Forums are back in action! ×

humbled by the bar

well, only been doing "gym" style exercise for 6 months .... body weight, sandbags, some dumbell work,

I consider myself now in not to bad a shape, throwing a 30kg sandbag around, grappling with a 70kg bag trying to do bearhug squats .. hey I can even do sets of 10 rep pullups and weighted chin ups

Came to the conclusion the other day that I should compliment it with a barbell as well .... at my age apparently mixing it all up is the secret not to screw your tendons and joints up

so a foray in to the world of  SL 5x5 seemed like a good idea ... I already have a bench and squat stand with 50CM spotters, so a cheap 145kg + 7ft Olympic bar seemed like a good idea.

it turned up yesterday

Blooming hell ... the bar is only 20kg ... why does a 20kg bar seem so hard work to lump around compared to a 30kg sandbag ???

clearly what ever muscles pullups and sandbags work are NOT the same muscles that a barbell works .... I feel lameass weak sauce again .... completely humbled by my patheticness using the bar .... my bench press is that of an 8year old ... yet I can bench my daughter all day long ..... overhead press ??? ..... I think Ghandi could have done better

I do hope SL 5x5 does progress me quickly .. I feel soooooo weak !

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge