Forums are back in action! ×

This sounds AWESOME!

One thing to throw in, call it experience, call it unwelcomed advice, feel free to disregard it.

My last successful weight loss stint boiled down to one very simple thing, the weight on the scale. This sounds dumb and it'll sound more dumber before I'm done but hear (read) me out.

I've tried doing the "I want to lose weight but not muscle" thing a bunch of times and  I usually lose a couple pounds for a while but I find myself hedging and making excuses that if I'm feeling hungry "I might lose muscle". For me, day-to-day, no-weight-loss-goals, this is totally fine. When I want to lose (and you're talking about significant loss) I had to prescribe my meals and stick to it and my only metric of success was whether the scale went down from one day to another. This is brutal as the scale is unforgiving and sometimes a rotten bastard. 

In the 70 lbs (~32 kgs ) I've lost over time, I've never lost strength due to just weight loss. I lose it to not training or crappy training but I've never dieted it away. If anything, losing the weight has actually made me stronger because I'm not working against myself. But I've used it as an excuse more times than I care to admit to to grab a snack, eat something unprescribed, etc. so, I'm suggesting to you the same, clear  your mind of fears about strength, cut the calories, balance the macros and micros as you see fit and do the lifting. You'll succeed.

If you need a motivation buddy for weightloss, call on me. I'm overdue to shed these final pounds.

• Like 4

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

26 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

This sounds AWESOME!

One thing to throw in, call it experience, call it unwelcomed advice, feel free to disregard it.

My last successful weight loss stint boiled down to one very simple thing, the weight on the scale. This sounds dumb and it'll sound more dumber before I'm done but hear (read) me out.

I've tried doing the "I want to lose weight but not muscle" thing a bunch of times and  I usually lose a couple pounds for a while but I find myself hedging and making excuses that if I'm feeling hungry "I might lose muscle". For me, day-to-day, no-weight-loss-goals, this is totally fine. When I want to lose (and you're talking about significant loss) I had to prescribe my meals and stick to it and my only metric of success was whether the scale went down from one day to another. This is brutal as the scale is unforgiving and sometimes a rotten bastard. 

In the 70 lbs (~32 kgs ) I've lost over time, I've never lost strength due to just weight loss. I lose it to not training or crappy training but I've never dieted it away. If anything, losing the weight has actually made me stronger because I'm not working against myself. But I've used it as an excuse more times than I care to admit to to grab a snack, eat something unprescribed, etc. so, I'm suggesting to you the same, clear  your mind of fears about strength, cut the calories, balance the macros and micros as you see fit and do the lifting. You'll succeed.

If you need a motivation buddy for weightloss, call on me. I'm overdue to shed these final pounds.

Yep, yep and yep!

I have put in the Hypertrophy bit because in my tiny little brain I know chasing big numbers on the bar is going to be somewhat more difficult when eating to lose fat/weight. I really do want to drop the weight, but I also know trying to get down two weight classes is going to be extremely hard mentally and physically, so I need to make it fun, and take stress out. When I get close to my final weight goal I will need to re visit the strength again and begin working with what I have. I am hoping this is the smart thing to do. At least this way I can keep lifting without making mistakes and hopefully avoid injury. Today I was also thinking about after the pretty boy routine, coming back to "the cube", using my numbers from my first time around, kinda like a deload, but not. :)

I definately appreciate the input! I will keep the motivation buddy in mind. Keeping posting here and daily weigh ins and monthly measurements and really using my noggin' about smart eating.

Slow and steady and smart!! 

• Like 3

Wait! What............?

Seven,

I'm with you.  And I have come to a similar conclusion as The Most Loathed.  Daily weigh-ins for me, I think.  That which is assessed will improve.  The scale, despite being demon spawn, is a good metric for me - it may not be forever, but it is now.  I am also giving it my very best shot at continuing to lift heavy while cutting.  I will almost certainly plateau, but losing a chunk of fat HAS to come next for me.  Hopefully the fat that I am carrying will provide enough energy for me to continue to improve, but even if I don't get stronger, I can at least maintain my strength while cutting. 

