Forums are back in action! ×

New to The Rebellion

Hi! I'm Clay. I started on my journey in 2013 at 350+ lbs. I sit today at 250, but I'm looking to get down around 200, lean up and get that strength up. I did my first Spartan (Sprint) in Glen Rose Texas last year and got hooked. A lot of my training revolves around Spartan. I do a lot of body weight circuits (still not near as much as I should) but I am looking to get more into weights and get my strength up. I am unable to do pull-ups or dips unassisted at the moment, and I want to change that (That'll really help in Spartan the Walls were by far my weakest obstical, Didn't even attempt the rope). I'm also an avid runner. I've ran multiple 5ks (I'm looking to hit my first 13.1 at Cowtown in March). My proudest running moment came last June at the Joe's Run 5k in Fort Worth where I placed 3rd in my age group! I just moved to my new place in Stephenville, Texas, and I am spending that time focusing on getting my nutrition as clean as humanly possible. I was in a situation where I was having to stay with my parents for the past couple of years, and since junk food is one of my vices it was a tough couple of years. But I pushed through, and I've gotten to where I am today. I'm looking at today as a new start. I've always read the Nerd Fitness blog and I've gotten quite a bit from it. Thought it was the right time to join and get to know some of you! Looking forward to it.

So in summary:

Goals:

Get better at lifting and increase my strength

Run a 13.1

Spartan Trifecta

Cleaning up my diet hardcore.

Also, this is a longshot, but if any of you live in Stephenville (Texas gotta say Texas), it'd be dope to meet up and get some workouts in. I've never really had a workout buddy, so it'd be a welcome addition.

Hi Calford

And welcome!

What a great inspirational story you have there, you have completed some of the goals I hope to achieve, (really want to do a Spartan!) and I hope to do dips and pull-ups unassisted at some point too.

Hope you don't mind the follow as you have already achieved so much and I look forward to reading more of your journey.

All the best to you!

• Like 1

Level 6 - Human - (North of the wall) Wyldling/Celt - Ranger/Assassin.

Epic quest I Battle Log I Accountabilibuddies 3 5 I Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5

(STR) - 4 (DEX) - 1 (STA) - 3 (CON) - 6 (WIS) - 4 (CHA) - 2

"Spartans! Prepare for glory!" - King Leonidas

Pinterest I instagram I Goodreads 

Hi Calford

And welcome!

What a great inspirational story you have there, you have completed some of the goals I hope to achieve, (really want to do a Spartan!) and I hope to do dips and pull-ups unassisted at some point too.

Hope you don't mind the follow as you have already achieved so much and I look forward to reading more of your journey.

All the best to you!

Not a problem! If you want to do a spartan, you really should go for it. Sign up for a sprint. The whole spartan experience is great, theres a sense of community there for sure. If you have trouble with an obstacle, another spartan will help you out. Just be sure to be ok with burpees!

• Like 1

Damn, yeah you're doing an awesome job! I've done a bit of barbell training. Today I did Bench and overhead press. I need to start adding in more barbell squats as well. I did Stronglifts 5X5 for a while, but I wasn't consistent enough. I'm now trying to hit the barbell at least 3 times a week. On top of my training runs, and I feel like I should get some bodyweight stuff and yoga/foam rolling in. It's daunting but I don't have a lot to do otherwise. I still think I have quite a bit of weight to lose, however. I'm only 5'-11 but with my build, 200lbs seems to be a good fit. I'd appreciate any sort of advice. I've pretty much been doing most of this blind haha.

Thanks! I am definitely enjoying my strength gains. Over the past few years, I have been a fitness schizophrenic. Trying a little bit of everything. My only advice would be to remain consistent. Pick a program and stick with it! Hitting the barbell 3 days a week is good, but do you have a plan going into each workout? Do you have along term progression plan/goals? Things like that...

Thanks for the advice! I do need to get a regular workout plan going. Like this morning I did squats, bent over row, and deadlift. I'm still kind of stuck to the stronglifts 5x5 movements, but I think I need to focus on these exercises more. (As well as bench and Overhead press) But I have no idea what I'm going to do in the gym Friday. haha.

Thanks for the advice! I do need to get a regular workout plan going. Like this morning I did squats, bent over row, and deadlift. I'm still kind of stuck to the stronglifts 5x5 movements, but I think I need to focus on these exercises more. (As well as bench and Overhead press) But I have no idea what I'm going to do in the gym Friday. haha.

Haha yeah it definitely helps to know what your plans are. I have a spreadsheet with every workout planned (exercises, weights, sets, and reps) for the next 16 weeks! :D

• Like 1

I'm with wovercast.

I do the stronglifts myself and love it (although it has only been since 5th of January) but I do like the "you know what your doing next workout" plan. I use the app as well and it keeps track of everything for me. I tried to use the spreadsheet that Mehdi allows to download but this became very complex if you miss any workouts for any reason :?

I do intent in the next challenge add more cardio and yoga to my schedule, will see how that all fits in :)

• Like 1

Level 6 - Human - (North of the wall) Wyldling/Celt - Ranger/Assassin.

Epic quest I Battle Log I Accountabilibuddies 3 5 I Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5

(STR) - 4 (DEX) - 1 (STA) - 3 (CON) - 6 (WIS) - 4 (CHA) - 2

"Spartans! Prepare for glory!" - King Leonidas

Pinterest I instagram I Goodreads