Forums are back in action! ×

Do you rest when you are sick?

It's one of those "see how you feel" things.  In general though, you can still work out with a cold.  You may not have the energy/coordination to do as much volume, but you should still be able to make it through some good sets.

Don't work out if you have a fever, though.  And if your stomach hurts, it's probably best not to aggravate it further.

• Like 1

I am coming down with a cold (bit achy, congested nose, sore through, headache etc.) and I was wondering if I should keep with my workout and push through or is it best to adjust it? What should I do? Should I exercise and eat the same or change anything?

I have faced the same question myself when I had the flu, and to be honest, I HAD to take a break for several days. First because I had no energy to spare, then the force (is that the right term?) to lift would have compromised my um- personal cleanliness- shall we say? And then the recovery period was no laughing matter, either. The big downside is that getting back to it was difficult, and I ended up having to drop some weight on a couple lifts.

Dedication is one thing, straight-up suffering is quite another.

I always heard if you have any symptoms below the neck (e.g. fever, muscle aches, whatever) take it easy and drink plenty of water. but if you only have symptoms above the neck (runny nose, dull headache etc.) you're good to go. In my (anecdotal and totally unscientific) experience, exerting yourself when you have a fever is a great way to ensure it takes you twice as long to get better.

• Like 1

All or something. All or something. *deep breath* All ? or ? something ?

The main thing is to listen to your body.  If you're legitimately fighting off a disease (such as the flu), it would be best to take a few days off and let your body devote itself to healing.  If it's minor stuff such as seasonal allergies, you're probably okay to work out.

Also environment is a factor as well.  If you work out in a gym, it's not a good idea to work out there if there's a chance you might be contagious.  Stay home.

Level 2 Mutant Druid

"No! Pillage, then burn! It's really hard to do it in reverse!"

I've had the same thought recently as well. I started coming down with a cold last week. As my body was quite weak (making breakfast was too difficult) I decided some rest was in order. Feeling a bit better now but have a cough that won't go so I decided to stay at home and do some bodyweight exercises. I didn't fancy going to the gym and needing to cough mid-squat or something.

Current Challenge

Previous challenges:7, 6 5, 4,  3. 2, 1

I am the one thing in life I can control

And make others sick at your gym? Bet they'll love you for that. ...I personally? find a cold is one thing -  a flu is another. And i really hate the amount of people who label every sniffle a flu. Colds can be quite nasty in and of themselves...But that's off topic. If you're going to make others sick, i wouldn't go. If its yourself in your home gym, and you feel up to it, i'd say go at it. If you don't, listen to your body and sleep. And hydrate.

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60953-challenge-1-take-2/

Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60532-battlelog-no-excuses/#entry1384657

"That which does not kill me had better run like hell as I'm coming for it"