Forums are back in action! ×

I Wanna Be a Big Damn Hero Again!

A long time ago, when I was young, I was a big damn hero. I was a big fat kid who was sculpted and honed into a war machine. I remember coming home from Boot Camp, going on a 5 mile run before sunrise, and then doing pull ups on a rafter in my parent's garage. I was so amazed at my physical prowess and I reveled in my fitness. 27 years later, that hero inside of me is sick and tired of being sick and tired.

So on January 1st (I know, I know... New Years Resolutions are lame) I decided to take that Hero's Journey all of you have embarked on.

I started with diet since I knew that's where I could see immediate results. I immediately cut all grains (breads, crackers, pasta, etc...) and all junk and fast food. I started watching what I ate and infused my intake with lots of vegetables and baked chicken.

I also started doing exercises. Just simple things like push ups, leg lifts, jumping jacks, and running in place. I wanted to start slow so that I wouldn't get hurt or discouraged.

After 3 weeks of eating real food for the first time in a long time, I felt more energy and and started to see results on the scale. As an unexpected benefit, I started to understand my body's response to my efforts. For example, I was still eating cheeses (shredded cheddar in salads, cheese slices on rice cakes) but I could tell the dairy was really making me feel bloated and stopped up (sorry for the TMI). So I took it out of my diet. My guts were very thankful to me!

Also at Week 3 (2 weeks ago) I decided to join a gym. Believe it or not, I wanted to work out at a place where no one knew me.

I was feeling stronger, more energetic, and happy. But my screwy brain wasn't satisfied. 10 pounds down, pants starting to feel loose, people at work starting to notice... all these things should have been ample motivation for me. Yet I found myself scouring the internet for inspirational stores to motivate me.

Then I stumbled upon Nerd Fitness.

Here I have found so much inspiration, knowledge, and encouragement. I really enjoy everything I read here and I am getting a ton of information! But most of all, I have gained a perspective on my journey from reading about all of your journeys. I now appreciate each workout I complete. I revel in the food choices I make each day. And even when I feel like I've stumbled (eating 2 spoons of peanut butter before I go to bed), I know that my journey will have its shares of potholes along with its express lanes.

So thank you everyone for being here. I am excited to be a part of the rebellion!

• Like 4

We are all big damn heroes...each of us fighting our demons/battles/bosses/etc.

I also agree that this place is a great place for likeminded people with similar experiences and a wealth of knowledge.

Nice to meet you avataris :)

• Like 1

Level 6 - Human - (North of the wall) Wyldling/Celt - Ranger/Assassin.

Epic quest I Battle Log I Accountabilibuddies 3 5 I Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5

(STR) - 4 (DEX) - 1 (STA) - 3 (CON) - 6 (WIS) - 4 (CHA) - 2

"Spartans! Prepare for glory!" - King Leonidas

Pinterest I instagram I Goodreads 

I know the feeling Avataris, thought I was all that and a bag of chips when I was active duty.  Funny part is, now that I'm in my 30s, I'm in better shape than I ever was.  Stick with it, you'll constantly amaze yourself on what you can do.

• Like 1
64%
64%

Get Deadlift to 405 lbs for 2x6 - Current 260 lbs  2/16/14

Everyone should be the big damn hero of thier own story. I'm delighted to hear that you are getting into gear to be one in yours again.

When you stop learning, you stop living. This doesn't just mean learning new facts, this is learning yourself and your limits. If you don't know where your limits are today, how will you ever break them tomorrow?