Forums are back in action! ×

The Perfect NF Gym?

I recently did a tour of the local gym and am frankly amazed at the huge amount of unnecessary equipment there was. Here's a giant room, filled to the brim with some $100k worth of equipment, and apart from the dreadmills, it's basically going unused.

This got me thinking...given the NF philosophy of lifting free weights and doing bodyweight exercises, what would be the perfect NF gym? Here's what I would love to see:

1. A dozen squat racks
  2. A running track 
  3. Lots of floor space (with varying degrees of padding)
  4. Kettle bells
  5. A Pool
  6. Hanging and climbing apparatus
  7. A rack of badass swords, spears, and other assorted weaponry (hey, I can dream, right?)

I'd gladly get rid of all the treadmills, cross trainers and weight machines for this.

So how about you? What would you like to see in your perfect NF gym?

• Like 7

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

1. A dozen squat racks
  2. A running track 
  4. Kettle bells
  5. A Pool
  7. A rack of badass swords, spears, and other assorted weaponry (hey, I can dream, right?)

8. A D&D table

All of the above.  Though I'd add lightsabers and real, actual protective sparring gear to #7.  

And as a side note, if this gym were anywhere remotely close to me, I'd join it in a New York Minute.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I recently did a tour of the local gym and am frankly amazed at the huge amount of unnecessary equipment there was. Here's a giant room, filled to the brim with some $100k worth of equipment, and apart from the dreadmills, it's basically going unused.

This got me thinking...given the NF philosophy of lifting free weights and doing bodyweight exercises, what would be the perfect NF gym? Here's what I would love to see:

1. A dozen squat racks
  2. A running track 
  4. Kettle bells
  5. A Pool

I'd gladly get rid of all the treadmills, cross trainers and weight machines for this.

So how about you? What would you like to see in your perfect NF gym?

I have a detail to add to the fantasy: labeled/colored weights. As in, each complete rack of weights is labeled or color-coded, so people don't just re-rack on the nearest available spot. I hate wasting time searching multiple racks for the weight I need. And it always seems like there's that one rack with nothing but one weight on it. I wouldn't care if that meant the various racks were segregated by number (5's over here, 10's over there, 15's in that corner, etc.) or by set (every rack has 5's, 10's, 15's, etc.): I just want to be able to walk over to a rack and instantly know if what I need is there or not.

Hey, you dream about assorted weapon availability, I dream about OCD fulfillment. :tongue:

• Like 4

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

I have a detail to add to the fantasy: labeled/colored weights. As in, each complete rack of weights is labeled or color-coded, so people don't just re-rack on the nearest available spot. I hate wasting time searching multiple racks for the weight I need. And it always seems like there's that one rack with nothing but one weight on it. I wouldn't care if that meant the various racks were segregated by number (5's over here, 10's over there, 15's in that corner, etc.) or by set (every rack has 5's, 10's, 15's, etc.): I just want to be able to walk over to a rack and instantly know if what I need is there or not.

Hey, you dream about assorted weapon availability, I dream about OCD fulfillment. :tongue:

Best gym I've ever been in had Eleiko bumper plates with signs everywhere showing how the color-coded plates should be placed on the squat rack pegs.  There were minor issues, but it was pretty consistently done.  For some reason, new plates in colors seemed to help.

I would have to say that a good gym needs decent lighting, ideally through skylights or big windows, and appropriate ventilation.  One of my favorite gyms had a couple of squat racks on a patio outside.  Aside from the rust issues, it was fantastic to be lifting out in the open air.  My gym in the city has almost no windows, just mirrors everywhere.  It's terrible.

• Like 4

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

Lose the running track and put it near the trailhead of some awesome mountain trails.

Add a bunch of box jump boxes, or a lot of big rocks outside, or a staggered-height brick wall...

And an archery range.

Nope.  Keep the track.  I need a flat quarter-mile track for pace work.

Also, some of you seem to be describing the Hunger Games training/demonstration room.

• Like 3

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

I love all these ideas, especially putting it near a mountainous trail head :) I think we're going to need a Kickstarter campaign to make this happen!

Also, another suggestion..it would be cool if there was a free Wifi work area, and maybe a nap room.

People would just live there if it had free WiFi and a nap room :P Although maybe it could be set up so you had to complete a workout before you got the password, or something?

Nah.... on second thought, free Wifi would probably be more likely to kill the gym spirit than help it. Plus, think of all the non-gym-goers who would come around just to sit and browse FB for hours.

Maybe wired stations with 30 minute/1 hour time limits? Have a couple with computers already there and up for use, for those people who don't have laptops.... and I just realized I'm describing the MWR tent from FOB Shank.

Nevermind. I vote no internet at the gym. Just gym things.

• Like 1

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

People would just live there if it had free WiFi and a nap room :tongue: Although maybe it could be set up so you had to complete a workout before you got the password, or something?

Nah.... on second thought, free Wifi would probably be more likely to kill the gym spirit than help it. Plus, think of all the non-gym-goers who would come around just to sit and browse FB for hours.

Maybe wired stations with 30 minute/1 hour time limits? Have a couple with computers already there and up for use, for those people who don't have laptops.... and I just realized I'm describing the MWR tent from FOB Shank.

Nevermind. I vote no internet at the gym. Just gym things.

Hmm good point....maybe pedal-powered wifi? ;)

I'd like to see Achievements linked to your gym account somehow. I have an image of walking into the gym, swiping my wristband, and getting a "Congratulations! You are now level 5!" Pop up somewhere...oh and guild-oriented decoration and configuration. OK I really want to do this now!

• Like 4

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

I'd like to see Achievements linked to your gym account somehow. I have an image of walking into the gym, swiping my wristband, and getting a "Congratulations! You are now level 5!" Pop up somewhere...oh and guild-oriented decoration and configuration. OK I really want to do this now!

That's a great idea!  

The downside to all this is it would cost an arm and a leg.  Probably well over a million dollars, once you figure in the building, utilities, renovations, and construction on top of all the equipment.  :(   That sad face doesn't cut it.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

That's a great idea!

The downside to all this is it would cost an arm and a leg. Probably well over a million dollars, once you figure in the building, utilities, renovations, and construction on top of all the equipment. :( That sad face doesn't cut it.

It may not be that bad. With a rental space, and adding new equipment as you go, it would probably be cheaper than setting up a standard gym. What we would need most is space. We'd save a bundle by not paying for treadmills, smith machines, cross trainers and all that.

The main issue would be that it would be very hard to turn a profit without becoming a globogym.

• Like 1

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

What we would need most is space.

Yea, that would easily be the hardest part.  Well, that, and having most of the people on NF spread out over the whole dang world.  lol.  C'mon guys!  Travel to the NF gym 3 times a week for your workout!  Nevermind the international airfare.  haha.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Yea, that would easily be the hardest part. Well, that, and having most of the people on NF spread out over the whole dang world. lol. C'mon guys! Travel to the NF gym 3 times a week for your workout! Nevermind the international airfare. haha.

Lol yeah there is that... :) we'll need to add teleporters to the list I guess...
  • Like 1

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

An idea that's been passed around my group of friends for a workshop is to rent a space and have everyone store their tools there for everyone's use.  Then the business aspect is just overhead and insurance.  Something similar could work for an NF gym, as long as you made it members only (don't want random people wandering in and hurting themselves or damaging equipment).

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

An idea that's been passed around my group of friends for a workshop is to rent a space and have everyone store their tools there for everyone's use. Then the business aspect is just overhead and insurance. Something similar could work for an NF gym, as long as you made it members only (don't want random people wandering in and hurting themselves or damaging equipment).

I love the grassroots idea. If there was any model that would see some form of an NF gym become reality, my bet is it's something like this.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

We actually have a "tool library" in my neighborhood.  I've never used it because the website is terrible and they expect a 'donation' to borrow tools, but the idea is very good.

a few years ago someone asked us to imagine the ideal NF gym.  IIRC my idea involved a treehouse, because.

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.