Forums are back in action! ×

I'm a 20 year old Southern female who likes food. I'm trying to keep liking food, but get super fit at the same time. It's a bit of a struggle for me because food is just so darn good. Plus I'm in college. So you can only imagine. 

Point is, I want/NEED to lose weight. I want to find a way to keep it off and enjoy doing it. I find it hard to commit to any type of plan, but for the last 15 days, I've been doing some form of exercising, whether it be riding my bike around my neighborhood or doing the bodyweight exercise that Steve posted on YouTube (Thanks, dude. So far, I love it). 

But what I really, REALLY want to get into is strength training. I've always wanted to gain muscles. Back in high school, I would "semi-lift" with my older cousin. Aka just lift heavy shit and PRAY we don't accidentally kill ourselves in the process. Totally unsupervised kids. And right now I feel like an unsupervised kid again. I'm too broke to join a gym. But I'm in college and we have access to our school's fitness center. (I have no idea what they have in there. Out of the 3 years I've been going to that school, it's the one place I've actively avoided for NO reason.) 

Overall, I need guidance and a little bit to a lot of motivation just to know I'm on the right track. I guess what I really need is a mentor to tell me I'm doing okay. My family isn't the people to give me that push, sadly. 

Any help would be LOVED and much needed. 

Thanks in Advanced. 

And you're pretty cool if you actually read this. Add me on Xbox Live: xxGLOREOxx. I play GTA V and I need some gamer buddies anyway :D 

• Like 2

Hey Yung, you're taking the first step to getting a better shape. Welcome to the community! I can say that you're overall goal is to lose weight and gain muscle. If you can't join a gym then you can use your bodyweight. For example, 12 squats, 15 crunches and 10 pushups (modified if necessary). These will help build your muscle. For cardio you can do jumping jacks, high knee raises or skipping. Take things slow set action goals. Maybe to workout 3 times a week. With your nutrition eating a fruit a day and a salad before lunch.

Hope this helps :peaceful:

• Like 1

Hi Yung! I started strength training in the last few months and let me tell ya, it is THE exercise for people who love to eat! Haha! Not that you can get away with eating junk, but you can certainly go ahead and indulge all those protein cravings you'll be having.

I encourage you to go check out your College's fitness center. You might be pleasantly surprised! I work for a University (the same one I graduated from) and so that's where I have access to, too. I guarantee you they will have at least free weights, what is what you really want and need anyway. If you feel uncomfortable at first, you might see if any of your friends are looking to get in shape, too. That's something I still struggle with; I HATE working out in front of people. Even now that my form is actually decent and I am lifting pretty heavy I do most everything at home since I don't like to work out around strangers. I know it's irrational and I know I will have to get over it pretty soon, since some of my big lifts will soon outweigh my bar's capacity and my ability to do them at home safely. My husband goes with me most of the time, which is nice, but it's still a bit uncomfortable being the only girl using the bar. Several of my girlfriends have expressed an interest in learning to lift, though, so maybe I'll have some female comany come the Fall semster. :)

Best of luck and hope to see you in the challenge boards!

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Warrior

STR: 5 // DEX: 2 // STA: 2 // CON: 4 // WIS: 3 // CHA: 4

Introduction

Challenges: 1, 2 (current)

Fitocracy

Battle Log

"Didn't you know? Women have to be strong in order to survive!" -- Sakura Haruno

"If I look back I am lost." -- Daenerys Targaryen

"It's the job that's never started as takes the longest to finish." -- Samwise Gamgee

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." -- Albus Dumbledore

"Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It's not the time, it's the person." -- 10th Doctor

Hi Yung!

There are lots of ways to get exercise without a gym, but I do suggest that you check into your university for a fitness center!

I hear ya about needing to have a little help, and support!

I was wondering if you would be joining us for this 6 week challenge?

If so, head over to the Level 1 Rebels at http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/372-level-1-rebels/

sign up and create your own thread....come up with challenges that will move you forward!

Once you have your level 1 challenge up, the guild ambassodors will stop by, and give you ideas for your goals - basically, the ones in this introduction post!

Once you join the 6 week challenge - I'd love to invite you to join a level 1 accountabilibuddies group for us to support each other for the next 6 weeks.  If you are interested in Storming the Castle - please come join me!

For more Adventurer information, head on over to the Adventurer’s Tavern where you’ll find lots of great ideas and inspiration.

If you’d like to talk to me,  you can either check out my current challenge  Prep for Camp NF, or pm me on the board.  

If you have any questions on how to use the forums, check out this tutorial.

I’ll be following your thread here as well so Let’s do this!

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Well, I messed up. I got a bit discouraged and lazy. I have band camp next week and my mind is saying "Self, you need to relax. You have strenuous activites next week. If you do squats, you won't have perfect form!" Which is dumb because squats would help my back. Which would help my form. Which would give me a better scholarship... But my brain logic is stupid sometimes. 

Any ideas on how I can get myself back in the routine?? I really need some. Mostly because I'm getting mad at my lack of motivaton. How did I go from highly motivated to 'meh' in two days?? 

Please help.. 

Ahhhhhhhh, thou art human!

So, next week is band camp. .. Starting Sunday?

Look over your goals. .. and plan what might work into band camp. ..food, not so much if I remember right... but think through what you can control next week.

Then write down what you want to accomplish next week.

Then what do you want to do the following week, when you get back?

Now, what can you do between now and then to make those two plans successful? I'll check back!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Band camp starts on Monday. But I move in tomorrow and it lasts for two weeks. I'll be in my dorm on campus and food is just going to be iffy. College cafeteria is always weird during the summer. But I know they usually have healthy choices. I'm going to force myself to eat those.

And since band camp is super physical (I know some people don't understand this, but it's not easy marching and playing a saxophone without passing out), I figured that would be enough physical activity. But I also want to lift and I also don't want to over exert myself.

Okay. I'm rambling. 

Overall, thanks for responding. I usually try to keep myself on track by writing it down the night before and doing it in the morning. I feel like this would help me. When I'm at home, it's weird. But on my own, I feel a lot more active. 

I'll keep you updated on how all this goes. Hopefully well.