You got this, Seven.  I'm here for moral support!

• Like 1

~Emerald_Dragonfly

Level 13 Warrior

8 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Seven,

I'm with you.  And I have come to a similar conclusion as The Most Loathed.  Daily weigh-ins for me, I think.  That which is assessed will improve.  The scale, despite being demon spawn, is a good metric for me - it may not be forever, but it is now.  I am also giving it my very best shot at continuing to lift heavy while cutting.  I will almost certainly plateau, but losing a chunk of fat HAS to come next for me.  Hopefully the fat that I am carrying will provide enough energy for me to continue to improve, but even if I don't get stronger, I can at least maintain my strength while cutting. 

You got this, Seven.  I'm here for moral support!

Thank you E_D! Much appreciated.

Wait! What............?

So I dragged my sorry, saggy arse out to the shed and this is what happened:

Madcow Week7 Friday on Sunday 10/07/2016

Warm Up:

All the things! 1x5@40kg hi-bar squats.........can really tell I have not done these in an age!

Squats:

1x5@55kg

1x5@65kg

1x5@80kg

1x5@90kg

1x3@105kg ( woohoo, these felt really tight and to depth, so happy dance was done! )

1x8@80kg

Bench:

1x5@35kg

1x5@40kg

1x5@50kg

1x5@55kg

1x3@65kg (fail, now this was a lesson learned, first rep awesome, second rep couldn't get it past half way, luckily spotter son was there. My weakest, it has left me a tad unhappy.)

1x8@50kg

BOR:

1x5@25kg

1x5@30kg

1x5@40kg

1x5@45kg

1x5@50kg (was only needing to do a set of 3 but you know FTW and do 5 instead!)

1x8@40kg

This turned out to be a productive workout, between sets I swept and moved shit around, rearranged stuff and swept, so my shed looks a little better now. I also cut some foam mats I had found into squares to see if I can lift the bar up to regulation 21cm for our Deadlifts! I hope to get these suckers looking beastly! 

Hungry now so having left overs, pork, beef, chicken and a wee serve of cauliflower cheese! NOM! 

• Like 2

Wait! What............?

Madcow Week8 11/07/2016 Monday

Warm Up:

All the things! 1x5@40kg

Squats:

1x5@55kg

1x5@65kg

1x5@80kg

1x5@90kg

2x3@105kg ( all of these felt really good, everything for my 80's to my 105's, slow, purposeful and to depth. Made the humongous effort of belly breathing, core tightening and leg drive out of the hole! Felt really, really good! )

Bench:

1x5@35kg

1x5@40kg

1x5@50kg

1x5@55kg

2x2@65kg ( alright so my 55's were just pure awesome! Fast and strong and clean with pause on chest, the first set of 65's were done, the second set and I failed the second rep, just no :( )

BOR:

1x5@30kg

1x5@50kg

1x5@60kg

1x3@70kg ( to save time and effort, used the GB's weights she had for he Deadlifts, all pretty comfortable until the 70's phew! They need extra effort! )

Pretty happy about this workout even though I did one yesterday. So rest day, kind of, going to get Son4's GF out into the shed tomorrow, she wants to learn how to squat! WooT :)

• Like 4

Wait! What............?

Just now, Basement Cat said:

it sucks that your hips bothered you that much. Do you feel better today? I hope it's nothing serious.

Well, if you need painkillers to be able to sleep... I'd say it's worthy of some medical attention

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

2 hours ago, Basement Cat said:

it sucks that your hips bothered you that much. Do you feel better today? I hope it's nothing serious.

