Forums are back in action! ×

4 inches off belly in one month-booyah

woohoooo. 4 inches gone off belly since May 16th-WOOHOO.

this is hugely motivational for me, bc the weight scale has stayed THE SAME. I'm going to just go ahead and buy a better scale that shows body fat if possible so I can get a better idea from now on :)

Currently belly is 33 inches.

What I find so confusing is the weight loss is the most apparent in my bellyt. However thighs, biceps, hips all have lost one inch only. I'm not upset, but I am just surprised since I don't do any crunches or stomach exercises. Yet I do plenty of strength training for my arms, legs, jog and kickbox. I know you can't spot reduce fat, I am just surprised as to why the inches are more evident here.

Guest tparker

You can't isolate where to lose fat, it goes across the entire body.

Your legs and arms naturally have a large amount of muscle in them, whereas belly is a large tank of storage for fat. So your legs/arms what not are increasing in mass with the muscle gain, the inches in fat come off wherever it can get. Since bulking the ab area is nigh to impossible, you will see losses there much greater than elsewhere.

Guest tparker

No matter WHAT you do, you will be a little off. The only true way of measurement is water displacement. Everything else is an estimation. Calipers, fancy scales, measurements and equations. You are inherently using an estimation. Just be relatively careful, keep good notes on where you are measuring, and how, and you can eliminate a lot from your estimation.

'Perfection is not a requirement, although some may say we desire it.'

However, you'll go mad chasing it.

Obsession: I got mine at Vitamin Shoppe, I assume GNC or equivalent would have them also. They were $10-$12 or so.

Curvy: I know what you mean, the lack of exactness is supremely annoying; I focus on the delta. I might be using the wrong spot, but I use the same spot every time I use the calipers, so the relative change is what matters.

Same thing with my weight - I do it just before lunch every day, so I know I'm on "empty"; if I can't make it then, I skip it that day. Better than psyching myself out and hitting it in the afternoon, and thinking I'm a fatty.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Stats as of July 25:   STR: 9.5   DEX: 5.75   STA: 7.5   CON: 15.25   WIS: 6   CHA: 8.5

Achievements:

Tough Mudder CO 2012 (4hrs)

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper