Forums are back in action! ×

I have been beaten and wish to join the Rebellion

Yeah, so awkward first post will be awkward...

So, I have just stumbled across the first major dent in my fitness journey. After two and a half months of watching what I eat and a month of exercising daily, I found myself eating junk food and slacking off for the past three days.

Part of it was planned – a conscious act to stray away from my diet as it had been really taxing lately, and I had planned to eat more anyhow. Little did I know that that "slip" would take hold of me and threaten to undo all I have been working for since November.

What caused this is irrelevant. For while the trigger was an external cause, the real reason is that I passed a major milestone a couple of weeks back. For the first time in three years, I am under 60 kg (132 lbs). In fact, at 58kg I reached a weight I am very comfortable with, and though I would wish to go down to 55kg (121lbs) I cannot find the necessary motivation for it. I am healthy, I am rather pleased with what I see in the mirror and I can already start feeling some muscle in my limbs. The general opinion is that I am "fit". In reality though, I am incapable to do more than wall push-ups without falling into bad form. 

This made me realise that if I wanted to succeed, it is time to change my priorities from weight loss to getting stronger. Strength, and more specifically, the ability to take upon a physical activity without being worried that my body may not be up to the task, is my ultimate goal. So far, I have been using MyFitnessPal, but have become rather disillusioned with the forums, the "count calories and lift heavy or go home" mantra. I already know that won't help me achieve my goals.

So I decided to join the Rebellion.

My name is Miw-Sher Bastet. I am a 23 years old aspiring artist (still having to do 1-2 years of study), 59 kg on the scale post-slip. My aims are for strength, health and becoming a badass yogi that can do awesome calisthenic tricks. I love Dr Who, Sherlock, Firefly, Terry Pratchett and anything from Isaac Asimov. My Bachelor thesis was an analysis of the portrayal of the humanity of robots in Science Fiction movies and literature. Yes, really. Also, I dislike clubbing but will never say no to a pint at a pub.

That would be it. I am also looking forward to the next 6-week challenge and hope that the website will live up to the expectations I have built in the past 5 days of receiving Steve's introductory e-mails. :D

(Also, I really need someone to convince me, now, that throwing away that 1,5l bottle of Coke that my friends left me here is not wasting food, but throwing away toxic poison. Please. I don't even like sodas that much anymore. They all taste like liquid sugar and evil to me.)

• Like 2

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Welcome, Miw-Sher! Sounds like you've made some good progress already :D Yes, this place will probably live up to your expectations - it's a pretty awesome place with awesome people for motivating you to do cool things. 

Oh, and if you don't want to throw away the coke, use it to clean your house?

• Like 1

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

It is never a waste to throw away something that you do not want and should not want to put in your body.  The real waste would be to drink it and then have to work it off.  My family always said that one should get their money's worth at buffets, but a wise person taught me that my money's worth provided for the food that I enjoyed eating.  If I find it worth the price to go the restaurant and eat nice portions of vegetables and good proteins, then I don't need to do anything else.  It is just wasteful to fill my body with stuff I don't need just because it was there.

Go and throw that drink away.  It tastes like pure sugar because that is what it is.  YUK!

• Like 1

@Teagarden thank you. :) I had no idea you could clean anything with Coca Cola. I need to try it on my kitchen floor tonight.

@terryd775 that convinced me. :D if cleaning the kitchen fail I will throw it away. 

• Like 1

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Hey, your story does sounds similar to mine. My longest streak on MyFitnessPal is a little over a month, but I was fed up with it. I'm not a list of numbers--I am not a robot! Your thesis sounds interesting, too. It reminds me of a paper I wrote last semester that mentioned how the combination of music and lyrics in Sweeney Todd both humanized and kind of, well, "mechanized" the main character, among other effects.

And you know what else? I've also been in a three-day slump. Let's ally and end this, fellow rebel! :)

Oh, by the way, I did a rough cost analysis of that Coke. Here's what I found:

The values for the top few ingredients are...

Water: <$.01

HFCS: At ~$600/metric ton and 165g of sugars per 1.5 L bottle, there is about <$.001 worth of syrup in your bottle

Caramel color: I wouldn't pay to drink this. Found this interesting article on a possible carcinogenic effect, though:

http://consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/01/caramel-color-the-health-risk-that-may-be-in-your-soda/index.html

Phosphoric acid: I don't know how much is in Coke. But based on an answers.com estimate, I'll say it's about 3 g. Still <$.1 in value.

I'm going to stop there. It would be a waste to buy and ingest the concoction.

• Like 1

@Jurei sure! I need allies! Allies are great!

That's funny, because a strong part of my thesis focussed on how creativity was used to represent their humanity – so I was looking at robots that create art, essentially. (There are exactly 3 examples in pop culture ) One more obscure example actually had a music tune to it, played by a robot that had the same effect. Unfortunately I had to scrap that part because the whole thing was getting too long already, but it was interesting.

Bahahahaha. I love the price analysis of coke. :D

@Jurei sure! I need allies! Allies are great!

That's funny, because a strong part of my thesis focussed on how creativity was used to represent their humanity – so I was looking at robots that create art, essentially. (There are exactly 3 examples in pop culture ) One more obscure example actually had a music tune to it, played by a robot that had the same effect. Unfortunately I had to scrap that part because the whole thing was getting too long already, but it was interesting.

Bahahahaha. I love the price analysis of coke. :D

I am just going to do what I always should have and drink chinotto from now on (which is a sort of coke you can find in Italy, but it's made with fruits)

asp-0202750_1.jpg