Forums are back in action! ×

Hurt myself at teh gym, wanted to cry.

so, Last night, it was a little late after tee ball, dinner, work, etc, but I just had to go tho the gym; I skipped 4 days last week instead of 2, so i'm behind on my schedule, and I absolutely must have a rest day between workouts on this plan. Squats were ok, I started to stall on bench, gritted my teeth and got through it. then Rows.............rows. I was great up until the literal last set/ rep. I started to stall, and started to swing the weight up instead of pulling. well, at #5, I felt a pinch, missed the rep, and was immediately in pain. I almost broke down right there. It was overwhelming. 

I have had ongoing back issues for a looooooong time- the same exact issue I am in pain with right now. I used RDLs as rehab, but never over 180. I would Row, but only in specific positions.

2 weeks ago, I was concerned that hypers were hurting my back, but I took it easy and was fine up until last night. 

My frustration is not based in not being able to do the weight-It's that I know that I've been really careful, and still, I got hurt being careless. Plus, I'm 40. 

Being 40 lets me know that I'm now past a point that I could have reached that peak performance my body was ever capable of-my 20s and early 30s were mostly no exercise, bunch of smoking, eating like crap. Now, especially if I'm going to be plagued by injury, I am so angry that I let this much of my life pass before I tried to get in better shape. I feel that i missed my opportunity to see what I could have been. I have never been in good shape-I have been in varying degrees of strong or capable, but I've never been able to look, and say, man, I look good naked. 

I don't know how this will affect me this week, and I'm anxious about recovery in general. I'm nervous that my age is messing with me. I'm unhappy that I would let myself get hurt when I knew I was going to miss the lift, and I should have let it go.   

• Like 1

I realize I have an unhealthy attachment to my jump rope.

TRX opened my eyes to new levels of discomfort.

Frustrating as hell, I know. Take it as a learning experience for next time, rehab it up, and come back stronger. Form your description, it sounds like a strained/sprained muscle, is that correct?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Deep breath dude.  If only we knew then what we knew now - but all we can do is learn and live better with what we have to work with.

I'm 45 so I hear you. Every so often I have to remind myself that the mind is willing but the body... not so much! 

I totally understand your frustration but it is what it is. You can't re-live the past but you can take your time to heal and come back determined but cautious and make the

best of where you are now. Most importantly, don't give up!

Also 40 is the new 30 so bollocks to it!!  :nevreness:  Let us know how you get on!

the mind is willing but the body... not so much! 

You bite your tongue!!  The body can do it if you think you can do it.  Check out this guy who broke records at 91 freakin years old!  And he didn't even start lifting until he was 60.  Don't sell yourself short.  The body is capable of far more than the mind gives it credit for.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Age is really just a number.

My boss, who rock climbs, saw on his way back down the mountain bunch of old ladies (Mennonites), including the oldest in wheelchair basically running through like it was no big deal.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

Age is really just a number.

My boss, who rock climbs, saw on his way back down the mountain bunch of old ladies (Mennonites), including the oldest in wheelchair basically running through like it was no big deal.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

Right with you there.  I'm 44, dealing with some chronic injuries that are taking forever to heal up.  I'm trying very hard not to add to that list, which means that there are some exercises that I simply cannot do.  I borked my QLs this past summer trying to do cable pulls; my doc put me on a course of prescription NSAIDs and muscle relaxers that got them loosened up.  Guess what exercise I don't do anymore?

You do what you can with what you have.  I occasionally go down the path of 'man, I wish I'd done this 20 years ago', but that way lies midlife crisis, madness, and tacky sportscars. 

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson