Forums are back in action! ×

Increasing push ups

I have been doing the Angry Birds Workout for a while. I really want to level up in push ups. For the past 8 weeks I have been trying to go from doing 20 pushs in 3 sets to 2 sets. And I'm just stuck. I can't seem to get higher than 6. Today I did 8 in one set but the next set I couldn't get past 5. And there is no pushing it. My arms just give out. When I started in April,I couldn't do 1. So, I have improved and am happy with that. But still, I really want to do the magic number of 10 push ups. Any suggestions?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Ladders: Might go something like 1-2-3-4-5

Pyramids: 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1

Grease The Groove: 5 every half hour/whenever you think of it

Stew Smith's Push-Up Push: Originally 200 every day, you just multiply your max (8) by 4 and try and hit that number. So, 32 in any way for 10 days, 3 days of rest, and then you test. A possible way could be 8 sets of 4.

The numbers here are just suggestions, fill in whatever based on how you feel/how much time you want to spend.

I have increasing my push ups as one of my challenges this six weeks and i have been using this program. http://hundredpushups.com/ It works with people who can only do a few push ups to people who can do several sets. You might find the routines helpful.

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

@EBM1224 Thanks, I had tried to step it back some. I worked until I could do 10 inclines in a row. It really helped my form. I may try doing incline again, just lower.

@Smurray . Thanks I tred 100 push ups , I know it works for people. I was frustrated. I just can't seem to increase the #'s as fast as 100 push up wants you to

@Armymbm I'm thinking of trying grease the groove. I'd heard people on this board talking about it, but never knew what it meant.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I have increasing my push ups as one of my challenges this six weeks and i have been using this program. http://hundredpushups.com/ It works with people who can only do a few push ups to people who can do several sets. You might find the routines helpful.

I did this but maxed out at around 20 a set with that program.

The best way I found to increase my push-ups is actually doing bench presses. By increasing my overall chest strength, it made each push-up easier and I could do more. I can now do 3 sets of 30 chest to decks and 3 sets of 20 between chairs (which allows you to go deeper).

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf