Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings! Lurking member here, looking to find a new way to work out. I've had an account here for almost exactly a year, but I never really got into the community aspect of NerdFitness. I spent last summer doing wonderful cardio and weight lifting workouts, until September. That's when a spine injury that I had taken care of back in college came back with a nasty vengeance. I was SO PROUD of my progress back in the fall!

So for about a year, I have been slipping into bad habits. My old treatments were no longer working for me, since some of my vertebral discs are deteriorating. A friend recommended a physical therapist, and I have seen some improvement in mobility. (I leave the walking stick at home!) I've got the use of a lap pool for this upcoming week. It's going to be my test to see if it'll be worth it to pay for access to a pool. I also am looking into aquafit classes, if I can work out in the water without pain. 

It's quite easy to fall into the "I hurt, I can't exercise" mindset for me. And what comes with pain? Comfort food! But my goal is to get back into the game. I have to change my exercises, but I want to feel fit again. On those achy days when I just want something sweet and tasty, I need to find an alternative. I am hoping to participate in challenges and rediscover my good habits. I may be injured, but I can find a way to keep active.

• Like 1

Good to have you Blooferlady!  Oftentimes, making a verbal (or typed) committment to others is a huge help in meeting our goals and giving us the extra push to change our habits.  I hope we can be of service to you as you seek to regain your fitness.

Sky Pirate Monk

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue

Hello and welcome out of the shadows of lurkiness. I came to check out your intro after noticing you post on the swimming forum. Your post above resonated with me alot, I used to have the exact same "hurt = no exercise" mentality which kept stalling my fitness every time I started, and have also started to solve that problem with swimming.

You have definitely got the right attitude to start with, and I applaud you. Know the limits of your injury, and find a way to keep active, any way you can.

Also having been a long time lurker who has got involved in this community, I can heartily recommend it, especially getting involved in the challenges.

Everyone here is awesome, you will be too, by making the choice to overcome your obstacles you already are. 

• Like 1

Level: 3 - Wood Elf - Wanderer

STR: 0 | DEX: 5 | STA: 11 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 2

Challenges: 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | Current

"Quit...don't quit...noodles...don't noodles. You are too concerned with what was, and what will be"

- Master Oogway