Much better, they give me grief every now and then, nothing too major. Just seemed last night I could not get a position away from the ache. I guess I am just getting old! ;)

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

Madcow, Week8 Wednesday 13/07/2016

Warm Up:

All the things in the sun! Yes the sun was shining into the shed! This felt awesome considering there was ice in the canary and goats water this morning, we officially reached negatives!

Squats:

1x5@55kg

1x5@65kg

2x5@80kg

OHP:

1x5@25kg

1x5@30kg

1x5@35kg

1x5@40kg ( alright push/pressed the last two, but was concentrating more on trying to keep wrists straight than other stuff. Nope, nope, nope, as soon as I push for lock out, wrists flop back. No issue with wrist pain or anything like that, just trying to be form awesome!)

Deadlift:

1x5@80kg

1x5@95kg

1x5@1kg

3x2@120kg ( really happy with these, using foam matting, got the bar to 21cm off the ground and smashed these out, no squat involved! The but here is my thumbs are hating on me big time! My left shin is missing skin and hair and I have a lovely bruise beginning to show through!!!!, this means my openers are going to be crazy awesome! When I get to do openers! ;) )

Shower and shopping, we have no food in the house............at all! 

• Like 4

Wait! What............?

10 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

OHP:

1x5@25kg

1x5@30kg

1x5@35kg

1x5@40kg ( alright push/pressed the last two, but was concentrating more on trying to keep wrists straight than other stuff. Nope, nope, nope, as soon as I push for lock out, wrists flop back. No issue with wrist pain or anything like that, just trying to be form awesome!)

3x2@120kg ( really happy with these, using foam matting, got the bar to 21cm off the ground and smashed these out, no squat involved! The but here is my thumbs are hating on me big time! My left shin is missing skin and hair and I have a lovely bruise beginning to show through!!!!, this means my openers are going to be crazy awesome! When I get to do openers! ;) )

Shower and shopping, we have no food in the house............at all! 

Where do you place the bar in your hands for OHP?  Maybe a form check?  40 kg is pretty freaking awesome!

But that DL.  Girl...I wants it. 

No food - that's when I rely on the chooks! :-)

• Like 1

~Emerald_Dragonfly

Level 13 Warrior

4 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Where do you place the bar in your hands for OHP?  Maybe a form check?  40 kg is pretty freaking awesome!

But that DL.  Girl...I wants it. 

No food - that's when I rely on the chooks! :-)

The above is my last form check stuff, Pat G, hit it on the head with my OHP. I try and get the bar into the meaty part of the palm and knuckles up, but at the end of the day I do not have a pretty OHP, I think I need to watch @Emerald_Dragonfly form check stuff more.

As for chooks my girls are off the lay! Too cold and they have just began molting, so only an egg here and there at the moment, the little slackers!

18 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Commenting so that this shows up in my feed again. And because canaries and goats. But mostly goats. Okay and squats too. 

We love Kevin! He's awesome. Son7 goes and plays with him and runs his trails and climbs his fallen trees with him. Funny to watch. We did try and put a fit ball in his paddock but he hated it. Yessss GOATS! :)

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

I claim expert status on nothing.  I just really like the OHP.  :-)  

I agree with Pat G's analysis, for what it worth.  I put my hands on the bar at an angle and then tuck my elbows under to get the bar stable and knuckles up before unracking it.  (I think I got that from a Rippetoe video).  So my set up is a bit slower than yours. 

it also emphasizes the cleavage.

not sure if this is a pro or con

• Like 2

~Emerald_Dragonfly

Level 13 Warrior

I claim expert status on nothing.  I just really like the OHP.  :-)  

I agree with Pat G's analysis, for what it worth.  I put my hands on the bar at an angle and then tuck my elbows under to get the bar stable and knuckles up before unracking it.  (I think I got that from a Rippetoe video).  So my set up is a bit slower than yours. 

it also emphasizes the cleavage.

not sure if this is a pro or con

The pro is stronger wrists and more power transfer to the bar and better.shoulder angle. The con is it takes work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker