Forums are back in action! ×

Breaking a Squat Plateau!

So I've been running Candito's Linear Strength Program for about 2 months while while eating at a maintenance.  Last month I hit a brick wall on my squats at 205 lbs for 3x6.  Then the next week I struggled with 185 lbs for 3x6.

So I took it easy for 2 weeks on squats doing 3x8 of 135 or 4x6 of paused reps at 160.  Last week I tried some paused sets at 185, no problem.  Then tried 205 for 3x6 again.. Success! and I didn't feel like I was going to die.  This week tried out 210, it felt easier than last weeks 205!  Plateau broken!  Time to get to two plates!

51Tm7aj0tXL.jpg

• Like 3
64%
64%

Get Deadlift to 405 lbs for 2x6 - Current 260 lbs  2/16/14

Great job. What happened is that as you increased the weight, you eventually pushed past your limits to recover by the next workout. Since you weren't fully recovered, weights kept feeling heavier and heavier, as you kept doing more damage on top of undr recovered muscles, making them even more underrecovered for the next workout. You then deloaded, gave your body time to completely recover while keeping it active, and blew through the plateau. Nicely done.

• Like 3

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf