Forums are back in action! ×

Hi there.. So umm, I'm new here. Been lurking for awhile to be honest, and finally decided to speak up.  Here's the deal: I'm tired of being fat. I'm finally ready to do something about it. Over the last few years I have weighed everywhere from 180 to 120 and back to 180lbs again.  I'm about to be 28 years old and my main goal is to lose fat, get toned, and overall maintain a healthy lifestyle.  I'm a relatively healthy eater, though I do have my shameful moments.  My main problem is I simply do not work out enough.  I can never seem to get motivated and STAY motivated.  And to be honest, I don't even know where to start.

Currently I try to make the gym at least 3-4x a week. I absolutely HATE cardio, so I'll walk on the treadmill for a bit, but I detest doing so! Does anyone have any suggestions what kind of cardio routine I can do? Something interesting so I can stay with it?  I do use the machines at my gym on occasion, and my goal currently is to be able to do a set of "boy pushups". 

I was debating on joining the 6 week challenge, but I don't even know where to begin! Help!

• Like 1

You don't necessarily have to do cardio as an activity by itself.  Once you get going with a good strength training routine and push yourself to do it well but quickly, you'll get plenty of cardio!!!  What are you doing currently?  And for how long? 

It's important to find something that you DO like to do.  It doesn't have to be something that seems like work.  In fact, dancing and walking are perfectly acceptable choices.  Anything that gets you moving works.  Did you enjoy anything as a kid??  Biking?  Softball? Walking through the woods ..... do some walking down memory lane.  I have a classification image SOMEWHERE that shows a bunch of different activities .... I'll keep trying to find it. 

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

As someone who loves running, believe me, I hate the treadmill with an undying passion, too. So I don't use it unless I absolutely have to; I prefer running outside. But if you don't want to or don't like to run, then don't do it! No point in exercising to something you hate!

Basically, seconding Chris-Tien Jinn: find something you like to do. That alone will keep you motivated. If your gym offers free classes, give them a try and see which one interests you the most. If not, research other gyms around your area that might give out free trials of whatever: a free trial Zumba class, or yoga, or Les Mills (which I'm dying to try out someday soon myself!), or kickboxing, or whatever might float your boat!

And the 6 week challenge just started yesterday, and I'm sure you can squeeze in today. The helpful links at the top of the forums is a good place to start to learn about them! 

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

I would highly recommend looking into at least some introductory strength training. It will help you shift the way you look and feel about yourself.

I also think you might find weights more entertaining than you'd first think. Being able to point at the gains you're making and discovering your own strength can be very addicting. Cardio makes you work hard and sweat, but the next day, what do you get? With weights, you suddenly only take one trip for groceries, you canmove your furniture, etc. 

If you want to get that look that's referred to as "toned", then you'll want to lift as it builds muscle. Here's a related link from the blog to think over: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/04/19/5-fitness-buzzwords/

All in all, though, it's really about what you want to do. Explore through your options and think of it as an adventure. You get to play around with a lot of different options and discover what you love. Who knows, you may be more for parkour and rock climbing.

• Like 1

Bandcamp
Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger/Warrior
[str 8 || Dex 4 || Con 3 || Wis 3 || Cha 2] 

1st Challenge: The First Ideal

2nd Challenge: Perfection Through Practice
Fitocracy: Bandcamp14

I absolutely HATE cardio, so I'll walk on the treadmill for a bit, but I detest doing so! Does anyone have any suggestions what kind of cardio routine I can do? Something interesting so I can stay with it?  I do use the machines at my gym on occasion, and my goal currently is to be able to do a set of "boy pushups". 

I was debating on joining the 6 week challenge, but I don't even know where to begin! Help!

Coming from someone that hates conventional cardio as well; I understand.  Cardio doesn't = treadmill though. It can be anything that's more low impact that you can do for a while; whether it's swimming, dancing, stairs, ect.

For me, if you want to try something unconventional- I work out with a sledgehammer.  After 10 minutes of swinging around a sledgehammer (most basic movement with it would be to pretending to shovel snow or chop wood) I was sweaty, breathing heavy, and cotton mouthed.  Once I kept going with it; I found out I was pretty good at it and able to wield a hammer for 20+ minutes at a time and get a really good sweat going.  It's almost like biking for your arms.  There's tons of options here.

Just so you know; weight loss is 80%+ related to food. If you think you're eating relatively healthy; try tracking it for 2 weeks and see what you think.

As for the 6 week challenge- it's not too late to jump in:

1) Pick a main/life goal

2) Decide on 3 goals that will help you get to your main/life goal

3) Find a way to grade them and make sure they are SMART goals (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, trackable)

4) Do it now!

• Like 3

^^^ Everything everyone else said.

A few things you can do for cardio - in most decently stocked gyms - that aren't the treadmill are:

1. Cycling. You can do this on your own, or you can join a spin class.
2. Rowing. Those funny-looking machines that make you look like a dog scooching across the floor on its butt? Cardio like you wouldn't believe!
3. Jump rope. Bring your own, or ask for one at the front desk.
4. Burpees. If you can't do "boy pushups" yet, that's ok: just practice kicking back into the pushup position, coming back to the crouch, and then jumping up. This is full-body body weight exercise that is pretty much strength and cardio in one.
5. Jacob's Ladder. Feel's more like the stairway to hell than heaven, but you get cardio + amazing full body exercise. Like mountain climbing in limbo. Strongly recommend listening to your most motivating playlist while executing.

Here are some Youtube videos and articles that may help answer any other questions you might have:

Cardiovascular Exercise Gym Equipment : How to Workout your Cardiovascular System Correctly He points out that weight training is anaerobic, and doesn't burn many calories - what he doesn't mention is the "afterburn" effect, where your body continues to burn calories for several hours after your weight training as it goes about the business of building new muscle fibers and repairing the old.

Steve Kamb's (our NF founder) article: How to Work Out Properly In a Commercial Gym

Staci's story: I have a feeling this will resonate with you.

• Like 1

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Thank you to everyone!!

I LOVE Teros' idea of unconventional cardio!! I'm going to have to figure out something to do like that!

Evicious - Cycling, I've done before, but it hurts my butt! I def keep it in rotation though.  I LOVE rowing! My new gym doesn't have one though! And I'll have to ask them about a jump rope.  I detest burpees, but I know how good of a workout they can be, so I'll definitely be adding these into my routine.  Jacob's ladder looks really cool! But my gym also doesn't have that one :(

Thank you so much for all your suggestions!!

I've noticed on NF a lot of people talking about the paleo diet.  It seems interesting, however I can't have a high protein diet (previous kidney problems).  Does anyone know if the paleo diet is something I could still do? (With a moderate protein intake?)

I've noticed on NF a lot of people talking about the paleo diet.  It seems interesting, however I can't have a high protein diet (previous kidney problems).  Does anyone know if the paleo diet is something I could still do? (With a moderate protein intake?)

Yes, you'll focus more on vegetables and allow yourself plenty of healthy fats to make up the calorie difference. 

And .... here's a breakdown of different types of activities you can do:

2013-10-16-fitnesspersonality.png

Find something fun that you'll look forward to doing.  I found karate by accident and happily sweated away 60 pounds. 

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

The basic jist of paleo doesn't mean eating 5 lbs of burgers a day- that's what false advertising does to smear paleo. The rough average is 1 gram of protein per lean body weight. So whatever your target # weight is; that is your rough protein goal.  Again; I still have a little less and instead bump up vegetables and healthy fat (olives, cashews, avocado, cooking with olive oil, etc) like CTJ said.