Forums are back in action! ×

Halfway There

When I started losing weight last July, I weighed just over 150 kg, and for a long term goal I picked a target weight of 95 kg. 55 kg to lose. As of this week, my 7-day average weight is at 122.5 kg, so I'm at the halfway point - 27.5 kg gone, 27.5 kg to go. Took a little longer than I originally thought, but still cool.

On the not-as-impressive side, my lean body mass has been dropping a bit for the last few weeks, early on I was losing basically all fat and actually gaining LBM. This is not unexpected - I likely have a fair bit of muscle and supportive tissue dedicated to carrying weight around that's simply not there any more - but it does mean my body fat % hasn't been dropping at the same rate as my weight. Since my plan is to put weight loss on pause when I hit body fat of about 20% and build a bit of muscle before the final drive to 95 kg, this pushes the timetable back a bit.

But even that's good news, in that it means I'm not some kind of mutant freak. When I first started doing body fat calculations, I worked out my lean body mass and figured that hitting my goal weight would require dropping to bodybuilder body fat ranges, which seemed weird as the healthy weight at my height is usually pegged 10-15 kg lower than my target. Of course, it turns out that a certain amount of my lean body mass exists just to carry my weight around, and it's going to atrophy as that weight drops. Now it looks like once I hit 95 kg, I'll be at a reasonable body fat % to take a longer term approach to dropping the last 10 kg.

Thanks to the Nerd Fitness community, and especially to the honourable Misc. Beings Intent on Weight Loss, for being a big part of this!

For the non-metric among us, make approximate substitutions in this order: 330 lbs, 209 lbs, 121 lbs, 270 lbs, 60.5 lbs, 60.5 lbs, 209 lbs, 22-33 lbs, 209 lbs, 22 lbs.

• Like 1

"Curtain's up. Everyone's waiting for the hero to take the stage. And the spotlight's on you now." - Alfred, to Dick Grayson, Batman and Robin #2

Current Challenge

weightloss always takes longer than you think.  Congrats on your massive changes and best of luck on your future losses!!

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr