Forums are back in action! ×

Disc Golf

On August 1, 2016 at 6:12 AM, Dilnad said:

Many people may/will toss out recommendations for what discs you should toss. IGNORE THEM ALL (Mine included). Discgolf is very personal. Each disc works differently for each person. Just because a <Insert disc name> flies perfectly for me uphill into a 12mph headwind doesn't mean it wont turn over horribly for you. Your best bet is to look at the different disc manufacturers websites and see their charts on the flight patterns of each disc and do your best to make an educated guess based on the performance you seem to have playing the game.

I've gone through a ton of discs in 20 ears of playing and I can safely say, no disc makes that big of a difference.

I respectfully disagree with this. I mean, he's right in a way, but people told me this same thing, but Beasts, Destroyers and Wraiths felt good in my hand when I started, but all they would do is go 150ft and dump hard left. I bought a ton of discs for nothing.

The best advice I got was to "Disc down". People told me to start driving with one disc only, either a putter or a midrange, when you can get that to do what it's supposed to, then move up to another disc that's one or two notches higher in speed. It's simplified my bag, I throw forehand and backhand and I only carry 8 different molds. Use a flight chart to see how far a disc is supposed to go and how it should fly (I use http://www.flightanalyzer.com). 

If you're trying to gain distance, it's all about form. That's why I can't throw a speed 14 driver more than 250ft, but a pro like Simon Lizzote can throw a Speed 2 putter 400-500ft.

i don't know what you are throwing and how far you are throwing, but good drivers to start with are fairway drivers like the Dynamic Discs Witness, the Discraft Glide, the Lat 64 Diamond and especially the Innova Leopard (my favorite disc). Once you can crank those out about 300ft, move up a notch or two in disc speed. And make sure the discs are understable. It takes a lot of spin/power to throw an over stable disc.

And my home course is on a parkway, so I know all about throwing into the treeline. Half the course is trees on one side, a busy road on the other, and about 35-50ft of grass in between. I went through a period where I threw it into the street, and I went through a period of throwing into the treeline. Now I look at the basket, an obstacle or a patch of grass in the fairway, I tell myself "I'm going to hit that", I focus with confidence and now 19/20 times I hit fairway. Never think about hitting something you don't want to hit, especially trees and water.

sorry this is so long winded lol

• Like 1

Bruce Wayne: I'm not afraid. I'm angry.

Big Remy

Level 2 Adventurer

STR/ DEX/ STA/ CON/ WIS/ CHA

5.5 / 2.0/ 2.25/ 8.0/ 2.0/ 1.0

First Challenge-

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/37558-ready-to-rock/

40 minutes ago, BigRemy said:

I respectfully disagree with this. I mean, he's right in a way, but people told me this same thing, but Beasts, Destroyers and Wraiths felt good in my hand when I started, but all they would do is go 150ft and dump hard left. I bought a ton of discs for nothing.

The best advice I got was to "Disc down". People told me to start driving with one disc only, either a putter or a midrange, when you can get that to do what it's supposed to, then move up to another disc that's one or two notches higher in speed. It's simplified my bag, I throw forehand and backhand and I only carry 8 different molds. Use a flight chart to see how far a disc is supposed to go and how it should fly (I use http://www.flightanalyzer.com). 

If you're trying to gain distance, it's all about form. That's why I can't throw a speed 14 driver more than 250ft, but a pro like Simon Lizzote can throw a Speed 2 putter 400-500ft.

i don't know what you are throwing and how far you are throwing, but good drivers to start with are fairway drivers like the Dynamic Discs Witness, the Discraft Glide, the Lat 64 Diamond and especially the Innova Leopard (my favorite disc). Once you can crank those out about 300ft, move up a notch or two in disc speed. And make sure the discs are understable. It takes a lot of spin/power to throw an over stable disc.

And my home course is on a parkway, so I know all about throwing into the treeline. Half the course is trees on one side, a busy road on the other, and about 35-50ft of grass in between. I went through a period where I threw it into the street, and I went through a period of throwing into the treeline. Now I look at the basket, an obstacle or a patch of grass in the fairway, I tell myself "I'm going to hit that", I focus with confidence and now 19/20 times I hit fairway. Never think about hitting something you don't want to hit, especially trees and water.

Thank you. :)

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

12 hours ago, BigRemy said:

I'm going to say we just have to agree to disagree. There can be multiple schools of thought. I'll still maintain, you can have a 3000 dollar bag of of Ping clubs and Tiger Woods is still going to kick your ass with nothing but a Wilson 7 iron from Walmart. It's about the practice, not the gear :)

Either way OP. I think we both agreed that practice is the key, even if we disagree on gear.

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

9 hours ago, Dilnad said:

I'm going to say we just have to agree to disagree. There can be multiple schools of thought. I'll still maintain, you can have a 3000 dollar bag of of Ping clubs and Tiger Woods is still going to kick your ass with nothing but a Wilson 7 iron from Walmart. It's about the practice, not the gear :)

Either way OP. I think we both agreed that practice is the key, even if we disagree on gear.

Totally agree to disagree. That's ball golf, not disc golf. While there isn't a disc that will magically gain you 100ft, some discs are better suited for advanced or expert players, and some are better suited for beginners or casual players that lack the arm speed.

and Walmart also makes Franklin discs, which are garbage. No one can throw those discs. It isn't 20 years ago, the market is saturated with choices and people need a guiding light so they don't spend $300 on drivers before they find something that suits their arm speed, much like I did.

Big Remy

Level 2 Adventurer

First Challenge-

On 8/5/2016 at 4:12 PM, BigRemy said:

It isn't 20 years ago, the market is saturated with choices and people need a guiding light so they don't spend $300 on drivers before they find something that suits their arm speed, much like I did.

FWIW my bag is full of new plastic. The ONLY legacy disc I own is a 171 gram X-Clone because it's still one of the best discs I've ever put into a headwind (Although my Surge is pretty nice) and Discraft dropped the design long ago. many of today's discs are 20 year old designs on new plastic(much greater durability). I note that because you implied (or so it seemed ) that I may be basing everything I say on antiquated information. All my discs are long since replaced because Discraft is practically non existent in this town. I've had to learn to toss Innova. ( We have a little Lat 64 and Millenium around too but are primarily an Innova town)

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

On 1/5/2015 at 8:47 AM, PinkNinja said:

I have played, and helped develop a couple of courses for some parks. We're considering a disc golf course at my park as well. The problem here is that we are on a mountain. Most of the clear areas are near cliffs. The mountains in our area have sporadic
Frisbee + wind+ cliff = ....

So now I work at a new park. There are no cliffs. :) We're in the process of planning a course right now. I'm super excited. :D We've also recruited some players in the area with portable baskets to go to schools and start recruiting some young 'uns! :=

It's now the official past time of my guy group. We play mostly heavily wooded courses, it's rare to be walking on grass for us, just because that's what's available.

I'm looking to upgrade from what I started with. Think I currently have this Wraith Driver, and I know I have this Innova 3 disc starter pack. Mine are all different colors than that, but I doubt it matters. Only have those 4 as I just bought the starter pack to make sure I liked the game.

My backhand drive is pretty darned straight, but dives hard left (I'm righty) at the end, so I really have to take it hard down the right side of the fairway. My forehand  I need to get more consistent with, but am generally happy with the low flight and much less subtle rightward drop at the end when compered to my backhand.

Any advice based on the above as to what I should upgrade to? Looking for stuff to put on the christmas list.

Also, any advice on good sources/youtube channels for learning technique? That's the biggest thing in any sport. My buddy has this awesome drive where it does the normal opposite hand curve 2/3 of the way through the flight, then near the end banks back the other way. Flies forever, would love to learn how to do it.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

12 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

It's now the official past time of my guy group. We play mostly heavily wooded courses, it's rare to be walking on grass for us, just because that's what's available.

I'm looking to upgrade from what I started with. Think I currently have this Wraith Driver, and I know I have this Innova 3 disc starter pack. Mine are all different colors than that, but I doubt it matters. Only have those 4 as I just bought the starter pack to make sure I liked the game.

My backhand drive is pretty darned straight, but dives hard left (I'm righty) at the end, so I really have to take it hard down the right side of the fairway. My forehand  I need to get more consistent with, but am generally happy with the low flight and much less subtle rightward drop at the end when compered to my backhand.

Any advice based on the above as to what I should upgrade to? Looking for stuff to put on the christmas list.

Also, any advice on good sources/youtube channels for learning technique? That's the biggest thing in any sport. My buddy has this awesome drive where it does the normal opposite hand curve 2/3 of the way through the flight, then near the end banks back the other way. Flies forever, would love to learn how to do it.

As far as upgrades, the best advice I could give to you is if the discs you are using work good for you, get more of those, maybe in a more durable plastic if you only have DX. I like Champion plastic and GStar if the temps are low, but it all depends on feel. Every hit a DX disc takes alters the disc; those effects are minimized with a premium plastic.

I play a lot of heavily wooded courses here in southeastern WI so I tend to play with more fairway drivers than distance drivers like the Wraith. Fairway Drivers are the perfect mix of midranges and distance drivers. The Leopard is my favorite disc out of any, but I've used the Dynamic Discs Witness and the Leopard3 and liked them as well.

If you really want to learn the forehand drive, you should try something a little more stable. My forehand started improving when I used an Innova Teebird, which is pretty much a more stable Leopard. But everyone is totally different, so if your buddies have discs you don't have you should ask if you can let them rip for a hole or two and see if you like them.

As far as tutorials on YouTube, I've watched and tried them all with little to no luck. It's best to play with someone with more experience to watch and give you tips or film yourself and post to the Disc Golf Answer Man Facebook page. But my big breakthrough was watching pro rounds on YouTube. I was watching 3x World Champ Nate Doss, and I noticed a weird tilt he had on his reach back. I tried it out my next round and found myself shooting straight with more distance. I had been watching clinics with players like Will Shusterick, who has a totally different body type and is more explosive than I am instead of Doss, who has a similar body type and a slower, more deliberate drive like myself. I looked for clinics with him and couldn't find any. Instead I found a video of him driving in slow motion and it changed my game. I studied every motion, every tick and tried to incorporate it. Some things worked, some things didn't but now I find myself watching slo mo videos all the time and pulling a little here and a little there.

Big Remy

Level 2 Adventurer

First Challenge-

By stability, we're talking about how much it banks, right? Less stability, more bank at the end. More stability, more straight path?

If so, my forehand is fine once airborne as long as I release in the right direction, stability doesn't seem to be an issue, I just need practice to make it take off in the direction I want. It also probably comes down to a grip adjustment as the main issue is it leaves my hand sooner than intended and starts off too far right because of it. I'm used to throwing ultimate discs, so the fact that golf discs have a different lip makes the forehand pretty heavily effected. When I get the direction right, it flies exactly as I predict it will most of the time. Just need to play with it more.

I'm more looking for a disc or technique to take that hard curve off the backhand. My backhand drive is longer, but that curve is detrimental much of the time. Sure, I want it in my toolbag to add the curve on command, but also want to have a dead straight drive there too. The two things I can change are technique, and adding additional discs.

Thanks for the tips on the videos, watching someone similar to yourself physically and style wise makes a lot of sense.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

2 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

By stability, we're talking about how much it banks, right? Less stability, more bank at the end. More stability, more straight path?

If so, my forehand is fine once airborne as long as I release in the right direction, stability doesn't seem to be an issue, I just need practice to make it take off in the direction I want. It also probably comes down to a grip adjustment as the main issue is it leaves my hand sooner than intended and starts off too far right because of it. I'm used to throwing ultimate discs, so the fact that golf discs have a different lip makes the forehand pretty heavily effected. When I get the direction right, it flies exactly as I predict it will most of the time. Just need to play with it more.

I'm more looking for a disc or technique to take that hard curve off the backhand. My backhand drive is longer, but that curve is detrimental much of the time. Sure, I want it in my toolbag to add the curve on command, but also want to have a dead straight drive there too. The two things I can change are technique, and adding additional discs.

Thanks for the tips on the videos, watching someone similar to yourself physically and style wise makes a lot of sense.

Yes more stability could mean a straighter flight that banks at the end, but it all depends on arm power and snap. If you have little arm power, an overstable disc probably won't work for you on a backhand. Forehand is a different story, for most people I'd say it's easier to generate torque, thus having a need for a more stable disc. But even if you're driving 300-350ft backhand with your Wraith, it might be time to start playing with slower, more stable discs and learn more shot shaping. Again though, you have to do what's comfortable and those discs you already throw well, keep throwing them too.

I can also tell you that if you forehand an understable disc like a Wraith or a Leopard with your right hand, chances are you'll make an s-curve, which means your disc will always curve right, then curve left and finish curving slightly righty, making an s-shape in the sky. A more stable disc would go dead straight out of your hand and fade out left at the end of the flight.

If you want to try this, try a forehand drive with your putter. I'm pretty sure you got an Aviar with that set? It has a pretty straight flight and should mimic what an overstable driver would do, only a lot shorter with a lot less banking at the end.

Putter only rounds are a good way to get good quick. Make every shot with your putter and it'll expose all your weaknesses.

I'm not sure of that curve you're talking about is the s-curve or the dumping out at the end. Like I said, if you are throwing a backhand with enough power, I would try something a little slower in speed but more stable; discs like the Innova TeeBird or TeeBird3, the Dynamic Discs Veteran or the Westside Stag, maybe a Saint Pro. If you can throw those over 300ft and straight with a slight left curve at the end of the flight, you're throwing it pretty well and you should be able to throw faster/more stable discs.

I'm guessing this is more of a disc selection problem, but if it's more technique the three best tips I got was to slow down on my run up, reach back as far as I can and pinch the disc hard between my thumb and index finger and let the disc rip out my hand. Videos and articles on different grips can be very beneficial.

Big Remy

Level 2 Adventurer

First Challenge-

thanks for all the tips!

500 / 330 / 625

I have to disagree with this.  The more stable or "overstable" a disc is the more it banks at the end of a shot(All discs bank at the end from gyroscopic procession). The more understable a disc is the more it tends to "Turn over"(Bank the opposite way) at the start of the flight. An understable disc will take more of a "S" flight thus landing more directly on target. It is generally recommended that a newer player use a less stable driver to get a generally straighter flight.  Pros tend to use more overstable discs because of their hard backhand throws can naturally overspin and turn the disc over to get that S flight. They also tend to anhyzer(hyzer and anhyzer are more advanced angling of the discs) their shots . If a newer player want's a straighter flight, a slightly understable disc is probably the best choice for a back handed throw. I'd take a look at a Monarch. Also, I'd use the more overstable discs for into the shots. They handle wind better.

2 hours ago, Dilnad said:

I have to disagree with this.  The more stable or "overstable" a disc is the more it banks at the end of a shot(All discs bank at the end from gyroscopic procession). The more understable a disc is the more it tends to "Turn over"(Bank the opposite way) at the start of the flight. An understable disc will take more of a "S" flight thus landing more directly on target. It is generally recommended that a newer player use a less stable driver to get a generally straighter flight.  Pros tend to use more overstable discs because of their hard backhand throws can naturally overspin and turn the disc over to get that S flight. They also tend to anhyzer(hyzer and anhyzer are more advanced angling of the discs) their shots . If a newer player want's a straighter flight, a slightly understable disc is probably the best choice for a back handed throw. I'd take a look at a Monarch. Also, I'd use the more overstable discs for into the shots. They handle wind better.

Teebird to try a stable disc, Monarch to try an understable disc, and another Leopard since it works fairly well for me already all added to my wish list. Thanks guys!

Any other suggestions for for specific discs to try out based on what I have?

500 / 330 / 625

1 hour ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Teebird to try a stable disc, Monarch to try an understable disc, and another Leopard since it works fairly well for me already all added to my wish list. Thanks guys!

Any other suggestions for for specific discs to try out based on what I have?

For no specific reason other than it's my favorite disc, the Discraft Buzz is the straightest flying, friendliest most accurate midrange disc I've personally ever tossed but discs are highly personal. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you. Also, if you bought an Innova 3 disc pack, you probably have a Shark which is another ridiculously predictable, friendly midrange disc so a Buzz may be a redundant purchase if you aren't yet to the point of building your frivolous disc purchasing collection.

1 hour ago, Dilnad said:

For no specific reason other than it's my favorite disc, the Discraft Buzz is the straightest flying, friendliest most accurate midrange disc I've personally ever tossed but discs are highly personal. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you. Also, if you bought an Innova 3 disc pack, you probably have a Shark which is another ridiculously predictable, friendly midrange disc so a Buzz may be a redundant purchase if you aren't yet to the point of building your frivolous disc purchasing collection.

I will absolutely second this as I carry two variations of the Buzzz in my bag at all times, a Z Buzzz for backhands and a Ti Buzzz for forehands. I've tried just about every other popular midrange, including the Truth, the Roc and the Shark amongst others and nothing comes close to the Buzzz. That's money well spent.

Big Remy

Level 2 Adventurer

First Challenge-

2 hours ago, Dilnad said:

33 minutes ago, BigRemy said:

I will absolutely second this as I carry two variations of the Buzzz in my bag at all times, a Z Buzzz for backhands and a Ti Buzzz for forehands. I've tried just about every other popular midrange, including the Truth, the Roc and the Shark amongst others and nothing comes close to the Buzzz. That's money well spent.

I love my shark.

And I'm just reaching that point. i also put a portable basket, bag with room for 6 beers adn 12 discs, and 3 disc golf books on there. Just added a champion shark3, a buzz elite z, and a titanium buzz to the list. Any difference in the shark dx vs champion 3 other than the better materials?

500 / 330 / 625

7 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Any difference in the shark dx vs champion 3 other than the better materials?

Ok, first thing is DX plastic beats up the quickest, and premium plastic like champion, pro, GStar, etc. beat up a little slower. Some people like a more beat up disc and there's also people like me who like to cycle discs in and out of my bag so they don't beat up as fast. It's all a matter of preference, but once I went to premium plastic I stopped losing so many discs from warping after tree hits or getting cuts or gouges in the plastic.

Now if you are talking about getting a Shark3, it'll be a bit different than your normal Shark. Innova's 3 series is pretty much just a faster version of the original discs. You'll see all different ones, Roc3's, Leopard3's, etc. Some people like them, some don't. I like my Leopard3 but I don't like my TeeBird3. 

As as you can see by this thread, you'll get a ton of different info from everyone and you'll always see differing opinions. Always go with what works for you. If you throw that Shark really well, get more Shark's. But always try other discs too. I've had people suggest certain discs that haven't worked for me, but I also have had people suggest discs that I wouldn't think of, like the MVP Anode which I liked so much I made it my main putter.

• Like 1

Big Remy

Level 2 Adventurer

First Challenge-