Forums are back in action! ×

Where I've been:

Fitness - I was never athletic as a child. As an adult, I dabbled in fitness without much success until I found pole fitness. Y'all, I loved pole. I bought a pole for my house. I entered a local competition, pole danced on stage in front of hundreds of people, and won a medal! Aaaand then I got injured. I sprained my right pec muscles. This was nearly two years ago. I've re-injured my pecs twice, become disillusioned and quit rehab, and my muscles are still not back to normal. I definitely let my injury get the best of me.

Nutrition - I'm a vegetarian. I've done quite a bit of weight watchers and calorie counting over the years, and it has worked for me. My weight has always been normal and fairly consistent. I have gotten frustrated at times with all the counting and having to be so focused on food. My body fat percentage has always been high, despite having a fairly low weight. I need to build some muscle, and I'll bet once I have more muscle, I can afford a few more calories than I can afford at my current fitness level.

Where I am:

Fitness - I've been doing Zuzka Light bodyweight workouts with my husband a few times a week, modified to take it nice and easy on my chest and shoulder. I've been stretching some, but need to do more focused pec stretching and rehab exercises EVERY DAY. My workouts have been light, but fairly consistent.

Nutrition - Lots of cookies. I've been making poor decisions on what and how much to eat. I've been emotional....binging.

Turning point:

I'm going to Hawaii! One week from tomorrow. I'm currently one size up, and can't fit into the jeans I've been wearing for years. I am disappointed in myself. I had imagined myself slinking out of the ocean like a Bond girl in Hawaii. I'd imagined being strong enough to go surfing. I'm disappointed that I made the decisions this year that led me to this point. But, what is done is done. Fitness is a marathon, not a sprint. I'm going to go to Hawaii next week, eat in fancy restaurants, drink quite a few tropical drinks, and raise some hell with my man. I will be doing a lot of 'workouts' in Maui - hiking, snorkeling, horseback riding, and standup paddle boarding. Then once I've enjoyed my vacation to the fullest, I'm going to join the September challenge and begin my Assassin training in earnest.

Where I'm going:

Short term fitness goals - I've never done a cartwheel in my whole life. I'm going to do one. In order to progress to that point, I'm thinking pec rehab, pushups, headstands, then handstands, then THE CARTWHEEL.

Long term fitness goals - TBA. I'm not sure if I'll go back to pole. I want to reduce my body fat percentage to 25%, then I'll see if I'm happy there, or want to push it a little lower.

Life goals - We're planning to try to get pregnant next year. I want to be super fit when I conceive, have a very healthy pregnancy, then lose the baby weight. I'm also feeling very into nesting recently, so I have a lot of goals to get our house in order before we *hopefully* welcome our son or daughter home.

Nerd cred:

I can't forget to mention why I chose Nerd Fitness! TV: I'm into Star Trek & Battlestar Gallactica & Orphan Black. I play a ton of board games - my favorites are 7 Wonders, Dominion, Battlestar & Shadowhunters. My husband and I have recently been getting really into Game Of Thrones LCG. He's focusing on Martell, and I'm Targaryen. I also love reading - novels, classics, Twain, Vonnegut, and books on nutrition.

I'm glad to be here with y'all. Good luck to everyone on their fitness journeys!

• Like 2

Marla Singer

Level 1 Goblin

Wannabe Assassin

Battle Log

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 0 | CHA 1

Hey Marla,

I'm a noob too. I'm looking forward the September challenges!

I really admire the focussed goals you have set yourself. I have no doubt you are going to be in great shape when you being your journey into parenthood!

I empathize with your injury issues. I tore my right Achilles tendon through enthusiastically overtraining for a marathon I never managed to compete in a few years ago and it still flares up from time to time.

My boyfriend adores Orphan Black and keeps trying to convince me to get into it. But there just aren't enough hours in the day for work, becoming fit and all the TV I want to watch.

Have an amazing time in Hawaii!

Amnesiac

• Like 1

• Class: Timelord

Profession: Adventurer

Gallifrey falls, no more!

Oh man, great username.  One of my favorite movies!  "You met me at a very strange time in my life.."

Welcome!!  It's so cool you've done pole before - there are classes right up the street from me that I'm SUPER interested in, but I'm also gently poor right now due to upcoming traveling, so maybe eventually... 

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Hey, hope Hawaii was fun! Sounds like you've got a good attitude about things. It certainly sucks when you realize you aren't where you want to be, but it sounds like you've owned up and decided to fix that. Maybe another trip to Hawaii in the future as a reward?

If you get to where you can do a handstand, then you can definitely do a cartwheel. I could never hold a good handstand even in my best shape, but cartwheels were easier for me because you're only on your hands for a second. Good luck with that!

FunshineBear - Battle Log!!!

Level 0 Temporarily Orc...

Aspiring Ranger

[No stats to speak of yet]

Current Challenge

Whoso would be a man, must be a nonconformist.
He who would gather immortal palms must not be hindered by the name of goodness, but must explore it if it be goodness.
Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind. - R.W. Emerson

Hey Marla,

Just wanted to wish you good luck with your new path to becoming an assassin and also kudos for the game choices! 7 wonders and Dominion are fantastic games. If you like deck builders can I recommend you check out Arctic Scavengers by Rio Grande games. It's a deck builder in a frozen post apocalyptic world. You hire people to your tribe (buying cards as in dominion) but the thing I like about the game which is a little different is that at the beginning of each round the 1st player gets to look at contested resource deck and then at the end of the round everyone puts in a bid for that resources using what is left in your hand from any purchases. It's nice to see a deck builder that let's you interact with other players for once. Anyway this isn't a board game forum so I'll stop there  :playful: .

Once again good luck on your road to the forbidden skills of the Assassin and I hope you have a awesome time in Hawaii!

• Like 1