • Carbs are good for you, they'll make you stronger.
  • Carbs aren't good for you, they'll make you fat. 
  • Steroids aren't bad for you if you use them properly. 
  • Don't eat breakfast, skipping breakfast will boost your metabolism so you can burn more fat.
  • Eat breakfast because it'll boost your metabolism and you'll burn more fat. 
  • You should only eat once every three hours to boost your metabolism and burn fat. 
  • If you lift weights really slowly, you'll burn fat around that area. 
  • You need to train your abs more if you want a six pack. 
  • Like 1

Don't do squats, it'll make your arse big. -truth

Big strong glutes are built by big squats and deadlifts. They are also key to stabilizing the SI joint to keep lower back pain at bay. Big ass = happy hips and back.

Carbs are good for you, they'll make you stronger. -truth

Nothing feeds muscles like the food they were made to eat. Carbs are the only macro capable of being converted to glycogen, the "gas in the tank" if you will.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Edit:

I like him for the scientific explanations, then draw my own conclusions based on that... As I learned a while ago, paleo != my goals at all.

So, Trans Fat is bad, Sat Fat is good? I always got the two confused quite a bit. <.<

I think something like that? I don't know 100% to be honest.

TFW you realize McDonalds has been trans fats free since May 2008....

Mark Sisson is a fear-mongering quack. I don't hold him in much higher regard than Dr. Oz. Yes, I said it.

This.

His science and interpretation of it is garbage.

If you want a scientific take on dieting, pay attention to real scientists.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

TFW you realize McDonalds has been trans fats free since May 2008....

Beef contains CLA. CLA is a trans fat. McDonalds in not in fact trans fat free.

SCIENCE BITCH!

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Beef contains CLA. CLA is a trans fat. McDonalds in not in fact trans fat free.

SCIENCE BITCH!

Yes but natural Trans Fats have been found to be healthy. It is only the added Trans Fats from partially hydrogenated oils that have been found to have negative health side effects.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Don't do squats, it'll make your arse big. -truth

Big strong glutes are built by big squats and deadlifts. They are also key to stabilizing the SI joint to keep lower back pain at bay. 

AH! Maybe that was the ticket ...

The worst fitness advice I've received was from my own brain - "ignore the pain". 

Race: Ferret | Class: Assassin | Level: 4 | STR: 6  DEX: 3  STA: 1  CON: 5  WIS: 7  CHA: 3

Battle Log | Challenges: 1, 2, 3

There's a difference between "STOP STOP STOP!!!" pain and "stop being a pussy" pain. I haven't found it yet. I'll report how one feels different than the other when I figure it out.

• Like 4

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

There's a difference between "STOP STOP STOP!!!" pain and "stop being a pussy" pain. I haven't found it yet. I'll report how one feels different than the other when I figure it out.

There certainly is a difference. I believe it isn't too hard to tell the difference between "stop pain" and "working pain". 

I call it "working pain" because during a workout you might be lifting weights or whatever, you start to get tired, your muscles start to feel sore and they start to ache, it's not "painful" but it is certainly uncomfortable. You can still move. You keep moving until the end of your set, or if you reach exhaustion. 

An injury on the other hand, "stop pain", isn't hard to identify. In my experience when I have genuinely hurt myself, it's a very different sensation to that of exercising. It's a sensation and feeling that I want to stop, it's more than uncomfortable. Your body and even your mind basically wants to stop what you're doing. Your mind starts to think "I don't think this is right". 

I spot the difference because I've sprained ankles, had concussions, tore my right ACL, nearly broken my back, injured my back on multiple occasions, and have done many silly things to myself. Granted most of it is from judo and very little of it is from the gym, but it's not too difficult to spot the difference between the "stop pain" and the "working pain". 

Rupture a disk

This. I haven't done this one yet and I hope never to do it but I can imagine you might feel this one right away. 

• Like 2

Vincent Dizenzo said it best in an EliteFTS Twitter chat I creeped on:

Q: "What's the difference between an injury you work through or work around?"

A: "A trip to the hospital."

• Like 3

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

If I can point to a particular spot, and say "That SPOT hurts" then I stop, if I can't and it's just a general pain over the entire muscle, then I don't stop...

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)