Forums are back in action! ×

Depressed College Student TAKES BACK HER LIFE

Hello there new friends!

Preface: Are studious nerds allowed? I don't play video games but I could discuss the early Greek concept of the soul with you no problem. I love studying so much that I use it as a coping mechanism- not healthy!!

I'm a college student struggling with balancing my studies amongst everything else in my life. I have battled depression since sixth grade. I was diagnosed with clinical depression with a seasonal pattern, or Seasonal Affective Disorder, about five years ago. I was a four year varsity athlete and high achieving student in high school. Being involved in a team sport really helped my depression in the winter months. Now that I'm in college I have completely stopped exercising and it has taken a toll on my physical and mental health. I am 5'9" and weighed 145 when I started school 2 years ago. Now I'm 165 and counting. Knowing that most of my weight gain is caused from my depression is very bothersome. I would consider myself an emotional eater except that I eat for EVERY emotion. Stress, sadness, happiness, anger- it's a problem. Like many women, I struggle with my self image. I went through times of starving myself and overexercising in high school. Not productive. I do not want to exercise or eat healthy to be skinny. I want to exercise to be happy. I want to change my eating habits because soon I will be cooking for myself! I need to start it off right!! :)

Now that you know my background, it's time to bring myself out of the depression pit! I have been put on medication before but I always found that exercise and other coping skills suited my personality better. I've tried to find friends to work out with but they all have the same excuses as me (homework, class, too tired, etc) so I am reaching out to this amazing support group instead!! I'm going to be TWENTY next month, and my adolescence will be over. I need to figure out how to take care of myself before I get out of school into the real world! Today I completed Day 1 of my interval/strength training plan I found on the nerd fitness resource page. Woot!

Goals:

1. Participate in track meets this summer. I will get back into shape so that I can throw the discus at my community track meets this summer!

2. Exercise 5 days a week. I will be doing the beginner body weight workout 3 times a week and interval training 2 times a week. I will do this March 12-31: 3 weeks. Then I will change it up with more advanced strength training and maybe throwing in a long run once a week (I used to run XC!) 

3. One dessert per day. This is challenging in the dining hall when there are cakes and cookies always available. But cutting out excess crappy food is going to make my body function better!

Challenges I may face:

1. College cafeteria food. I am on a meal plan and my school only has one shoddy midwest cafeteria. Everything is covered in gravy, I swear. I read Steve's article on college eating and found that helpful, but if you have any other advice, please share!

2. Depression, obviously. It's difficult to even shower on some days. For those of you who also have mental health struggles- how do you stay on track with exercise/food?

I am so excited to complete these next three weeks of exercise. Time to take my life back!

Everybody's allowed here! Plus, the word "nerd" is thrown around so much that pretty much everybody is a nerd in some sense or another. Also, you've already found someone who'd happily talk about the greek concept of the soul (psyche, was it? I remember reading something about Plato's understanding of the psyche, but that was quite some time ago). I'm more into physics, so my philosophical knowledge is far from at a good standard. :D

First off, you're in good hands. I've been here for a very short while but I've gone from a complete night owl and candy addict to someone who wakes up at 6:00AM and hasn't touched candy for ages (...uh... a little more than a week but that's ages for me). The wealth of information and support you can get from the folks on this forum is amazing, really.

Your goals are great and working towards a goal will absolutely help with your depression (my mother found this out through fine art when she was going through depression herself). 

Have you got a challenge thread up yet? If you do decide to take one up, give me a shout and I'll be cheering you on. :D

Assassin - Level 3 

STR: 6 | STA: 3 | DEX: 1 | CON: 6 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 1

Challenge 1 - RESTART -  Challenge 2

Welcome!  Tracking progress such as calorie counts, weight lifted, distance ran, steps taken, etc. has always been a large motivating thing for me and keeps me consistent.  I enjoy tracking and analyzing data, granted I am an engineer by education and trade, so it may fit my personality type more than for others.  I enjoy setting goals and achieving personal bests, it keeps me coming back day after day.  Perhaps something along those lines could get you up and moving?  Perhaps remembering the age-old quote from Socrates could help as well?

“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.â€

Best of luck on your journey!

"Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back" - Samurai Maxim

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

Well the good news is, spring is coming, so your SAD should be on its way out.

(You've probably heard by now that blue and white light in your face in the mornings helps combat it. Exposure to the sky for minimum of 20 minutes is best. Also, as soon as the sun comes out, run outside and strip as much clothing as you can get away with. Take it from a lifelong resident of Seattle, ground zero for sun-deprived coffee zombies.)

Don't think "less food," think "more GOOD food." Specifically veggies of course, and whatever good proteins and oils you can get. If they have a salad bar, pile up your bowl with it. If they don't, whine and threaten to sue until they add one. (Just kidding. Ask politely and get other students to sign a petition. And then picket the administrative building. Yay, college activism! ;) ) and eat eggs or plain oatmeal with fruit for breakfast, if possible.

Classical nerds are the best kind of nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Welcome to the Rebellion! I'm also a college student who has been struggling with emotional eating and academic stress. I just want to let you know that the community here is really helpful and supportive. I'm doing the current 6 Week Challenge and have been making some progress with my diet and fitness goals. I wish you all the best on your own journey towards improved health. Message me if you ever want chat :)

"Don't trade what you want most of all for what you want in the moment." 

Still figuring out how to internet. So I'm replying to all of you. THANK YOU SO MUCH. Your encouragement and kind words have been very helpful this past week. I am happy to say that I worked out 5 days this past week and I have been doing a good job not eating a pack of oreos per day! Also for every unhealthy food I eat I am eating one healthy option as well. Starting to implement good thoughts with good food!

I want to start the next 6 week challenge on April 5th so my goal is just to keep up what I'm doing and then pick up more in April!!

• Like 2

Welcome to the Rebellion (from another Newbie)! I have a BA in Art history/Classical studies, so you're my kind of geek ;)

I completely sympathize with the cafeteria food issue. When I moved into the dorms, I gained 20+ pounds my first quarter (and I'm only 5 foot tall!).  I spent Thanksgiving break buying new pants that didn't make me feel like I was being garroted at the waist. Eventually, I learned a few tips that might help you:

1) Portion control - Those plates of pasta they were giving us I was later able to turn into four meals.

2) Eventually, though, I put myself on the lowest food plan allowable and bought myself a tiny one-person rice cooker, a mini-fridge, and learned how to use the common room microwave to steam vegetables. I made my own breakfast and lunch, and then tried to find the best cafeteria options I could when I went out for dinner (my friends and I regularly met in the cafeteria). I realize you may not have the same options, but just keep to mind to be creative.

It did eventually help, though. I lost all of that weight by the time I graduated, and although that was *cough* 10 years ago, I've still kept it off. Mind you, I haven't been so good on the fitness side of things, but I'm trying to change that now ^_^

Current Goal: Be able to jog a continuous 5k 

Daily Battle Log

Klara goes the Distance - My first 6 Week Challenge (in progress)

@klarakimstories