Forums are back in action! ×

My nemisis: The Lawn.

My arch foe has returned again: The Lawn. I had this oh so bright idea of doing all my yard work manually instead of hiring someone. I figured it would be free exercise, but in hindsight, I am starting to question the sanity of that decision.

Forget pull-ups and barbells, want to work your shoulders into oblivion? Dethatch by hand an acre of land and rake 51 bags of leaves.

Like hiking and spending 3 hours walking around outside? Use a push mower for your lawn and try not to fall asleep from the monotony of walking across your lawn 14,000 times.

I think I need to pave the whole thing over.

I just bought a reel mower to cut the paths between our raised garden beds. My daughter has taken a liking to it and it is safe enough for her to use. I wonder how long it would take a 6 year old to mow the whole yard with that thing...

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

My arch foe has returned again: The Lawn. I had this oh so bright idea of doing all my yard work manually instead of hiring someone. I figured it would be free exercise, but in hindsight, I am starting to question the sanity of that decision.

Forget pull-ups and barbells, want to work your shoulders into oblivion? Dethatch by hand an acre of land and rake 51 bags of leaves.

Like hiking and spending 3 hours walking around outside? Use a push mower for your lawn and try not to fall asleep from the monotony of walking across your lawn 14,000 times.

I think I need to pave the whole thing over.

When I was a kid, my parents kind of did that... we didn't ever have a huge lawn, and when I was 5 we covered a big chunk of the back yard with crushed limestone to make a kennel for our new dog to do his business in. Then when I was a bit older we expanded the driveway (more crushed limestone), and then expanded the kennel to literally take up the entire back yard. It's possible my parents owned stock in a limestone crushing company. I secretly really wanted a paved driveway to ride my bike in.

Why grow grass when you can grow food?

Lower maintenance, higher satisfaction, and great for your health to have the freshest food possible.

Join the revolution brother!

My attempt to grow food last year had mixed results.. i did ok with potatoes and scallions but had no luck with carrots of lettuce. Also murder some strawberry bushes.

Oddly enough i have some wild food that seems to be thriving. There is one patch of my year yard that is going gang busters with green onions and I have a peach tree that fruits, just need to thin the peach tree and hopefully get edible fruit.

I was house sitting a friend of mines place over the winter. They are big into permaculture, their whole yard(an urban lot) is covered in food production. They planted some new tree's that have 5 times of apples grafted onto the same tree. The science behind this stuff is going wild.

I'd recommend hopping on the google and finding what will grow best to your climate. With some planning and growing plants that work best for your climate it takes so much work out of it.

I'm lucky, in Victoria BC, the best thing to grow is Kale!

Currently lost in Fitness.

Heh, you don't have a neighborhood homeowner's association to deal with.  If I turned the lawn into a veggie garden, they'd sue the house out from under us.

It also doesn't help that I have a brown thumb.  I can kill mint and rosemary, which thrive on neglect.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson