Forums are back in action! ×

So I just joined the forums, mostly for the purpose of participating in the next six-week challenge.  Over the past few years, I've gradulally realized that I'm not as young as I used to be.  I'm not old, either (I'm 33), but this kind of snuck up on me.  Up through college, I was active - I've never been in the habit of spending time in the gym, but between pickup basketball, dorm sports, and general adventures, I maintained a decent level of organic fitness.  At some point after college, I stopped doing these things as much and that fitness eroded.  And probably I should have noticed it sooner, but my body didn't change much - I just gradually went from a fairly fit 180-185 lbs. to a not very fit 185-190 lbs, with intermittent periods of greater and lesser fitness in between.

Anyway, over the past few years, I've noticed that I can't do some of the things I used to take for granted.  And the things I can still do feel a lot harder and hurt a lot more the next day.  I sort of feel like I'm at a crossroads over the next few years.  I'm still strong enough that I think I have a good base to work myself back into shape, but I can also sense that if I don't do it now, that base will continue to erode and I'll find myself in rough shape as I go into my 40s.

So that's kind of where I am now.  I've been trying to get some exercise at home - pushups, crunches, squats, etc.  If the snow ever melts, I'll take up running again.  I've had some limited success with this - I ran a 5k last fall (slowly), but then had to stop running for the winter.  But it doesn't feel like enough; I want to take it another step and really rebuild my whole-body strength (especially my core) and general endurance.  Which I guess is why I'm here - to figure out what that looks like.

• Like 2

Hey, Stranger!  Welcome to the Rebellion.

It's easy to slip into being non-fit.  We don't have much cause for non-exercise activity (NEAT) as we become working adults, and the fitness just gradually melts away. 

Take getting fit gradually!  I hear you about the snow.  We can finally get OFF the treadmills and onto the roads.  Do you use C25K or Zombies, Run!  apps at all?  They have helped me enjoy getting back into running.

And I'm a big fan of bodyweight exercises. 

Sounds like you are on the right track - join up in the challenge to help you motivate and keep track of progress!

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)