Forums are back in action! ×

Ok, you''ve heard of curling in the squat rack?

Last week, I saw someone squatting on the bench. he was somehow facing the bar, straddling the bench, getting under the bar and squatting. I think I actually stared....but no pic. 

o_O

I mean, I suppose if he wants to train parallel depth by sitting on the bench, I can sorta-kinda-ish understand that.  But with the bar?!?  Yea, that's odd.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

He was doing box squats. I'm doing them as deadlift assistance now but they apparently are having greater carry over to my high bar which doesn't make a lot of sense. Box squats are great.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Last night at my work camp gym this... gentleman... was doing stretching with resistance bands in the squat rack with his towel hanging up, drink bottle, iphone and obnoxiously loud pill speaker all placed strategically to say 'I am using this equipment'. Every so often he'd leave all his stuff and walk to the other side off the gym and wave small dumb bells around, then come back to the squat rack and balance on one foot and do more stretches/yoga things.

It was maddening. Waited 15 minutes and then gave up.

I'll just leave this here...

8a8b55a86e70192b807a3c62242f3cdd9568cf98

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Oh the joys of being able to curl, squat, press, bench, stretch, and do chin-ups in my rack without anyone getting worked up about it. #justgymhermitthings

On a more serious note, IrishMartian, did you ask if you could use the squat rack to... squat? I don't know commercial gym etiquette but from what I've gathered it's a supreme douchebag that doesn't let someone else work in.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

On a more serious note, IrishMartian, did you ask if you could use the squat rack to... squat? I don't know commercial gym etiquette but from what I've gathered it's a supreme douchebag that doesn't let someone else work in.

He was pretty settled in and I tried the not so subtle hints, but he wasn't having any of it. Got the secondary problem that this is a work camp, so the people in the gym are people I work with. Makes it awkward. Also motivating to try and drag my ass out of bed and try to do it in the morning.

Don't be subtle but don't be an asshole either. Just walk up and ask if you can get your squats in between his sets.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"