Forums are back in action! ×

Beard appreciation thread

So I was asked if we could do our beard fundraiser in October and give the money to Employee party funds instead of men's health...

I really had to bite my tongue to remain professional. 

Apparently someone is missing the point of it all...

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

So I was asked if we could do our beard fundraiser in October and give the money to Employee party funds instead of men's health...

Apparently someone is missing the point of it all...

right? Can't believe someone would ask "Can we divert some money from cancer research toward cake and punch?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Sure... and the money we raise in October can go there too.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Sure... and the money we raise in October can go there too.

This.

And then do this in their faces to show you mean business...

giphy.gif

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

So I ordered some honest Amish balm to try.  Should have looked and ended up with heavy duty which may be more than I need but we shall see.

In at least partial defense of the issue at work, we work for a state agency and doing something in October is easier because it is the month they push fundraising.  So then it would be easier with red tape. 

• Like 2

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

Balm is a life-saver.  More than anything it softens those wiry bristles and helps moisturize the skin beneath.  It eliminated almost all of the seasonal itches, and really upped my beard game!

I am hoping that the softening will help with control of some of independent spirits among my facial hair.   I have noticed some improvement since I started using conditioner.  At this point I ma still using a cheap plastic bristled brush, but this is honestly the first time I have put in more effort than bar soap washing and once a day running a comb through it.

I use one of those boar bristle brushes and they're the bomb for beard hair.

• Like 2

And I may get one eventually, mine's really just coming in and IDK how long the Mrs. will tolerate.  Boar Bristle is $15 or more typically and mine was $2.  I am a cheap cheap bastard.

Fair enough.  I've had mine for ages.  So long that I'm not even sure where I picked it up from, although I know I've had since before I was even considering growing a beard...

So I ordered some honest Amish balm to try.  Should have looked and ended up with heavy duty which may be more than I need but we shall see.

I've been using the Honest Amish leave-in conditioner for a few weeks now and have been pretty happy with it. Would certainly be interested to know how the balm works out!

Balm is a life-saver.  More than anything it softens those wiry bristles and helps moisturize the skin beneath.  It eliminated almost all of the seasonal itches, and really upped my beard game!

I presently use the Honest Amish Heavy Duty Beard Balm.

If your beard is only 1-2 months of growth..this is overkill for you, their regular balm is fine.

If your beard is more than that..get this.  I just passed my first year, this is the balm I use, a little bit goes a long way and makes a huge difference.

As mentioned in prior posts, a boar hair bristle brush makes a big difference too.  My biggest tip, when using one with the balm..be sure to brush against the grain, it helps get the balm to areas that are often neglected.

Only other tip, and it's something I did today:

Do an Apple Cider Vinegar bath..just work it into your beard with your hands, little warm water helps.  I prefer to do it in the shower (can apply it to hair as well)..it helps strip out any impurities..including any leftover product.

Rinse.

Dry.

Then if you want to go the extra mile:

Apply some coconut oil to the beard, again work it in, and let it sit 1-2 hours before washing it out.

Like I said, I did this today, and it makes ALL the difference for the beard.  If you want to do a beard right, pamper yourself on occasion.

• Like 2

I meant to get regular.  I put it in my amazon cart in a hurry when my wife wanted to make an order.  I'm just hoping it doesn't make it too stiff.  My beard is on the previous page spray painted pink.  I thought about trying an oil at some point.  Seems like coconut, argan or jojoba are all popular choices.  

• Like 1

Apply some coconut oil to the beard, again work it in, and let it sit 1-2 hours before washing it out.

Like I said, I did this today, and it makes ALL the difference for the beard.  If you want to do a beard right, pamper yourself on occasion.

Seems like coconut, argan or jojoba are all popular choices.  

My current balm has coconut oil in it, and when I use conditioner it has Moroccan oil.  Between the lovely smell and the luxurious feeling of my facial follicles, I cannot praise these enough.

• Like 2

Tried the balm.  First application but I guess I was hoping for a bit more hold or taming.  Perhaps that comes with time. The very curly hair of my sideburns runs wild and is why I typically just trim the sideburns and only grow the center any length.

Looking through phone pics I found pics of my last shave 7-19, so I guess I actually am a hair past the two month mark.  In the past I have not let my beard really thicken for winter until November or so but this year I think it's gonna get a little fuller.  The Mrs is already complaining about it though. 

I do not understand women who don't like beards. I love beards. 

(My boyfriend doesn't understand why I like beards either, as he doesn't particularly like having one, but he lets his face get stubbly for me  :love_heart: )

Speaking of loving beards, I am greatly appreciative of this thread. Thank you all for sharing your magnificent facial hair. 

• Like 4

My wife likes my beard just very short.  She also complains when I am clean shaven. 

A coworker and I talked about me making beard oil or balm and she brought me in about 30 bottles of essential oils and a couple oz of coconut oil (but it is clear and liquid at room temp).  Granted, some of them are mixes and I don't see myself putting "PMS relief" in my beard.  But a lot of cool odors to play with.  She said she had some shea butter and beeswax for me to try as well so I may make an oil now and a balm later.