Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings from The Dark Tower

I found Nerd Fitness while looking up "what to do if you're too fat for pull-ups". It's embarrassing, but true, and if I'm going to get real about being a better me- I need to be real about what got me here.

My name is Beam. I'm a nerd- a true "reading-Wheel-of-Time-while-Playing-D-&-D" nerd. I'm also a stay at home mom, a full-time college student, wife to an amazing man, and lover of all things RPG. I'm also over-weight. Nay, I'm fat. And, recently I've noticed just how fat I've gotten. To be blunt, it's not pretty. And neither am I. I've stopped being hit on when I'm out in public, I no longer feel attractive for my husband, and playing with my adorable 4 year old feels like a chore. It's time for change. And, I don't mean thinking about it, either. I mean implementing it. It's time to walk into Mordor.

I've been this way, nerdism and fatness, since I can remember. It started as a defense mechanism, and ended up with me, 27, sitting on the couch searching for fat-people-pull-ups. But, I'm okay with that. Because, it stops here. For 53 days now, I've not touched a cigarette, of which I was smoking almost a full pack a day. For 53 days I've noticed I am stronger than I let myself believe. If I can kick smoking, I can be strong elsewhere. I. Can. Be. Strong.

So, my quest?

Main: In 6 months, before my 28th, I want to be NOTICEABLY stronger and healthier- I want to be in single digit jeans, and under 180lbs (preferably WELL under).

Quest 1: Edit all sugar intake. No more processed. No more sugar-added with names I don't recognize. Eventually, I don't want sugar at all.

Quest 2: Lift. I want to do at least 1 full-pull up, 100lbs dead lift.

Quest 3: Stamina. I want to be able to keep up with my son, and run in the Color Me Rad next June.

I have an excersize plan, I cleaned out my fridge tonight, and I'm ready. Thank you for having me here.

• Like 2

Gunslinger in Training

Battle Log

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"

Damn that was a lot of nerd cred dropped. Great to have you. Those are some solid goals. Remember, fitness and performance is reached by exercising. Weight loss is reached with diet control like eating clean and controlling portions and overall calories. Too often we lump them into one, thinking we'll lose weight just by working out, or that we'll get fit just by losing weight. They'remore seperate than tehy are intertwined.

Welcome to our Ka-Tet.

• Like 3

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Well long days and pleasant nights to you, sai Beam. Sounds to me like you've had a couple of mishaps in the past, but you have not forgotten the face of your father. 

I think you have well defined goals, and enough motivation to do them. I think you are on the right path, and I'm sure you'll be able to do it.

But I feel like I've got to point out that your Ka is not to walk to Mordor, for that place contains the wrong tower... or maybe that is the same tower under a different name? afterall Barad-ur also means dark tower, doesn't it?

• Like 3

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

As you can probably tell, I am a fan of Mr King's work. And I absolutely adore The Dark Tower saga. I re-read them at least 2 times a year... especially The drawing of the three, which is my favourite.

So, making any progress on your quest?

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

hey girl... we have a foodz PvP going on... link in my sig

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I've reread all of them so many times, I can't even count. But, I must admit, it's been a while (time to change that)! I'm currently reading Wheel of Time- and am on the... 7th book?...I don't remember which one, it's not in front of me. But, it's funny, because it reminds me of the Dark Tower Series so much (why, I couldn't tell you- but, I'm honestly going to say, almost everything reminds me of The Dark Tower). There's 14 books in that series, so when I'm done- I'm going to go back to DT, and read it again :)

As for my quest:

I'm actually progressing quite well. It's only been a week, so I haven't weighed myself- but I've noticed slight changes in my body (probably unnoticable to other people). And, I've cut out sugar almost completely; other than a small bag of trail mix I've allowed myself (to curb my crazy sugar cravings- once it's gone that's it), I've not had anything with sugar in it in a week. I've started drinking only water, which I've kept to, but I am pushing to drink more of it.

And, I've been pretty good about my paleo diet. Which I'm actually quite proud of. :)

I have a Battle Log I update every day, which is keeping me honest (I like that). So, hopefully I'll see more gains and more loss (weight).

So far, I believe I'm in line with the beam. If I forget, all I have to do is look up- if the clouds are moving with me, I know I'm on the right course :)

• Like 1

Gunslinger in Training

Battle Log

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"