Forums are back in action! ×

what makes you a nerd?

Guest Snake McClain

I was a geeky jock growing up. Played a lot of sports, but hopefully these things will portray my geek cred in the proper light :-)

• Gamer since Atari 2600 (currently own Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360)
  • Currently only play Eve Online, WoW, and emulators (own an iControlpad for iPhone emulators)
  • I know that FF VI and Chrono Trigger were the ultimate peak in RPG gaming (and I still have the best FF I Chaos fight story of all time)
  • I rank BSG as one of the best Sci Fi shows, but always think "What if?" when it comes to Firefly....Nathan Fillion FTW! Of course, Doctor Who needs a big mention!
  • I have watched Anime since I was a kid.
  • Current geek shows I watch include Chuck, Games of Thrones, The Walking Dead (zombies are geek, right?), The Big Bang Theory, (or just check out http://trakt.tv/user/icedtrip)
  • Was always the child that took apart anything in the house just to see how it worked.
  • Been a computer geek since our family got a Mac Plus. My first modem was 9600 baud, first email address in '92ish, etc.
  • My primary computer is a Hackintosh, portable is a Hackintosh, full size laptop dual boots Linux / Win7, Mac Mini for the media center.
  • Home built Media Server in closet running unRAID and automated TV downloads using Sickbeard.
  • Replaced my 5G iPod (60GB) hard drive with a 240GB drive running Rockbox
  • Love DDR (only reason I keep my hacked Xbox around)
  • Capable of having conversations about pretty much anything geeky or non-geeky (kinda makes me a chameleon geek)

Not sure where to stop :-)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

[*]I rank BSG as one of the best Sci Fi shows, but always think "What if?" when it comes to Firefly....Nathan Fillion FTW! Of course, Doctor Who needs a big mention!

I'd say BSG is one of the best TV shows ever, period =) And yes, what if... Maybe Wash would have made it...

Anyway, geek cred certified! Have you ever watched The Guild?

BILDUNGSROMAN:ROGUE MONK LVL 4

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 8 | CON: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 3Current Challenge | Bildungsroman's Epic Life | Fitocracy | My blog

I'd say BSG is one of the best TV shows ever, period =) And yes, what if... Maybe Wash would have made it...

Anyway, geek cred certified! Have you ever watched The Guild?

True statement on BSG! Much more than just one of the best of Sci Fi! Awe....Wash! The thing that I hate the most about the Firefly series are the completely unanswered questions on Shepard Book...what was his real background?!?

I actually have seen The Guild (Felicia Day FTW too!!), but only the first and maybe second season. I really should pick it back up. It was a lot of fun to watch.

Woot woot on the geek cred! :-)

*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Yeah, there were definitely parts of the ending that made me scream at the TV (mostly, "Kara, WTF?!?"), but there were some awesome moments as well, so it definitely didn't detract from the show as a whole in my eyes.

And I highly recommend this season of the Guild, especially because a certain Cap'n Reynolds makes a guest appearance =)

BILDUNGSROMAN:ROGUE MONK LVL 4

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 8 | CON: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 3Current Challenge | Bildungsroman's Epic Life | Fitocracy | My blog

And I highly recommend this season of the Guild, especially because a certain Cap'n Reynolds makes a guest appearance =)

And you have officially motivated me to go back and pick up where I left off with that statement :-)

Guest guest4729

Some of these are stolen from my intro thread:

*I used to play MMO's 8 hours a day (Oh Conquer Online...how you stole my younger years) and have dabbled here and there in tons of random MMO's

*I'm a huge Firefly fan and have probably seen each episode about 3 times or more

*I love love love Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog and often sing Penny/Dr. Horrible's harmony with my boyfriend

*I love Felicia Day and have seen quite a few episodes of The Guild (could she get any hotter?)

*I love Stargate SG-1 but I have no time to watch it. I've seen probably...two out of ten seasons

*I used to read tons of online webcomics (MegaTokyo, anyone?)

*I used to watch a lot (too much) anime and read a lot of manga

*I used to play a little bit of YuGiOh and Magic: The Gathering (One ex played YGO and showed me how to play, then next one played MTG and showed me how to play as well. I don't play either anymore)

*I had a pre-/post- rapture party with a bunch of /PA/tards that I met on 4chan

Anddd I think the best of them all is that I met my current boyfriend on 4chan and he isn't a total creeper.

Where to start...

D&D 3.0 DM, although I prefer 3.5

I used to stay home on Saturday nights to watch the new Dr. Who episode

coke bottle glasses

Lego NXT

I can't watch more than 5 minutes of any sport with a ball without wandering off, but I get up at 5:00 to watch live feeds of spring cycling classics from Europe.

I was obsessed with MUDS for a while

I've read most of the Star Wars extended universe

I'm preparing for the zombie apocalypse

I was a computer tech at a school for a while, but I ended up pulling cable most of the time

When the internet was new and exciting I was a human robot for an educational site

I teach middle school science

When we go on vacation we take every cave or mine tour that we come across

there's probably more.

