Forums are back in action! ×

Climbing back on the wagon

It's been almost a year since I last visited the Nerd Fitness Forums. I have occasionally still tried to get on track but I can never seem to get back at it for more than a couple of weeks, life just always gets in the way. My dad went into the hospital, i got the flew, i broke my toe. Things always happened and I would just quit, and then spend weeks/ months before trying again. This time needs to be different, it has to be different, I have a wedding and honeymoon in 8 months, and the last thing I want is to spend my wedding day worried about weather my back fat is hanging over the back of my dress.

But after literally years of back and fourth "health kicks"I need a lifestyle change, because I don't want to just get in shape for my wedding, I want to get in shape for the rest of my life. Now I just have to figure out how to make myself stick to it. This is what I've come up with thus far:

The Don't Be a Quitter Plan

-I plan on signing up for a 5k (if I pay for it I'll do it, if I'm going to do it I'll train for it)

-Try and find a work out buddy (When I had a friend I went to the gym with I was in the best shape of my life, because it made going fun. However making the fiance a work out buddy was the worst idea ever)

-Don't do too much at once(I have consistently set expectations for myself too high, and failed and quit because i got frustrated)

That's what I have so far. Any other tips or ideas are more than welcome.

• Like 1

Amandolin
Level 3|Nymph
|STR 6|DEX 4|STA 5|CON 5|WIS 2|CHA 2|

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea"-Isak Dinesen
Challenge: 1, 2, 3, 4

Hey :) These look like excellent ways to complete your goals! I'm working towards a 5K myself right now. I've resigned to the fact that I won't complete the current challenge as I'd hoped, but I'm not giving up. If you need a virtual workout buddy I'm here for you :) I've been doing the Zombies, Run! 5K app and it's been pretty awesome. I'm half way through week 5 right now. Anyways, I think it's great that you are working on getting healthy for life and not just your wedding. Congrats on your wedding by the way! I know it can get a bit stressful planning those sometimes :D My fiance and I just had to change our wedding date due to finances :P Good luck on all your goals. Feel free to add me or message me whenever if you need a boost or to just chat! 

Great perspective on getting fit for life, not an event, no matter how important.  I can identify strongly with your third goal - I'm just respawning myself after a previous successful weight loss, life came apart, regained weight, series of episodes.  I've been reviewing what worked, and making small changes was crucial for me.  Wishing you the best in being patient and making steady progress!  Good luck!

OrcWarrior

Current challenge  6 5 4 3 2 1 Favorite recipes

Level 4 ranger  Str 13 Dex 4 Sta 12 Con 12 Wis 11 Cha 5

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991