Edit: black socks and sandals. Thanks ETF

working through a physics text for fun

my toddler knows what Jedi are

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

*I love Felicia Day and have seen quite a few episodes of The Guild (could she get any hotter?)

If she did it'd be hard to not to get burned. :)

Edit: Upon further reflection, if she was bent pressing 135lbs bar bell that would qualify her for a hotness degree not yet defined.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Guest guest4729

If she did it'd be hard to not to get burned. :)

Edit: Upon further reflection, if she was bent pressing 135lbs bar bell that would qualify her for a hotness degree not yet defined.

Haha, this is true. I feel like she's more of a delicate flower versus a lifter. :P

Guess I'll play too. :)

--I play WoW (and before that I played EQ for five years).

--If there is a sci-fi show, I will likely watch it (forgive me for having yet to actually watch BSG -- I missed the first half of the first season, and wanted to watch it from the beginning -- because I'm *that* kind of a nerd).

--My boyfriend and I originally met at an IRC meet-up.

--I love tabletop RPGs! (My group stopped playing though because our schedules didn't mesh up -- boo to not finishing our Shadowrun campaign). I'm also one to never let other people touch my dice.

--I attend Dragon*Con every year. In costume. (My best to date has to be my Miskatonic University Cheerleader costume -- or as I liked to think of it, the most frightening thing Lovecraft never dreamed of.)

I'm pretty sure I could go on, but I'll stop it here.

Old Battle Log

I'ma go with something along the lines of, say, the last 32+ years of my life! Nerd is the new cool though, so it's all good.

... that and my "wife" is really a pillow with an anime character printed on it!

Seriously though, I'm reading through these replies and thinking "damn, this is a bunch of fun, well-rounded people that I'd like to hang out with MOAR!!!" Lots of common "nerd" interests. Here's my short list:

Past

- two words: model rockets

- kept a large collection of cichlids for a number of years

- have owned a hermit crab

- built lego sets well into teens

Present

- woodworking and leatherworking (exhibit a: I make shaving brushes, exhibit b: if you want to see weird, go to a place where leatherworkers congregate)

- still get a tech-boner everytime Ubuntu gets updated

- play race for the galaxy boardgame (including all expansions) more than once a week

- have a minor boardgame-boner for the 2012 alien artifacts expansion of aforementioned rftg

- fluently use boardgame abbreviations like "rftg"

- laugh at unix jokes

- remember all of the tech specs for every piece of gadgetry I've ever owned. Seriously, ask me about my 1998 computer...

- modify consumer electronics to suit my fancy (software and sometimes even hardware)

... that and my "wife" is really a pillow with an anime character printed on it!

Seriously though, I'm reading through these replies and thinking "damn, this is a bunch of fun, well-rounded people that I'd like to hang out with MOAR!!!" Lots of common "nerd" interests. Here's my short list:

Past

- two words: model rockets

- kept a large collection of cichlids for a number of years

- have owned a hermit crab

- built lego sets well into teens

Present

- woodworking and leatherworking (exhibit a: I make shaving brushes, exhibit b: if you want to see weird, go to a place where leatherworkers congregate)

- still get a tech-boner everytime Ubuntu gets updated

- play race for the galaxy boardgame (including all expansions) more than once a week

- have a minor boardgame-boner for the 2012 alien artifacts expansion of aforementioned rftg

- fluently use boardgame abbreviations like "rftg"

- laugh at unix jokes

- remember all of the tech specs for every piece of gadgetry I've ever owned. Seriously, ask me about my 1998 computer...

- modify consumer electronics to suit my fancy (software and sometimes even hardware)

I like everything in this post. Man, I remember my 1998 computer. I was like "pssh 256Mb harddrive, I'll never need all that space."

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I'm a word-nerd. I love finding the etymology of words, spelling things (though I often make typos), playing word games (AMAZING when I discovered letters and numbers on SBS one night! We now play it every day at my work - a school - with my group of year 2 and 3 kids). I love cross word puzzles, find-a-word, sudoku and all that jazz. My nerdness is definitely all about words.

Somehow at work I've become the IT girl, not sure how it happened - well I am really, I work with teachers (I'm an aide) who don't know how to turn on a computer, so when I come along, with a husband who has been building systems since he was in the womb and has passed his knowledge onto me, I'm some sort of "IT Guru" (the most used term) A term which I vehemently deny.

I also spend too much time on this *points to laptop*

It all started in third grade when my elementary school added a program where you got points for correctly answering questions about books you have read. You could trade those points in for candy and toys. I quickly exhausted all the reading material for 'my level.' So, my teacher loaned (in the end gave, I still have it *sheepish*) me her copy of "Mossflower". I've been hard-core on fantasy novels ever since, which eventually led me to Magic: The Gathering (stopped playing a couple of sets after Ice Age), and joined a friend in the world of MMOs with Asheron's Call. This died off in college when I joined fencing club, and later at another university started LARPing.

Now I've learned basic leatherworking, sewing, and will, as soon as break is over and the anvils in the university's art studio will be silent until the project crush at the end of the semester, begin learning armoring.

I've been working on the pattern for my first piece:

Posted Image